1.    #1  
    What's this all about? Any relevance for us?
    Aloke

----
    http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/tech...ne-E-Mail.html

Cingular Introduces E - Mail Access on Cells
    By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 12:42 a.m. ET

NEW YORK (AP) -- Cingular Wireless is introducing a service for nonbusiness users to get BlackBerry-like mobile access to their personal e-mail accounts from AOL, Yahoo and MSN Hotmail on a cell phone.

The new service, powered by OZ Communications Inc., is designed to adapt the look and capabilities of a Web portal or e-mail program such as Outlook to the limited screen size, keyboard and processing power of a garden variety handset.

The Java-based e-mail application initially will be available to download on existing phones starting Monday with 5 models from Motorola Inc. and one from Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. It also is being pre-installed on new phones, though not immediately through all Cingular sales channels.

There's no monthly charge for Cingular Mobile Email, but users will need to subscribe to one of the company's wireless Internet plans with a monthly allotment of data usage. Jim Ryan, a Cingular vice president, said a $5 monthly data plan should provide sufficient capacity to check one's e-mail a few times daily.

The Cingular application and a service recently introduced by Sprint Nextel Corp. to deliver Yahoo mail to cell phones are designed to minimize clicks as well, while offering other BlackBerry-like features such as immediate notification of new e-mails as they arrive online.

The Sprint service, provided by Seven Networks Inc., also features access to one's online address book, a capability not currently available with Cingular's new offering.

But the Cingular service is the first with a wide array of popular e-mail portals, including the AOL and AIM services from Time Warner Inc., the Yahoo and SBC-Yahoo services from Yahoo Inc., and the MSN Hotmail service from Microsoft Corp.

Rather than pushing a chunk of every e-mail to the phone, as occurs with a BlackBerry, the OZ application first alerts users that a new message has arrived. Users can then preview messages and decide which to open or delete, minimizing download costs.

While the alerts are free, ''we have found most consumers turn that feature off because they find it annoying,'' said Mogensen.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  2.    #2  
    Well, they have some info on it at

http://www.cingular.com/media/mobile_email

That page shows the Treo as compatible, although following the links doesn't make it obvious as to where to download it from...

I hope this will co-exist peacefully with Versamail and Xpress Mail (and will not be included in the next Cingular ROM update!!)
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    That page shows the Treo as compatible, although following the links doesn't make it obvious as to where to download it from...
    I don't see where it says it's compatible with the Treo. In fact the only phones they say are compatible at this point are Motorola and they say more will be supported in the future.

I suspect the Treo might never be supported, being a "PDA-like device." I believe they'll continue to push XPress mail as their business (including Treo) mail solution, which by the way does support Yahoo mail (via POP.)
    "These new applications will give Cingular customers easy-to-use, pre- configured access to their email and IM accounts without the need to be tethered to their desktop or having to purchase a high-end, PDA-like device."
    This new mobile mail is currently Java, and I don't think Java apps on the Treo can run in the background (checking for new mail etc.) but I'm not sure. If this is the case a Java implementation on the Treo won't ever really work right and they'd have to support a Palm OS native version of the app.

I'd be very interested in this regardless. I use Yahoo mail currently with Snappermail (which is just fine) but this implementation is still intriguing.
    Last edited by taylorh; 10/24/2005 at 10:54 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    I don't see where it says it's compatible with the Treo. In fact the only phones they say are compatible at this point are Motorola and they say more will be supported in the future.
    The page
    has a link (in Getting Started) for
    Make sure you have Cingular service and a compatible phone. at
    http://www.cingular.com/media/media_phones

Treo is listed on that page. Trying the next step "Download e-mail application to your phone. " leads to nowhere.

I'm very happy with Xpress Mail (when will Cingular/Seven release an update that has been in beta now for a while?).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    I'm very happy with Xpress Mail (when will Cingular/Seven release an update that has been in beta now for a while?).
    I like the Xpress Mail as well. Admittedly, I am a novice when it comes to what all is available for the Treo but why is Cingular pushing another email service when Versamail and XpressMail does the job? Wouldn't it make sense to improve upon these two programs before adding yet another email service?

Also, Aprasad, is there any means to dump the deleted emails without syncing the Treo?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop
    Also, Aprasad, is there any means to dump the deleted emails without syncing the Treo?
    I can't find any way ...

I am unable to sync this morning: error S7147 Server too busy to sync.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    The page
    has a link (in Getting Started) for
    Make sure you have Cingular service and a compatible phone. at
    http://www.cingular.com/media/media_phones

Treo is listed on that page. Trying the next step "Download e-mail application to your phone. " leads to nowhere.

I see where you were mislead:
    The Treo is listed on that page, but there is not a check mark in the row "Mobile Email". That check mark is only on the Motorola phones that are supported by this new email application.
    Also on http://www.cingular.com/media/mobile_email there's this quote "Mobile Email is available via download on the following phones: Motorola v180, v220, v400, v551 and v3 Razr. Just follow the simple download instructions below."
  8.    #8  
    Don't know how I missed all that. Need to get my eyes checked ....

PS: Any insight on the future updates to Xpress Mail?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop
    I like the Xpress Mail as well. Admittedly, I am a novice when it comes to what all is available for the Treo but why is Cingular pushing another email service when Versamail and XpressMail does the job? Wouldn't it make sense to improve upon these two programs before adding yet another email service?
    If you read the press release it talks about how mobile email has been available on Blackberries and PDA devices for a long time, but not on (consumer) cell phones. This application brings a java client to those phones with a relatively small memory footprint and reduced data usage (doesn't download the whole message.)
    So it's intended to suppliment what Xpress mail doesn't cover, which is almost all non-pda cell phones. Furthermore this new app is designed to work exclusively with AOL, Yahoo, and MSN. It doesn't even work with standard POP mail, so it's very focused toward it's audience.

I'm interested in it because I use Yahoo mail. I currently have no access to my Yahoo mail folders with POP mail access. I wish Yahoo would implement IMAP, but they haven't. Thiw new mail by OZ that Cingular has gives you access to all of your mail folders.
    Here's that press release:
    http://cingular.mediaroom.com/index....ases&item=1355
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G