Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have ran BackupMan several times and TT5 starts everytime. The last time I did the test, I checked dbCachetool and only had 600k of Max Alloc. Then I tried to run TT5. It stalled on the TomTom splash screen for about 20 seconds (about the same time dbcache tool takes to clear lots of memory) and then worked fine. I am assuming the PalmOS was working in the background to clear the necessary memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by dgelfuso
    I have ran BackupMan several times and TT5 starts everytime. The last time I did the test, I checked dbCachetool and only had 600k of Max Alloc. Then I tried to run TT5. It stalled on the TomTom splash screen for about 20 seconds (about the same time dbcache tool takes to clear lots of memory) and then worked fine. I am assuming the PalmOS was working in the background to clear the necessary memory.
    That sounds like pretty clear confirmation so that's excellent news! That may solve the last remaining major issue I have with the 650 (almost a year too late, but at least solved).

If anyone has the fw update and GoodLink, I'd like to hear about that as well. GL has a major footprint like TT5 and is my biggest reason forcing me to use dbCacheTool.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    Really nice overview Tom..
    Thanks - sounds like it make quickly become a moot point based on dgelfuso's results, but that's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    From my experience however, clicking clear with dbCacheToolDA (accessed via zLauncher) doesn't actually do anything. I've hit it multiple times and checked dbCache right after and the amount of space in the cache is always the same before and after.
    Could it be that you already had the max free cache that your setup would ever allow? For example, after everything is initialized there's no way I'll ever get above 4.7M free. I just ran a test and confirmed the DA worked for me (went from 2.9 Free to 4.7 free). Now that it's maxed, it won't change no matter how many more times I run the DA. That sounds like your experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    Summary

This is a complicated issue, but hopefully this article will help share what information the Treo Community has figured out. We can only hope that PalmOne will continue enhancing PalmOS and improve the stability and usefulness of our favorite device the do-everything, know-everything Treo.
    Great Tom, thanks a lot ! Your settings resolve a lot of my "out of memory" problems...
    Glad to hear it. fwiw, I updated that article to add a few other notes and posted it here for posterity
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12