1.    #1  
    So, I've had my Enfora WiFi sled for one week now. It's certainly a cool device. I havn't had any trouble making it sync up and all the palm apps that know about networking seem to know how to use the WiFi that's now attached. Not only that, but moving from WiFi to GPRS and back again is about as painless as you could expect.

I bought the sled for two reasons: 1) I'm a heavy user and Rogers GPRS is STUPID EXPENSIVE and 2) I want to run a SIP client on the phone in addition to the GSM phone.

As for #1, ChatterMail shows the weakness in this product: it's battery. ChatterMail (of course) nails the link all day, but doesn't transfer much data. With ChatterMail on, the adaptor lasts about 3 hours on its battery. Largely, this means that I have it plugged into the wall quite a bit and WiFi becomes "convenient, but wired, networking."

Besides the battery life with ChatterMail, this device works well. I don't know what the speed of the palm serial/USB interface is ... but it's "slow" ... regardless, I do get about twice as much speed from the WiFi on average compared to GPRS. The latency, of course, is excellent. On GPRS, 1/2 second latencies are par. On WiFi, 20ms to 50ms has been typical.

As for #2, I'm still looking for a SIP phone. There was something called 'gphone' available awhile ago, but the website is now broken and I don't know anyone with a copy. Anyone have it? Anyone have some other SIP phone. I don't mind paying for one.
    id be very interested in a SIP phone as well
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Would anyone know if a Verizon Treo 650 equipped with the Enfora WiFi sled would be able to retrieve email wirelessly in Europe?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by drmns
    Would anyone know if a Verizon Treo 650 equipped with the Enfora WiFi sled would be able to retrieve email wirelessly in Europe?

Thanks!
    Sure, as long as you have WiFi access it should work. That's doesn't mean the phone part would work though.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Understood - many thanks!
    Hi there, saw your post. I am a Rogers customer too, and going to the poorhouse as a result of their pricing.

I am not that heavy a user, but would still like to save money.

I use Versamail and have my Gmail forwarded so that I can retrieve on my 650. I also have an account set up for my work email.

If I get Enfora, will I have to use another email client on the 650 to get the email via WiFi?

Thanks,

George Muenz
    Vancouver,
    Quote Originally Posted by naftalim
    Hi there, saw your post. I am a Rogers customer too, and going to the poorhouse as a result of their pricing.

I am not that heavy a user, but would still like to save money.

I use Versamail and have my Gmail forwarded so that I can retrieve on my 650. I also have an account set up for my work email.

If I get Enfora, will I have to use another email client on the 650 to get the email via WiFi?

Thanks,

George Muenz
    Vancouver,
    You won't need a different email application. Wi-Fi just provides a different kind of internet connection. All the applications you use online should work regardless of how the connection is made.
    I agree...Rogers are a bunch of freaking criminals for what they charge for data. Their roaming and long distance fees are even worse.