Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am trying to get my AOL working on my Treo 650. Should I use Versamail or XpressMail from Cingular or another one?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Chatter works very well with AOL - real time push email as AOL supports IMAP/IDLE. You get a 1 month free trial as well.
    I agree, I use AOL + chatter. it works great

Kevin
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Zelgo -

As far as I know, there is only 1 employee of the "Chatter Company" and his name is Marc Blank, the developer. All the "ra-ra" posts you see on TC for Chatter are from satisfied users. I don't recall seeing many of those for Versamail...
  5.    #5  
    Interesting...What's so much better about Chatter?
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude
    Interesting...What's so much better about Chatter?
    It works in the background, allowing you to do other things. When you get a new email, it 'pops' up allowing you to read it, respond, delete it and then go right into what you were doing. (i.e. surfing TC mobile version).

It does a ton of other things. Try it.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

7.    #7  
    Sounds great! Where would I find the POP/IMAP or whatever the settings are called for AOL?
    There's a Wizard in Chatter; AOL is pre-configured.

Marc
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Another vote for Chattermail!! Works great with AOL! Kudos to Mark..
    One last hurrah for Chatter. I had a bug with the program and it was not something I think anyone else had reported. From a $$$ standpoint, it wasn't worth Mr. Blank's time trying to correct a problem that only 1 user reported. I guess we are just all used to the Comcast/Verizon/ATT/Exxon/Microsoft brand of customer service. Well it was fixed with an apology for the delay. IMHO, this is the 1 reason I will keep giving this guy my support.
  11.    #11  
    Until I get Chatter, which seems to be a really good program, can someone please post the settings for AOL? I want to try to get AOL working on Versamail and then maybe switch to Chatter. Where would I get it, by the way?
    If chatter runs in the background will it still allow calls to come through? For some reason my calls are going straight to voicemail. I believe it is because of versamail running. I don't have anyother program that connects to the web enabled. I even turned the autosync off.
    Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell.
    D0lphin - Any app that uses data will cause some calls to be sent to voicemail. This is far worse on CDMA phones (Sprint and particularly Verizon). There are a wide variety of settings in Chatter that can help (like "Efficient Sync"), but the problem can never be completely eliminated.

Marc

p.s. This is a hardware and network limitation.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude
    Until I get Chatter, which seems to be a really good program, can someone please post the settings for AOL? I want to try to get AOL working on Versamail and then maybe switch to Chatter. Where would I get it, by the way?
    I was going to tell you to search but I recently read RickMG's post on how insensitive I have become (no, not really...I actually try to help.)

Check out this post. BTW you could have found it by searching "AIM IMAP SETTINGS".
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

zelgo - Your percentages are WAY off. Most people who get a Treo use email in their businesses, where the power and versatility of Chatter make a REAL difference. So get off your high horse and stop pretending you speak for "the people".

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo
    ...snip...
    No, the answer to every question on Treocentral is NOT "Chatter does it great!" (unless, of course, you work for the Chatter company and want to keep pushing the product...)
    Yes it is! I cooked my breakfast this morning with Chatter, and then used it to win my weekend tennis match!

High horse? I'm the one advocating for the free Versamail.
    Is Versamail really free for a T600 user? (Not that I would use it but you keep saying its free. ) My 600 came with just a simple POP client. I use IMAP so I had to pick another email program. The choice was Versamail or Chatter. I don't remember which one cost more but Chatter offered more. I would venture to guess that a lot of 650 users owned a 600 and probably had the same issue. They bought chatter then and would be unwilling to buy versamail now?

I don't disagree that it may be a good application, but I am so sick of seeing it as the answer to nearly every question on TreoCentral--particularly when the question is something like, "How do I configure Versamail?"
    First off, you would have to admit that what I underlined is a bit of an exaggeration right? Second, the question for this thread was "I am trying to get my AOL working on my Treo 650. Should I use Versamail or XpressMail from Cingular or another one?" It would appear that it would be appropriate that someone might mention chatter?

zelgo - Are you also illiterate (besides simply being a troll)? The poster asked WHETHER he should use VersaMail or another app which has monthly charges; please explain (I'm sure you can do it - you're such a smart guy) why it would be wrong to suggest a choice that is preferred by more Treo users than the two he asked about?

Marc
    High horse? I'm the one advocating for the free Versamail. I'm sure Chatter can make a difference for business email, but, unless your business is paying for it, do you really need to plunck down $40 if all you're doing is sending and receiving emails? Another thread talks about the ability to send mp3, etc via Chatter, but come on, the vast, vast, vast majority of us use it just to write.

I'm sure the are tons of folks using the Treo for business email (myself included) that are doing just fine without that "miracle" known as Chatter. It must be amazing to you how we can manage to muddle through life without it. I don't disagree that it may be a good application, but I am so sick of seeing it as the answer to nearly every question on TreoCentral--particularly when the question is something like, "How do I configure Versamail?"

you are very ill-informed (as well as rude!)

Many average users use chatter. The reason so many of us are so loyal to chatter is that it was spawned mainly through these forums and it has one of the great treo developers behind it.

It is so unusual for someone to back up a product the way Mr. Blanc has. Personally I will go to bat for service like that every time. So many of us get screwed daily with bad products/support when a one in a million product like chatter comes along it is a breath of fresh air and we want to share the experience.

As many have sad chatter is what makes the treo a complete device.

go away troll
    But, of course, I'm just a troll who has no idea what I'm saying...
    Indeed you are...

Anyways, if you're happy with the shovelware thats including, STFU and quit whining. I guess it's okay for you to be happy and satisfied, but not someone else who prefers a different program.

Oh well, there are plenty of people like you who drive around with factory AM radio's in their vehicles, and like Internet Explorer on their computers...so be it.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast