1.    #1  
    I previously posted a topic called "How do you like your Treo?" and described the issues I have with the Treo.

I've gotten past a few of them, mainly after switching from Versamail to Chattermail. Yes, I still get random resets, but they are down from the 2-3x a day and maybe now once every other day.

Here is the huge issue I have.
    I turn on the Treo and unlock the screen.
    I hit the "phone" button, and it switches to the phone app.
    The Treo then hangs for a long time, usually just long enough for the screen blank/lock to kick in again.
    What this means is I cannot immediately dial a call (such as the other day when I needed to call 911) or check voicemail.

If there is a solution to this I need to hear it, because I'm ready to toss this off the 8th floor.

Sprint customer service online has been no help, telling me to go to the store, where they now have an overnight requirement for any phone tech support (yes, overnight).

The delay goes away if I do a hard reset and just use the phone vanilla, but it defeats the whole point of OWNING the Treo. I have no weird apps or anything custom other than Chattermail.

Oh, every now and then I get a box coming up telling me memory is full (or almost full).

Help? Pretty please
    how much free ram do u have?
    Did you upgrade from a 600 by just syncing to your 600 userid? (Having done this causes the 650 many problems and could be the reason for your resets.) If so, we can fix that.

If not, it sounds like a 3rd party software conflict. After the hard reset and running vanilla, how do you restore Chatter? From a back up or by a fresh install?

Do you have pictures stored internal or to the SD card? (Move them to the card.)

If you are using Docs To Go: use this tool to free up 4mb of internal memory:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=83240

(If your memory is full -- you do have alot of 3rd party software in play, wierd or not wierd, one of them could be causing your problem.)

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by danix
    I previously posted a topic called "How do you like your Treo?" and described the issues I have with the Treo.

I've gotten past a few of them, mainly after switching from Versamail to Chattermail. Yes, I still get random resets, but they are down from the 2-3x a day and maybe now once every other day.

Here is the huge issue I have.
    I turn on the Treo and unlock the screen.
    I hit the "phone" button, and it switches to the phone app.
    The Treo then hangs for a long time, usually just long enough for the screen blank/lock to kick in again.
    What this means is I cannot immediately dial a call (such as the other day when I needed to call 911) or check voicemail.

If there is a solution to this I need to hear it, because I'm ready to toss this off the 8th floor.

Sprint customer service online has been no help, telling me to go to the store, where they now have an overnight requirement for any phone tech support (yes, overnight).

The delay goes away if I do a hard reset and just use the phone vanilla, but it defeats the whole point of OWNING the Treo. I have no weird apps or anything custom other than Chattermail.

Oh, every now and then I get a box coming up telling me memory is full (or almost full).

Help? Pretty please
    Disable Keyguard, or increase the time it takes before it kicks in. Sounds like you have it set for 5 seconds. Go to Prefs and you'll see Keyguard under "General". Click Keyguard and you'll see the drop down box where you can change the number of seconds Keyguard will wait before activating.

Also, if the only 3rd party app you have on your phone is Chatter, you must have something else that's taking up memory. Pictures, perhaps? If so, do as has already been said and move them to your memory card.
    What happens if you just hit the Phone button to turn on the Treo. You know you can do that, right?
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    All good advice. Also check to make sure you're running the latest ROM, 1.12. It fixed a dialing lag.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
  7.    #7  
    The lag is not with keyguard, it's for the phone to turn on. I hit the phone button and unlock, but it takes around 5-10 seconds before the Sprint logo appears in the upper left. Any reminders I have (warnings of email alerts, pages, etc) also do not appear until the phone kicks back in.

I never owned a 600. I am on 1.12 (have been for months).
    After a hard reset, I resync as myself because that's the only way to get my data back.

I have no other 3rd party apps. No huge pictures.
    Memory info reports total size 24270KB, total free 523KB.
    Thanks.
    After a hard reset, I resync as myself because that's the only way to get my data back.
    Well not exactly, you may be syncing back in some stuff you dont want.

I have no other 3rd party apps. No huge pictures.
    Memory info reports total size 24270KB, total free 523KB.
    Thanks.
    Less than a meg free? That may be part of the problem
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
  9.    #9  
    Could be, but I have no idea what is causing it.
    1. Backup everything up.
    2. Hard Reset
    3. Rename your Backup folder on your PC to Backup_old
    4. Set your hotsync conduit for PIM info to overwrite handheld so you just sync calendar/contacts/etc.
    5. Install each 3rd party app one at a time, trying the phone between each install and see if you can isolate the issue.
    I suggest you install Palm Internals (search the forum for appropiate thread) to find out what's slowing down your Treo. It is a utility that examine your device and checks to see whether any apps installed are slowing up the device in the backround. Many apps like McPHlling, older ver of keycaps etc negatively affect the Treo performance fyi...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  12.    #12  
    I'm not sure how else to explain this but I don't have any 3rd party apps.
    Vindigo, which I'm not even sure is installed, Filez, but other than Chatter nothing else.

The lag can best be explained as a freeze. When I hit that phone button, nothing else on the Treo works until it awakes, though it seems to buffer whatever buttons you hit during the process.

I can try the backup folder thing above but I doubt it will help.
    I'm not sure how else to explain this but I don't have any 3rd party apps.
    Vindigo, which I'm not even sure is installed, Filez, but other than Chatter nothing else.

The lag can best be explained as a freeze. When I hit that phone button, nothing else on the Treo works until it awakes, though it seems to buffer whatever buttons you hit during the process.

I can try the backup folder thing above but I doubt it will help.

If you have the latest firmware and a clean Treo with NO 3rd party apps, then the only thing I can think of is some network problem causing your Treo to delay or a hardware issue. I would take it to a CSR and have it tested out...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  14.    #14  
    This is weird - backup is under c:\program files\handspring. I upgraded from a handspring 2 years ago, but I dont think that would have any effect.
  15.    #15  
    OK, I did a hard reset, renamed the backup folder, and overwrote with the desktop for calendar, memos, etc. Reinstalled chatter, everything seems fine, however I lost all my chatter settings. Is there a way to get those back?
    This is weird - backup is under c:\program files\handspring. I upgraded from a handspring 2 years ago, but I dont think that would have any effect.
    Did you use the same userid as the Handspring? That could have been the problem, the 650 chokes on prior device software settings brought forward in this manner. What you just did in post #15 cleared up the situation. The only 1mb free with no pictures and no software installed was a strong indicator of a conflict of this sort. Hope everything is fine now.

Cheers, Perry.
  17.    #17  
    It seems a lot healthier, thanks. Yes, I used the same userid as the Handspring.
    If I could just figure out how I got chatter working before (and get a replacement registration code) I'll be all set.
    It seems a lot healthier, thanks. Yes, I used the same userid as the Handspring.
    If I could just figure out how I got chatter working before (and get a replacement registration code) I'll be all set.
    Hi Danix!

I'm not a Chatter user, some I am useless to you on that -- other than to say you might want to post in the communications section and see if any Chatter users can answer your questions on getting it going again!

Cheers, Perry.