Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516 LastLast
    At this point they will not release the update until a few weeks after Christmas. Christmas sales generate a very large spike in tech support phone calls just after Christmas. But a software maintinence release on an existing product with a large install base also generates a large spike in tech support calls. So they'll hold off on a software update for a few weeks until the Christmas call traffic dies down, then push out a mantinence release.
    This is just my experience working for a CE companies in a similar situation. It's a no brainer once you've made it through one Christmas you'll never push out a software update at Christmas for this reason. If for no other reason, this will be why they'll hold off at this point.
    My money is on Jan 17th. Jan 10th if we're lucky.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Bummer. Maybe they can just send me the update. I promise not to call. Honest.
    Should we add to that....
    when those people call they will say we will release an update in a week or 2...

stalling off those after christmas calls, people will forget, people will learn how to use it themselves, others willl wait then call....

so then they will seem customer friendly..everyone with a new treo for christmas will say......"look how fast they released a update"...
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Very good point.

At this point they will not release the update until a few weeks after Christmas. Christmas sales generate a very large spike in tech support phone calls just after Christmas. But a software maintinence release on an existing product with a large install base also generates a large spike in tech support calls. So they'll hold off on a software update for a few weeks until the Christmas call traffic dies down, then push out a mantinence release.
    This is just my experience working for a CE companies in a similar situation. It's a no brainer once you've made it through one Christmas you'll never push out a software update at Christmas for this reason. If for no other reason, this will be why they'll hold off at this point.
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    I didn't resist and finnaly I decided to try the un-official fw 1.71+ SW 1.20. And decided to test also a custom rom. Everything worked flawlessy, and my unlocked cingular treo is much better (faster, and more stable).
    Guess this might finally trigger the official update :-)
  6. lua
    no. but palm will silently thank you for being a guinea pig.

i wouldn't touch that with a ten foot antenna. geez.
    IIIx to Treo650. Now that's Quantum Leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by darklord
    It should be a month according to P1 (but you never know....)
    Any update on the update? (I could probably answer that myself, but had to ask)

I'm getting really sick and tired of waiting for my volume to get fixed (I shouldn't have to buy VC to do that).

I also don't quite get why the unlocked version would come out AFTER the Cingular. There is no carrier specific testing for the unlocked. Anyway, just throwing a net out there to see if any insiders have any actual info on an expected release date.

Thanks.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbenjami
    I also don't quite get why the unlocked version would come out AFTER the Cingular. There is no carrier specific testing for the unlocked.
    Yes, but Cingular is probably the most used GSM network for the Treo in Palm's biggest market, the US. It is most likely much easier to test an update on a known user base than to hope for feedback on the unlocked version that could be used with any carrier.
    Palm Treo 680
    Unlocked GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by snoslicer8
    Yes, but Cingular is probably the most used GSM network for the Treo in Palm's biggest market, the US. It is most likely much easier to test an update on a known user base than to hope for feedback on the unlocked version that could be used with any carrier.

So your theory is that Palm is using Cingular as a guinea pig for the update and when released for unlocked users, it will be even better. Interesting. I sure hope you are right and it isn't just a case of someone neglecting to release something that is just sitting on a shelf collecting dust.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    When Cingular says our customer are complaining, get the update out, Palm jumps. When small individual retailers say the same thing Palm doesn't have near the incentive.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbenjami
    So your theory is that Palm is using Cingular as a guinea pig for the update and when released for unlocked users, it will be even better. Interesting. I sure hope you are right and it isn't just a case of someone neglecting to release something that is just sitting on a shelf collecting dust.
    No, I am not saying Palm is using Cingular as a guinea pig at all. I am saying Palm feels they have more of a responsibility to release this update for Cingular first, as Cingular holds the majority of their 650 business. There is a bigger user base on Cingular than there is on any other GSM carrier, therefor it should be updated first.
    Palm Treo 680
    Unlocked GSM
    Does anyone know if the expected unlocked GSM FW/SW upgrades are expected to fix the 1.13ROW volume problems; namely:
    1) Weak earpiece/speakerphone volume, and
    2) Cannot silence an incoming call with the side volume button?
    Thanks!
    Everyone hold on i am looking for my crystal ball!!!!

I dont mean to be rude but this thread has gone way too long.... everyone's waiting patiently for over month since this thread was started !! dont we get tired...

flame me if you will but i find it kind of funny every one keeps coming asking
    when will it come?
    oh some one tell me when will it be available?
    when it is available will it wash my dishes too...
    can some one guess

dont get me wrong but i am also waiting for the new software but will it help if we keep looking for false hopes; hoping someone has a better crystal ball than your own.

Please help me understand
    Quote Originally Posted by rcgroup
    I dont mean to be rude but this thread has gone way too long.... everyone's waiting patiently for over month since this thread was started !! dont we get tired...
    Actually, we've been waiting IMpatiently. Myself included.

However, I don't know why anyone had any assumption in the first place that this release would come out any sooner than now. I still think it won't be until January. If something isn't released by Dec 15th, it's going to wait a month until after the holidays (more like Jan 15th is.) Between people taking vacations and the company busy dealing with christmas sales, it's a tough time to push a consumer release. They don't want to add to the tech support calls with release when it's probabally already high from Christmas sales.
    Don't quote me on Jan 16th and say "where is it?" It's just a rough guess.

We know from history that it always takes a lot longer than the original leakers get us fired up about.
    I'm not flaming, just playing devil's advocate or in this case palm advocate
    I agree, however. Give me the darn release already!
    Last edited by taylorh; 12/29/2005 at 01:03 AM.
  15. lua
    Don't quote me on Jan 16th and say "where is it?" It's just a rough guess.
    yes. i feel it in the force, too. plus it will have been exactly 6 months since palm release the last updater.
    IIIx to Treo650. Now that's Quantum Leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by calico
    And the leaked 1.20 APR ROM was from 11.11.2005
    So what are they waiting for ?

I'm getting tired of losing calls and SMS while Treo shows reception
    but nothing comes in.
    I sent an email to Palm Europe about my problems and asked if there is a firmware update.

They asked me to send pictures of my SIM-Tray. Then they told me my SIM-tray will be replaced because it is an old version.
    My Treo is an unlocked AT&T/Cingular running ROW-firmware.

Don't know if this will solve my problems but there was no word about any coming firmware release.

Maybe the next available ROW-release will be at a higher revision level than the current leaked APR-firmware ?
    Quote Originally Posted by calico
    They asked me to send pictures of my SIM-Tray. Then they told me my SIM-tray will be replaced because it is an old version.
    I just 5min ago received an unexpected package from Palm with "REPLACEMENT PART ENCLOSED" stamped onto the outside. I opened it to find a new version of the SIM tray. It has a small "rib" to give more pressure to the contacts. I had no idea this was an issue, let alone an issue that Palm was addressing.
    ooooh, look at the shiny Copper Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtalian
    I just 5min ago received an unexpected package from Palm with "REPLACEMENT PART ENCLOSED" stamped onto the outside. I opened it to find a new version of the SIM tray. It has a small "rib" to give more pressure to the contacts. I had no idea this was an issue, let alone an issue that Palm was addressing.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...highlight=tray
    Quote Originally Posted by rcgroup
    Everyone hold on i am looking for my crystal ball!!!!

flame me if you will but i find it kind of funny every one keeps coming asking
    when will it come?
    oh some one tell me when will it be available?
    when it is available will it wash my dishes too...
    can some one guess
    Please help me understand
    Helps pass the time....
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    ooooh, look at the shiny Copper Treo 680