Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516 LastLast
    While it may not be popular to think of this... I'd speculate that majority of their resources are going to be focused on the 700W, since it's so close to launch. When I consider the possibilities when testing was already underway on one product and then suddenly there's no new information coming out, that seems the most likely case... that resources and priorities suddenly shifted.
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw
    While it may not be popular to think of this... I'd speculate that majority of their resources are going to be focused on the 700W, since it's so close to launch.
    You may be right. Lucky for us that Linux on the 650 is progressing nicely.
  3. CLB
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw
    *snip* majority of their resources *snip*
    That would be 173 program managers and one software engineer?

No, the code already exists or Cingular would not have modified and distrubuted it. Perhaps the largest customer would like to demonstrate the "best" customer support.
    C'mon, no more whining.

This device is the perfect mix of one that is usefull and customizable.

How many of us have not changed anything on it?

I have changed almost everything including messing with different software and hardware until I found one that is working great for me.

I have my own list of 3rd party software and apps that I have added to enhance my personal device.

It is about choice, I guess when I hear someone say "this will be my last treo" that is a choice. At that point they should get a little phone that has the basic functions, does not much special, is cumbersome to navigate, etc. and most important of all to them, they can use it.

I have had problems with mine and some of the combinations of stuff that I put in it. I had fun finding out what it was and fixing it.

Here is the part that will probably stir it up:

Maybe it is too much of a device for them, they cannot figure it out and should go back to a bag phone.
    Unlocked -1.51---117-CNG
    Handspring Deluxe w/phone->Treo 180->Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by mendo
    C'mon, no more whining.

This device is the perfect mix of one that is usefull and customizable.

How many of us have not changed anything on it?

I have changed almost everything including messing with different software and hardware until I found one that is working great for me.

I have my own list of 3rd party software and apps that I have added to enhance my personal device.

It is about choice, I guess when I hear someone say "this will be my last treo" that is a choice. At that point they should get a little phone that has the basic functions, does not much special, is cumbersome to navigate, etc. and most important of all to them, they can use it.

I have had problems with mine and some of the combinations of stuff that I put in it. I had fun finding out what it was and fixing it.

Here is the part that will probably stir it up:

Maybe it is too much of a device for them, they cannot figure it out and should go back to a bag phone.
    I agree, My Treo is almost perfect (is only my opinion ), if you have problems with it may be is cause for some software, not for hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by armevi
    I agree, My Treo is almost perfect (is only my opinion ), if you have problems with it may be is cause for some software, not for hardware.
    Or better (it is only my opinion) for THE SOFTWARE and FIRMWARE (i.e. volume, freeze issue, BT stability...). That's why we all GSM user are waiting for an official and reliable update.
    Ciao.
    Vittore
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HS Treo 180 -> HS Treo 270 -> Palm Treo 650 GSM (1.71-1.20ENA Custom) + Treo BT Headset + TomTom 5.201 & Holux GPS 236 BT Slim
    My biggest problem is memory management now that I have goodlink installed. I am always running out of dbcache. The SW update is supposed to fix this problem.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Guess we can forget about our gsm OFFICIAL firmware update year this year....
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder
    My biggest problem is memory management now that I have goodlink installed. I am always running out of dbcache. The SW update is supposed to fix this problem.
    Stupid me!!! I forgot that every time that I run Backup Manager I need to reset my Treo to use TomTom or Palm PDF.
    By the way 1.17 CNG has been reported as a huge improvment from this point of view........let's keep waiting and hoping!!!
    Ciao.
    Vittore
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HS Treo 180 -> HS Treo 270 -> Palm Treo 650 GSM (1.71-1.20ENA Custom) + Treo BT Headset + TomTom 5.201 & Holux GPS 236 BT Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by temoore
    Odd, the Palm One site has had the 1.17 update since Novemeber 21st.
    1.17 for cingular, GSM is still 1.13
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Holux GPSlim236 GPS BT receiver & Tom Tom v5.201
    NO WHAT I WANT IS WHAT I PAY FOR NOT SOMETHING THAT RESET IT SELF EVERYTIME I TURN AROUND
    Settle down, Beavis. Two possibilities. You have bad software installed. This is the most likely case. Or you have bad hardware.

Look in the Phone application for the ERR (377) log to see what's crashing, make sure you're running the latest applications and that they are 650 compatible. Yes, you gotta carefully handle applications on the Palm, but it has no memory protection, so you just work with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by appliancemedic
    NO WHAT I WANT IS WHAT I PAY FOR NOT SOMETHING THAT RESET IT SELF EVERYTIME I TURN AROUND
    I understand your frustration but there is no need to scream. Many Treos, mine included, are reset free and have been for ages. Most resets are caused by software conflicts. I have had resets when trying new software but once I found which ones play nicely together my Treo has been very stable. Palm does not control the software authors. Some authors seem to write software that is prone to conflicts. Some of the software performs complex enough tasks that even a very good programmer will have trouble avoiding all possible conflicts.

Calm down, I tend to make things worse when I try to fix things while peed off, and after a reset check ##377 and dial or #*377 and dial depending on whether you are CDMA or GSM to see what caused the reset. This may tell you which app is the problem or if it shows one of the included apps then another app is likely conflicting with that app and you will have to try finding that problem app. You can back up your data, do a hard reset and re-install your apps one at a time and let them run for awhile to see which one causes the problems or you can try deleting or disabling apps one at a time. If you use the latter method you should do a soft reset after each one.

That said, with the huge number of Treos out there I am sure there a few with a hardware problem or software problem right from the factory. This should be very rare though and lets hope yours is not one of them.

Good luck with sorting your Treo out. It is a great phone once you have it stable.
    Settle down, Beavis. Two possibilities. You have bad software installed. This is the most likely case. Or you have bad hardware.
    Two possibilities. You have bad hardware. This is the most likely case.

Or you have bad software installed.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Solutor

Yeah, flip a coin. Heads it's software, tails it's hardware
    Quote Originally Posted by The Solutor

Eh? It's way more likely it's a bad software combination than it is bad hardware, that's without question. There's a lot of crap software out there, especially if it's older software that wasn't written with NVFS in mind.
    Where is darklord? We need to get this thread back on topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by appliancemedic
    After just moving back to the palm OS after being on M$'s Pocket PC for the last four or five years I can only say that if you think that the Treo is buggy try using a Pocket PC device. For the folks who are planning to get the Treo 700w I predict frequent resets (at a minimum of 1-2 a day). As for the Treo 650, I haven't had a more stable device since my Handspring Visor. I admit I've only had the Treo for 16 days but I have only had to reset the device thrice and only then because of applications that I installed required a reset.

Casiopedia=>Handspring Visor Delux + Addon Phone=>iPaq 3870 + GSM/GPRS=>Qtek 1010=>i-mate Phone Edition=>i-mate PDA2K=>i-mate SP3i=>Treo 650
  19. lua
    i have a feeling that if the firmware is not released by end of 2005, palm will be aiming for the release to coincide with treo 700w launch.

sort of a "double whammy" from marketing point of view. curse them .
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lua
    i have a feeling that if the firmware is not released by end of 2005, palm will be aiming for the release to coincide with treo 700w launch.

sort of a "double whammy" from marketing point of view. curse them .
    I doubt it. That would actually be counter-productive from a marketing standpoint because if it had any impact whatsoever, it would be to split the focus rather than create maximum focus and impact on the launch of the new device.

A "maintenance" T650 PalmOS device update will have little impact on a WM5 device launch... IMHO...

I believe the WM5 Treo is meant to give the Windows-biased corporate customer a "Palm" option, plus woo existing individual WM users.... i.e new markets for Palm...

If we get an update around the same time as the 700w, then I think that would be conincidence...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C