1.    #1  
    I apoligize if this question is answered in an earlier thread. I am considering buying a used 650 that works fine with the excption of the touch screen. Its case and screen show no damage and look in perfect condition. In most of the earlier threads, the screen problem was fixed with recalibration. How often is a touch screen problem caused by a defect? You assistance will be greatly appreciated.
    If the problem goes away with re-digitization, I guess I would risk it depending on the price and a return understanding with the seller. If the problem does not go away with re-digitization, then consider it a permanent situation and price/buy accordingly.

Sometimes a screen protector edge or piece of dirt or paper can get between the screen and the underside of the covering frame and create a "touch" on the screen which makes the screen feel it is being "touched" and therefore will not respond to a new touch -- until you remove the "first" touch. Remove the screen protector. If that does not solve the problem, take a stiff piece of paper and run it under the frame all the way around the screen to dislodge any debris that might be there. (Do not go more then an 1/8th of an inch in under the screen.)

The seller may have tried these cures and is just trying to get rid of it.

Buyer beware.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 10/21/2005 at 06:55 AM.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks Perry. How often have you heard of a touch screen problem being a defect of a permanent problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by kirk0827
    Thanks Perry. How often have you heard of a touch screen problem being a defect of a permanent problem?
    Can't answer that, not enough data to know what the probabilities are.

Obviously, you have not held this Treo in your hand. If the seller is stating that the touch screen does not work -- I would be concerned, because the remedies I have stated are somewhat common knowledge, at least on TreoCentral. Re-digitization is a simple selection under preferences. If the Treo requires this everyday -- I would say -- stay away.

And if you cannot verify that the problem is the "touch" of something stuck between the frame and screen -- then I would stay away, as well. If it is the "touch" problem, it's a one time fix and you are on your way.

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden

Sometimes a screen protector edge or piece of dirt or paper can get between the screen and the underside of the covering frame and create a "touch" on the screen which makes the screen feel it is being "touched" and therefore will not respond to a new touch -- until you remove the "first" touch. Remove the screen protector. If that does not solve the problem, take a stiff piece of paper and run it under the frame all the way around the screen to dislodge any debris that might be there. (Do not go more then an 1/8th of an inch in under the screen.)
    Cheers, Perry.
    My touchscreen went kaput yesterday and recovered only after some very aggressive work with a cranny-cleaner - in my case a folded Post-it note. Whatever was lodged in the crawl-space was actually very difficult to weasel out and there was a lot of it. In fact I started to wonder if I was actually breaking up and removing some lining that was meant to be there: because it all looked the same and seemed a bit rubbery. I was wondering if this might be what lies beyond the "1/8th of an inch in under the screen" referred to by Perry. Have I gone too far? The device works perfectly now, but might it be more vulnerable to dirt etc if I have damaged some liner?

My original working hypothesis was that the black stuff was flaked-off bits of the rubbery padding that lines the inside of the Innopocket hard case I've been using for over a year now.

What was also interesting was that the touchscreen problem actually got worse before it got better: I dont know if there is even more "dirt" under there, but soon as the Treo started working again, I decided to leave well enough alone, and suspended operations.

geoff
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    If the problem goes away with re-digitization, I guess I would risk it depending on the price and a return understanding with the seller. If the problem does not go away with re-digitization, then consider it a permanent situation and price/buy accordingly.

The seller may have tried these cures and is just trying to get rid of it.

Buyer beware.

Cheers, Perry.
    Thats the exact same problem i had with my 650 it would throw the whole touchscreen out.
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR