Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok I've had this phone for quite some while, and have lurked on this forum for quite a bit. I've come to the conclusion that the Palm OS is a huge steaming pile of crap. Even before I had the 3rd party Volume Care app this phone sucked. Ever since day one this phone has been locking up on call waiting, lagged responses on touch screen responses, blinks on and off for no apparent reason and post marks text messages with the wrong time. I'm currently on Cingular and have done the firmware upgrade and that seemed to worsen it. I know many people on here have had multiple problems but seem to have accepted it as Treo's "characteristics". Completely unacceptable.

This phone has aggravated me more then any other phone...I should have kept the Siemens SX66. O btw....Volume Care sucks as well. In addition to the other problems, Volume Care will lock up on it's own causing the whole phone to crash when I'm trying to raise the volume during a call....you'll see the Volume Care bar lock up and stay there until you pull the battery or do a soft reset. To those that are having better luck out there....I envy you. I can't wait till I find a new smart phone.

Just had to vent guys....I'm sure many of you feel this way as well.
    Im sorry your having trouble. It is horrible of you to say that volume care sux. There is something wrong with your phone. Whether it is a corrupt file, defective unit or 3rd party software conflict it is very wrong to slam Volume Care. Jeff is a awesome developer and volume care works perfectly. I imagine any application may perform poorly on your phone. I understand your angry but you should edit your post.
    Do you have all of these problems after a hard reset (not including the VC problem, of course)? If so, your unit is defective. Have Cingular replace it.

As for VC, contact the developer, he is very responsive to issues.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    Do you have all of these problems after a hard reset (not including the VC problem, of course)? If so, your unit is defective. Have Cingular replace it.

As for VC, contact the developer, he is very responsive to issues.
    After a hard reset the slow response button still occurs, the timedate stamp is wrong (this actually occured AFTER I installed Volume Care.) Didn't mean to bash VC as hard as I did...but plain and simple the program has crashing issues. I don't doubt that it works...because it works as it says...it just hangs and crashes my phone. I'm going to try and send it in then if I get a replacement phone...I'm selling it. Time to try something new.
    I totally understand nothing is more frustrating than spending 500 bucks and countless hours trying to get something to act as it should.
    get a nokia and a datebook
    Quote Originally Posted by xxbignipperxx
    After a hard reset the slow response button still occurs,
    You mean BEFORE reinstalling ANYTHING, right? If so, it is defective.

the timedate stamp is wrong (this actually occured AFTER I installed Volume Care.)
    You mean your clock is wrong after a hard reset? Did you set it? Do you have it set to get that automatically from Cingular?

Are you resynching your phone after a hard reset, thereby reinstalling VC, etc? If so....DON'T.

Your response does not make it clear whether you have these issues after a hard reset because you go on to talk about having VC installed. So....I will say it again. Hard reset your device. DO NOT HOTSYNCH ANYTHING BACK ONTO THE DEVICE. If you problems still exist, your device is defective and should be returned.
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    Great advice.
    - Albert Einstein
  9.    #9  
    You mean BEFORE reinstalling ANYTHING, right? If so, it is defective.

You mean your clock is wrong after a hard reset? Did you set it? Do you have it set to get that automatically from Cingular?

Are you resynching your phone after a hard reset, thereby reinstalling VC, etc? If so....DON'T.

Your response does not make it clear whether you have these issues after a hard reset because you go on to talk about having VC installed. So....I will say it again. Hard reset your device. DO NOT HOTSYNCH ANYTHING BACK ONTO THE DEVICE. If you problems still exist, your device is defective and should be returned.
    With VC diabled I don't get the lockups caused by VC...but the slow response is still there. Had it before the Cingular update and still have it now. It's especially bad when keying in to my voicemail. The timedate issue is weird...the time is correct...my outgoing text times are correct, but my incoming do not match. So say it is 1pm I send a text out....it marks it 1pm...then 5 minutes later I get a text back...it should be marked 1:05pm...but it's not...it'll say like 11am or something random.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for the advice buddy.....sorry I have expectation for a $500 phone. I guess it's too much to ask.
    Thanks for the advice buddy.....sorry I have expectation for a $500 phone. I guess it's too much to ask.
    no problem buddy
    Excellent advice! That's close to what I've done.

I sold my 650 and bought a Nokia 6230 and a Palm T|X. In the week that i've had the 6230, it hasn't locked up, reset, or turned itself on and off once. It's just another cheap phone with a crappy camera. It fits in my pocket and rings when it's supposed to. BT sync with Outlook on my laptop worked the first time.

I considered going with an iPaq, but with all the $$$ I spent on Palm software I thought I'd give the TX a spin. So far, so good. Wi-Fi's everywhere now so I can get my email or use Blazer whenever I need to. If it isn't, the BT DUN with the Nokia also worked fine first time. The 6230 stays in my pocket and the TX in my laptop bag. Plus, the TX has a huge screen for TCPMP.

I guess my main frustration with the 650 (other than three handsets in six months) was always needing to find a work-around for it's problems. Low volume, buy VolumeCare (Excellent program). Versamail, buy Chatter. Sync issues, buy KeySuite. No Wi-Fi, too bad. So not only do we have a sub-standard piece of hardware for $500, we have to spend $100+ more on third-party software to make it usable.

The Treo is an excellent concept, but until Palm can address it's many problems, that's all it will ever be.

Sorry for the rant.
    Last edited by treozoic; 10/20/2005 at 08:29 PM.
    My Treo 650 locks up about as much as my windows based Dell...which is once and a while. That's because the 650 isn't really a phone. It's a micro-sized computer on the edge of technology that happens to have phone capabilities. Some of the rants are justified...but it's also an issue of expectations. And yes there are some defective units out there. But I also know that my Dell laptop locks up too. In fact, twice just today, right smack dab in the middle of having an unsaved file open. Guess I'd better dump the $2000 laptop and get a pad of paper, huh?
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treozoic

I sold my 650 and bought a Nokia 6230 and a Palm T|X. In the week that i've had the 6230, it hasn't locked up, reset, or turned itself on and off once. It's just another cheap phone with a crappy camera. It fits in my pocket and rings when it's supposed to. BT sync with Outlook on my laptop worked the first time.

I considered going with an iPaq, but with all the $$$ I spent on Palm software I thought I'd give the TX a spin. So far, so good. Wi-Fi's everywhere now so I can get my email or use Blazer whenever I need to. If it isn't, the BT DUN with the Nokia also worked fine first time. The 6230 stays in my pocket and the TX in my laptop bag. Plus, the TX has a huge screen for TCPMP.

I guess my main frustration with the 650 (other than three handsets in six months) was always needing to find a work-around for it's problems. Low volume, buy VolumeCare (Excellent program). Versamail, buy Chatter. Sync issues, buy KeySuite. No Wi-Fi, too bad. So not only do we have a sub-standard piece of hardware for $500, we have to spend $100+ more on third-party software to make it usable.

The Treo is an excellent concept, but until Palm can address it's many problems, that's all it will ever be.

Sorry for the rant.

You are right on... when i first saw this phone, i fell in love with it. THen i bought it. From the get go i had problems with sound.. i am the infamous "faisal" i put shadowmite in business and at the same time got alot of people at palm and else where in trouble.. FOR WHAT.

A phone that:

Constantly resets
    Needs alot of other software to make it really work well
    Sound quality still sucks
    NO WIFI
    Freezes all the time
    NO STABILITY WHATSOEVER

Well i already bought this thing, i am not going to buy something else. i may go back to my T3 ande get a wifi sd for 100 bucks...

Its better than most other Smartphones... but it is not perfect
    With VC diabled I don't get the lockups caused by VC...but the slow response is still there. Had it before the Cingular update and still have it now. It's especially bad when keying in to my voicemail. The timedate issue is weird...the time is correct...my outgoing text times are correct, but my incoming do not match. So say it is 1pm I send a text out....it marks it 1pm...then 5 minutes later I get a text back...it should be marked 1:05pm...but it's not...it'll say like 11am or something random.
    get the latest version of VC. Jeff fixed the bug that affected the graph on the screen. MY Treo does not reset.
    Seems like problems can be hit and miss for the Treo...My wife or I have never had a prob that VC can't fix. We don't use as many of the features of the Treo like people on this forum though.
    Who am I, sir? A Utah man am I A Utah man, sir, and will be till I die!
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by treozoic

Sorry for the rant.
    I've never thought something so simple can be so frustrating. Just one more of the complications that technology give you when it fails. I completely agree...great concept...poor execution.
    Did you even READ my response to you? I tried to help you but clearly you simply want to blame VC and Palm. Disabling installed software is NOT the same thing as doing a hard reset and determining if you problems exist "out of the box".

Follow Dutch's advice. I'm done trying to help you.
    - Albert Einstein
    Did you even READ my response to you? I tried to help you but clearly you simply want to blame VC and Palm. Disabling installed software is NOT the same thing as doing a hard reset and determining if you problems exist "out of the box".

Follow Dutch's advice. I'm done trying to help you.
    You forgot to call him "Buddy"
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    You forgot to call him "Buddy"
    Ahh, nice catch.

I'm done trying to help you, Buddy .
    - Albert Einstein
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast