Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    CHATTER, bar NONE
    Another vote for Chatter.
    Chatter conflicts with Handmark Express. I use Snappermail.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Chatter is amazing, and the developer support is second to none. In fact, one issue I found with it and how my email server works, within I think 2 days he had a beta that implemented the change. I also considered Blackberry the "goto" gizmo for email, but after seeing Chatter, I pity those on the "crackberry". Note I use an IMAP server, I haven't tried Pop (considering using it with Gmail tho)
    Chatter conflicts with Handmark Express. I use Snappermail.
    I can confirm this conflict, however the cause is within Express. I have several other apps that need access to the Internet (Verichat, 4Cast, Agendus, Xiino/Blazer). The only app that has trouble with net access is Express. Hopefully they'll fix it (I've reported it to them).
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    another "me too" for chatter. same reasons as everyone else, its a killer app, does everything i need it to and the support is great. You also get to enjoy almost daily releases of beta versions
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    That's not really true, and Marc will readily state that with CDMA phones, there is a more noticable battery hit.

With 1 IMAP account, I see about 2% or so per hour with light usage.
    I see about 3% an hour with two online accounts that pull email in the background.
    I dont consider that battery drain.
    You cant get something for nothing.

Would you consider running Ptunes all day and not expect to take a hit in battery? Would that be considered battery drain or just normal usage?

I feel Chatter balances the benefits with how much juice it uses to get them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Longstrider
    I feel Chatter balances the benefits with how much juice it uses to get them.
    And this is just another benefit of the program. Marc adjusts the program depending on if you have GSM or CDMA. Because CDMA users (in general) have data usage that tends to drain the battery more, he put in the efficient sync to even it out.

If you want up to the second updates (as far as having the email show that you have read it/forwarded it/deleted it) then leave efficient sync off. If you don't care too much about that, then turn it on. If the battery drain still bothers you, you can qsync every XX minutes and keep your data usage to a minimum. Chatter is about choices and Marc gets most of his input from his devoted following.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by djraw
    OMG! That app is 40 bucks! that would be the most expensive software I've ever purchased for my Treos. I'm gonna try the trial. You guys think it's worth it?

Yeah, it's progressively gotten more expensive with every new release. However, many of us bought it when it was almost half the price!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Yeah, it's progressively gotten more expensive with every new release. However, many of us bought it when it was almost half the price!
    ...and upgrades are always free - forever.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    I haven't had time to set it all the way up with all my accounts yet, but the interface is kinda drab and boring don't ya' think? I get a lot of SMS messages and Chatter took over the mail button I use to launch my messages. I know I can probably re-assign it. Is there any skins or anything avalible for it to make it look more interesting? Oh, I also have Express installed and I haven't had any issues since yesterday when I installed the Chatter trial version.
    IT'S NOT A DAMN BLACKBERRY!....
    I have an unlocked GSM (not CDMA) and battery drain with the mighty Chatter was noticeable, and directly impacted the amount of functional time I had on the road without having to constantly car-charge or AC-charge my Treo. I'd like to go back to Chatter for business purposes, but would probably have to drop MP3/streaming or GPS/bluetooth usage.

With all due respect, it's an awesome app., but the battery drain issue seems to still be glossed over here and on the Chatter developer forum. Sorry.

Greg

unlocked/unbranded GSM / T-Mobile /
    1-POP3 account routed through IMAP account.
    I have a CDMA (Sprint) phone, and don't really have battery problems with Chatter. 3 IMAP boxes always connected, a fouth one QuickSyncing a few times a day. Drain isn't bad.

Talking on the phone drains it far more than Chatter ever will.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Yet another vote for Chatter. It's an amazing app (coming from a loyal Snapper user). I've never seen an app be updated so frequently. Marc (the developer) updates Chatter literally every day. Incredible.
    Quote Originally Posted by djraw
    I haven't had time to set it all the way up with all my accounts yet, but the interface is kinda drab and boring don't ya' think? I get a lot of SMS messages and Chatter took over the mail button I use to launch my messages. I know I can probably re-assign it. Is there any skins or anything avalible for it to make it look more interesting? Oh, I also have Express installed and I haven't had any issues since yesterday when I installed the Chatter trial version.
    to get your sms message button back: prefs>buttons

I'm like you, I dont care for chatter's interface, so I mainly use it for it's push capabilities, & pop-up notifications... I still prefer the look of versamail, so I still use it for most of my replying, and composing. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that versamail runs stable on my device.
    Quote Originally Posted by siriusbliss
    With all due respect, it's an awesome app., but the battery drain issue seems to still be glossed over here and on the Chatter developer forum. Sorry.
    Nothing to be sorry about. When you say you have significant battery drain...can you quantify it? How much per hour? Maybe there is something causing it?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    ...and upgrades are always free - forever.
    Yeah until Marc decides to trash it like he did with his IM program. I bought it used it had problems with it and all of a sudden 6 months later support gone, product gone, emails ignored about the product etc... I'd never buy another product from this developer i wasted 20 bucks with him already! Kudos to him for ripping me off.
    Not sure what happened, but that doesn't sound like Marc.

Anyway, another happy Chatter user, and I only QSync as needed and don't use Push at all. Still a great program and much better than snapper.
    I haven't quantified the battery usage. It just a noticeable jump in battery consumption with Chatter installed. Even with 'reduced' settings for retrieval, etc.

I know what's causing it - it's Chatter causing the extra consumption!

I hate to be picky about this issue, but I'm a relatively heavy 'road user' and need to stretch out the amount of time I'm using the unit on the road without having to constantly plug it in to recharge or swap batteries.

I will install the latest version (demo) and check the battery consumption vs. what I'm used to.

Thanks,

Greg

unlocked/unbranded GSM / T-Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12