1.    #1  
    hello.... i am very close to buying a treo650 and was wondering what GPS software to use... i have a BT GPS reciver right now... and looking for a good cheap/free software

Thanks Zach
    Deleted unhelpful posts. Please lets not scare away the newbies!

Anyway, I personally would recommend TomTom5 software. Another option is mapopolis. Do a search on the forums for TomTom for more info.

Cheers
    Last edited by Gaurav; 10/22/2005 at 07:28 PM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    TomTom by far.
    Mapopopolis is great also.
    Quote Originally Posted by siriusbliss
    Mapopopolis is great also.
    NOT recommended by myself! Constantly resets on the 650. Do a search and talk to people who have actually hooked up a GPS to this software. As a standalone map its very good but I know of at least 6 menbers who experience constant resets while using the GPS navigation.
    Click for Free iPod Nano or better. - really works!
    I recommend mapopolis it works great on my 650 and 600
    To me the 3D view in TomTom makes it really stand out. That is what makes the use of a smaller screen much, much easier. In fact, with the 3D view the size is plenty big.
    I've got Mapopolis and TomTom on my T650....TomTom wins HANDS DOWN no questions asked.

TS
    Quote Originally Posted by turbosteve
    I've got Mapopolis and TomTom on my T650....TomTom wins HANDS DOWN no questions asked.

TS
    Can you expound on the differences, what makes it better, etc?

I'm a a Mapopolis user, and satisfied for the most part. But I'd like to try Mapopolis out, but they don't offer any sort of demo or trial.
    I recently purchased TomTom based on the great reviews it seems to get from Treo users. Unfortunately, I have not been able to get it to run on mine. I have it installed, I get my map registered, get to the page where it asks if I want to set my home address and then it causes a soft reset every time. I am so frustrated as I really want this program to work.
    No Mapopopolis resets here.
    TomTom just looks a little 'toyish' to my eyes when I'm on the road.
    Just my opinion. (and yes I checked out TomTom)

Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    Can you expound on the differences, what makes it better, etc?

I'm a a Mapopolis user, and satisfied for the most part. But I'd like to try Mapopolis out, but they don't offer any sort of demo or trial.
    I'm actually working on a quick comparison thread right now and should have it posted in this forum later today. I just took a 1000 mile 3 state trip using Mapopolis and TomTom for both PPC and Palm.

TS
    Thanks. One of the big disappointments I have with Mapopolis is the rather large lag in features of the Palm version compared to the PPC one - routing especially.