Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    I was wondering if I could just pull up a surrounding area of a given address using the Tom Tom maps without needing GPS to be active...

If this is possible, how is it done?

Thanks in advance.
    start up TomTom. touch the screen, then go to page 2 of the Main Menu. hit Browse Map. hit the magnifying glass icon at the bottom (Find...) -- on the Find screen you'll see an Address icon.

once you enter an address you can move the area covered by the map view by dragging the center of the screen, and you can use the slider on the right to adjust the map scale.
    Besides address, there are several other icons to help define a general map location. I use POI in city quite a bit as it lets find a store or resturant in a given city. Zip codes or a town center can also be used. Also while in this mode, you can use the cursor button to set favorites or navigation locations that are in the area. I find I use the browse map screen more than actual navigation.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Thanks for the replies, found it! Only one problem, I just updated to 5.12.Saw in another thread, the update has a constant bluetooth nag if blue tooth is off and you try and browse the maps. Hopefully there will be a fix for this.
    I've never had the problem (I have 5.12). Maybe it's because I have the Tomtom GPS receiver. I remember some old posts about that but don't recall the details or whether it was resolved. Might try searching again for the specific posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by WTF
    Thanks for the replies, found it! Only one problem, I just updated to 5.12.Saw in another thread, the update has a constant bluetooth nag if blue tooth is off and you try and browse the maps. Hopefully there will be a fix for this.
    I used to have this problem but it went away. I'm not sure why! I have a Navman BT GPS. I think it went away after I used TomTom with my GPS one time and used the GPS/Configure to select the type of GPS I have.

Now it tells me there is no GPS present on the map display, but doesn't nag me any more.

Cheers,
    ChickenHawk
    Treo 755p / Sprint
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Well, I had originally not tried using the maps without gps since installing 5.12, but just read about the problems.

I tried it out and I do have the issue, constant nag about bluetooth. Hope it is improved upon with next update.