1.    #1  
    For those of you who have received your Plantronics L-510 and have a Treo 650, can you please provide some feedback? I've heard mixed reviews. Some complained that it took too long to connect. Others have complained that you get static unless the headset and Treo are in pretty close (line of sight) proximity to one another. Can anyone verify or refute these claims?
    I have the Plantronics Voyager 510 (L-510) and am very happy with it. It has replaced my Treo BT and Scala 500 headsets for everyday use. Its connects quickly for both incoming and outgoing calls. The clarity for both incoming and outgoing sound are great and static is nearly non-existant. Also, I can get about 15ft away from my Treo and have no sound degredation, of course the caveat with this is that the headset and Treo need to be in line of sight of each other.

The only shortcomings that I have come accross are the control buttons are a bit small for my fat fingers (I HATE the power button) and the a/c charger power tip seems a bit cheap to me. Other then that, I am quite happy with the headset.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
    Quote Originally Posted by denik
    For those of you who have received your Plantronics L-510 and have a Treo 650, can you please provide some feedback? I've heard mixed reviews. Some complained that it took too long to connect. Others have complained that you get static unless the headset and Treo are in pretty close (line of sight) proximity to one another. Can anyone verify or refute these claims?
    I just ordered one today. Will give feedback once I get it and test it out. It can't be any worse than the SE HBH-300.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    I just got mine last night and I agree the buttons are tiny. The biggest problem for me is the fit. It's really hard to put on. I don't plan on wearing it all the time. I want to just grab it and stick it on when I get a call. Not so good for that.
  5.    #5  
    I got a little too impatient to wait for feedback, so I ordered one for myself from buy.com and received it earlier today. So here's my feedback.

Generally, I like the headset. It's a lot better than my scala 500, which was super staticy and unusable w/ my Treo 650. I am able to use this headset w/ the phone in my pocket, and I'm not really hearing any static.

PRO
    1) Headset goes in the ear, so it can be super loud
    2) Seems very comfortable from the few minutes I've had it on. I could probably wear it for an extended period.
    3) Pretty clear, not really noticing too much static.
    4) Pairs to both my phone and laptop (allows pairing w/ up to 2 devices)

CON
    1) Takes about 4-5 seconds into the call before the bluetooth connects, for outgoing calls.
    2) Buttons are kind'a hard to press
    Do any of you have any static problems with your 510? After reading the posts here I ordered a 510 to replace my Scala 500. It sounded awesome in my ear, but of the four calls I placed with it, every one complained of a very regular drop out. Not static but a momentary drop. Do you think its just a bum unit? It was so comfortable and clear that I want to continue to use it if possible.

It was being used with a full charge. In my car. Line of sight at a range of less than 3 feet to my Treo which was in its car cradle (DC powered). When I immediately switched back to the Scala, all complaints were gone.

Fortunately, I bought it here at TreoCentral and don't feel a swap out would be a problem.

Thanks.
  7.    #7  
    I'm not getting any complaints of a "drop out." The person on the other end claim that they can hear me just fine.

I do however have some static problems when the phone is too far away from the headset. If my phone is in my left pocket, and the headset is on my right ear, I'll get minor static. Bummer, but not too bad.
    I just got my 510 yesterday and I love it, so far. I have been wearing it all day today and it is very comfortable, no static at all within @ 15ft. of Treo, picks up very quickly when a call comes in, people on other end say it's very clear, paired easily and looks pretty cool also.

I just need to get used to the buttons, but that's not a problem at all.

The 510 has made me believe that BT on the 650 can be a great experience, can't say that about the SE HBH-300.

So, I give the 510 a !!
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
  9.    #9  
    I've been using the 510 on and off for about a week now, and still like it alot. It's super comfortable and plenty loud. However, I'm experiencing a little bit of static when there's a combination of obstructed line of sight and distance (5ft?). I blame this on my treo however, as I'm sure the headset wouldn't have this problem with another bluetooth phone.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    My wife and I both have Treo 650s and initially purchased the Treo bluetooth headset thinking that since it was made by the same company, it would work the best and also it utilizes the same charger which is a plus. Needless to say, after using it for a couple of weeks, the quality of the headset was horrible. Choppy audio on both ends, static, horrible range no matter which side I placed it on and the volume was sub-par. It never even felt secure on our ears, it just kinda dangled there.

I truly can't believe PalmOne would put out such a crappy product.

After doing some research, mainly on this site, we ordered the Plantronics Voyager 510. WORKS GREAT WITH THE TREO650! I was getting worried that no headset was going to work the way it should with our Treos, but man-o-man, the 510 is AWESOME. Very loud due to the in the ear design, extremely comfortable and most important, the quality of the call on both ends is excellent. Sounds even better then holding the Treo up to your ear. Only downside, if you want to call it that, it takes slightly longer (1/2 sec) to connect.

Definitely recommend the 510 to anyone looking for a Bluetooth headset for their Treo.

More info here:
    http://plantronics.com/north_america...36/prod5360004

Shop around, it can be had for under $50 shipped from certain online retailers which makes it a heck of a value.
    Last edited by jshamoon; 10/31/2005 at 01:45 PM.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Yes i may take a second or 2 to connect but it does connect. What I hate is that if I do not have my Plantronics headphone on and it is laying within transmitting range and my Treo receives a call, I try to use the handset, but the Treo transfers it to the Plantronics and I keep saying "Hello, Hello" then I realize that I have to disable the headset LOL So yea it does work !!! God Bless
    Quote Originally Posted by jdeluna
    What I hate is that if I do not have my Plantronics headphone on and it is laying within transmitting range and my Treo receives a call, I try to use the handset, but the Treo transfers it to the Plantronics and I keep saying "Hello, Hello" then I realize that I have to disable the headset LOL
    I know what you mean, happens to me all the time.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Love it! How much fun to pick up the treo and yell "wait, I've got to find my headset!!"!!

Re: 510

For outgoing calls (at least for $print - 1.12);
    Press the 'call control' button ONCE. You will hear 1 beep.
    After 2-3 secs., the treo will wake up.
    After 1-2 secs., another beep will signal that keyguard has
    been unlocked. At this point, the headset and the treo are
    'connected'.
    You can now normally use the 'dialpad', 'speed dial', etc.
    features of the treo without any 'delay'.

Anyone have other ideas?
    UPDATE-

Treocentral sent me a new 510. The new one doesn't have the momentary drop problem that my 1st one did.

Overall:
    Slightly better range than my Scala 500 (still only about 5 feet really)
    Better audio quality than my 500 (people sound better and nobody knows I'm on a headset)
    Same volume level in my ear as the 500 (never used any ear gels or the like)
    Slightly slower pickup time. The Scala will pickup on the 2nd ring where the Plantronics is more like late in the 3rd ring
    Much more comfortable and secure to wear for extended periods

For Treo 650 users where we have to deal with the idiosyncracies of volume and range, I think the Plantronics, while not the tiniest headset available, allows me to take sales and support calls while driving the best of all the headsets I've tried (Motorola 810, Scala 500, Plantronics 510).
  15.    #15  
    Do any of you guys get static from your L-510? I get some (but noticable) static when the phone is in the pocket of my pants. I thought it was the phone, but I have rules that out now that I am on my third Treo 650. The SprintPCS just replaced my Treo (under warranty) for a newer Treo 650 w/ the new SprintPCS logo, and I'm still getting the same static.

If others aren't experiencing this static, I'm wondering if it's an installed application on my Treo 650 that's causing this.