1.    #1  
    Hi,

I am considering getting a Treo 650 and would probably be out buying one as we speak if my prepurchase had not revealed some of issues on crippled Bluetooth on these devices. I could really use some help sorting through the facts as suggested to be my google. So I have some questions:

1) What differences are there among the functionality of the Treo 650s offered by the Cingular, Verizon, and Sprint? I am specifically concerned about the Bluetooth functions, but I have seen indications that Verizon at least has also crippled what can be done with the SD card. For the carriers that do some level of crippling, have they made any indication they might offer an update to uncripple in the future?

2) I'm new to Bluetooth, so I may be making a mountain out of a molehill. I know I don't care about DUN functionality. I think I do care about OBEX and perhaps OPP functionality. What can and can't be done with a phone without these profiles? Can I sync my calendar/contacts with my PC? Can I upload programs to the Treo? Data? Mp3s? Pictures? FWIW, my desktop system is Linux, if anyone can speak to that situation specifically.

3) I'm also new to cellular data services. If a plan promises x anytime minutes, unlimited data, is the data really free and unlimited. Or does surfing the web or sending email or whatnot cost minutes, and its just the bandwith that's unlimited?

Thanks,
    Jay
    I have a Sprint Treo 650, and use BT DUN with my powerbook. I also sync my Treo via BT, I also send apps to my Treo using BT file exchnage on my powerbook instead of doing a hotsync if I want it right away. I switched to Sprint from Cingular becuase they offered a cheaper unlimited data plan.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbloodworth
    1) What differences are there among the functionality of the Treo 650s offered by the Cingular, Verizon, and Sprint? I am specifically concerned about the Bluetooth functions, but I have seen indications that Verizon at least has also crippled what can be done with the SD card. For the carriers that do some level of crippling, have they made any indication they might offer an update to uncripple in the future?

2) I'm new to Bluetooth, so I may be making a mountain out of a molehill. I know I don't care about DUN functionality. I think I do care about OBEX and perhaps OPP functionality. What can and can't be done with a phone without these profiles? Can I sync my calendar/contacts with my PC? Can I upload programs to the Treo? Data? Mp3s? Pictures? FWIW, my desktop system is Linux, if anyone can speak to that situation specifically.
    I use Cingular and can transfer apps and files via bluetooth just fine. Havent tried syncing, but I believe that would be no problem. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $my$ $unit$ $is$ $not$ $crippled$ $anymore$ $since$ $Cingluar$ $released$ $the$ $DT$ $DUN$ $patch$.

3) I'm also new to cellular data services. If a plan promises x anytime minutes, unlimited data, is the data really free and unlimited. Or does surfing the web or sending email or whatnot cost minutes, and its just the bandwith that's unlimited?

Thanks,
    Jay
    Again, on Cingular at least, yes unlimited data is unlimited data. For $19.99/mo I get unlimited data transfers and that does not eat up my mins either. I think my biggest month so far was around 70mb transfered, much of that while using BT DUN, no extra charges at all.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    My experience is Cingular, T-Mo and Sprint.

Make sure unlimited data = unlimited data. My unlimited data plan with Cing costs $20/mo (can't get that anymore) and I use an average of 75meg/month. This includes browsing, email and laptop access.

Getting sometype of SMS plan is good also because there are a lot of things you can do and it is very handy on the Treo.

Sprint and TMo handled data similarly.

Buyer beware - there are MANY different versions of data plans, just get it in writing so if they mess it up, you can call them on it.

As far as BT - I found hotsync a little slow and loading movies to my SD card painfully slow. I use a cradle and and SD Card Socket now. Oddly enough, I love using my Treo as a modem via BT connection and PDANet (the data connection speed is usually the limiting factor in my case)
    Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    My experience is Cingular, T-Mo and Sprint.

Make sure unlimited data = unlimited data. My unlimited data plan with Cing costs $20/mo (can't get that anymore) and I use an average of 75meg/month. This includes browsing, email and laptop access.
    I believe you still can.
    I have a locked Cingular:

BT is fully functional with DUN & Powerbook ( I hve unlimited Data Service)
    BT is fully funtional with Sony HBH662 Headset
    BT is fully compatible with my car's Bluetooth System. Calls go through speaker system
    Audio & Video are excellent through PTunes and Kinoma
    BT hotsynch every now and then. More convenient for me to hotsynch while recharging through the Seido cradle.

My advice to you: Careful with 3rd party software! Mine are carefully picked with Treo Central members' help and I have a flawless Treo 650 since day 1
    Last edited by Treo Rat; 10/18/2005 at 05:12 PM.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    I believe you still can.

That's my point - they have a $20/month plan, but as I understand it, this is not an UNlimited plan.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks to all who have responded. Any experiences with Bluetooth transfers to other devices? Also, no one has mentioned Verizon - anybody have specifics on what their device will and won't do.

Thanks,
    Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    That's my point - they have a $20/month plan, but as I understand it, this is not an UNlimited plan.
    Yup, the one I have is, called something like Medianet unlimited, $20/mo.