1.    #1  
    I have a Treo 650, which I bought in August thru Verizon. Last night I updated the software from 1.03 to 1.04 off the palm website, with no problems. At the end was an optional link to update Versamail from 3.0 to 3.1 which came packaged on the Treo. While looking over the directions for the update it said I needed 2 pieces of information to proceed; my serial number which was behind the battery on the device and an ID# that began with the letters RPT. The latter is the problem. The ID number beginning with RPT was ONLY located on the paper sleeve the installation cd came in, which in my case, was thrown out when I put the cd in a jewel case for safekeeping in a cd case.
    Palm nor Verizon nor Motricity have a database of these numbers even after registration supposedly so I now have no way of updating my Versamail program unless I can find a workaround to update Versamail. Any suggestions?
    Have the same problem. Palm and Verizon were useless. I posted a request here hoping for a direct download link from someone. *fingers crossed*
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jocamero
    Have the same problem. Palm and Verizon were useless. I posted a request here hoping for a direct download link from someone. *fingers crossed*
    Thanks but I'm not holding out much hope. I have posted to so many different forums without a response so far. I think Palm & Verizon need their heads examined for doing something as ridiculous as this. But it's okay when my 2 years are up so are they and they won't be getting any recommendations from me in between. I wouldn't be in biz very long if I did this to a client and not have a fix, they shouldn't be either. What goes around comes around. I've been holding out leaving a broadcast voicemail to my office but I think the time is much closer now. Fortunatley or unfortunately there are at least 100 accounts.
    So...you threw away the sleeve with the serial number and this is Palm and/or VZW's fault?

Friggin' genius...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Keep it clean and no name calling.

Most license key and/or serial numbers for software are kept on the sleeve or sticker on the jewell cased CD or paper sleeve CD. The only way companies are interested in keeping your information is to sell you more and that the information is kept part of the registration process.

IMO, keeping serial numbers etc tied to your personal information are too costly to maintain as ownership changes. Your personal information is of more financial value to the company.
    So no one has this file or a RPT number we can use???? Come on guys. Please??
  7.    #7  
    So no one has this file or a RPT number we can use???? Come on guys. Please??
    Thats the same response I got in the other boards I joined, nuttin. Next week I'm going to try and get to the store I bought it at and see if I can't persuade them to give me a sleeve or another cd maybe. I'm afraid if i reinstall I may cause addtl problems maybe. All we need is an RPT number from a sleeve to see if we need to reinstall. People if you read this please reply with the number beginning with RPT on the cd sleeve that came with your treo. We just want to test it to see if we can update our Versamail program with it. If you don't have or use Versamail you are not losing anything.
    Palm's sending me a new CD (and sleeve). Here's their number: 813-313-4915
    of course i goto the download and they no longer require the rpt number. Only 'serial' and 'ESN'. Finally Palm gets its act together.

http://web.palm.com/support/versamail/
  10.    #10  
    of course i goto the download and they no longer require the rpt number. Only 'serial' and 'ESN'. Finally Palm gets its act together.

http://web.palm.com/support/versamail/
    I got an email while on vacation last week, tried it this afternoon with a RPT number he provided and it worked fine. An hour ago I get another email from him noting just what you mentioned. At least they came to their senses, they are dealing with humans.
    Thanks for keeping me in the loop.

Due to problems with folks who have lost their promotion code, the website is due to be changed tomorrow (November 4th 2005) to only require serial number and ESN Dec from the phone. It should no longer be an issue if you do not have the CD or its sleeve.