View Poll Results: Which headset(s) are the best for a Treo 650?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sony Ericsson HBH-300

9 20.00%
  • Sony Ericsson HBH-610

3 6.67%
  • Sony Ericsson HBH-662

14 31.11%
  • Plantronics Discovery 640

10 22.22%
  • Plantronics Voyager 510

13 28.89%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. aph
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I recently had a Motorola HS-850 which I lost and I want to buy a newer (and better) headset. The thing I loved most about the HS-850 was how I could clip it to my belt just by folding the boom in. The thing I hated most was how it felt "floppy" on the ear when I turned my head.

I can't do in-the-ear headsets since they bug me out and the BT250 was too big for my ear. So here are the ones I am considering:

Sony Ericsson HBH-300
    Sony Ericsson HBH-610
    Sony Ericsson HBH-662
    Plantronics Discovery 640
    Plantronics Voyager 510

I didn't include the Cado Scala since it looks too big and bulky for my tastes. The choices above represent my top picks based purely on looks. Given the other criteria, which is the best or should I stick with another HS-850?

Thanks!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by aph
    I recently had a Motorola HS-850 which I lost and I want to buy a newer (and better) headset. The thing I loved most about the HS-850 was how I could clip it to my belt just by folding the boom in. The thing I hated most was how it felt "floppy" on the ear when I turned my head.

I can't do in-the-ear headsets since they bug me out and the BT250 was too big for my ear. So here are the ones I am considering:

Sony Ericsson HBH-300
    Sony Ericsson HBH-610
    Sony Ericsson HBH-662
    Plantronics Discovery 640
    Plantronics Voyager 510

I didn't include the Cado Scala since it looks too big and bulky for my tastes. The choices above represent my top picks based purely on looks. Given the other criteria, which is the best or should I stick with another HS-850?

Thanks!!!
    Too big and bulky? I haven't tried a lot of different headsets, but I've found the Cardo Scala to be quite comfortable to wear and seems to work pretty well, too (not to mention pretty cheap!). I wish you had included this model in your poll - I'd like to know what others think in comparison to the Plantronics 510. I'm thinking about trying one of those to see if static is reduced, although it isn't a huge problem with the Cardo.

Thanks for the poll - it's good information.
    Unlocked/Unbranded GSM Treo 650
    1.71/1.30 ENA, HW A
    T-Mobile Total Internet
    I agree with grebb. The Scala is a worthy value and should be included in this poll, if only for cost vs. value. Pickup is fast enough given the Treo's marginal BT, and sound quality has not been an issue for me for the 4 mos. of usage. However,....... I have the plantronics 510 on order (from TC) to replace my Scala. NOT because I am unhappy with it. I accidentally positioned my coffee cup (full) under the headset and watched a perfect swan dive from its perch into the drink. I was able to retrieve it almost immediately from the Joe, but noticed that both red and blue leds were blinking (no, you can't remove the battery easily). LSS (long story short), after dryout on a towel the unit still works but speaker is just not quite right. Tho, people still say I sound good on their side.
    I have used plantronics products in the past with great results and hope the 510 will meet expectations. I prefer the semi-earbud profile of the 510 over the Scala's 'over the ear' fit, but will know for sure when it arrives.

The ONLY gripe I have w/ the Scala is its loose fit during activity. 'Head shake will the coffee swim make'
    So far, the HBH-300 has the best noise cancelling. Loved the Plantronics 510, but the noise cancellation was subpar. The HBH is 9/10 for noise cancellation. The plantronics is a 7. The TWH is a 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerLtng
    I agree with grebb. The Scala is a worthy value and should be included in this poll, if only for cost vs. value. Pickup is fast enough given the Treo's marginal BT, and sound quality has not been an issue for me for the 4 mos. of usage. However,....... I have the plantronics 510 on order (from TC) to replace my Scala. NOT because I am unhappy with it. I accidentally positioned my coffee cup (full) under the headset and watched a perfect swan dive from its perch into the drink. I was able to retrieve it almost immediately from the Joe, but noticed that both red and blue leds were blinking (no, you can't remove the battery easily). LSS (long story short), after dryout on a towel the unit still works but speaker is just not quite right. Tho, people still say I sound good on their side.
    I have used plantronics products in the past with great results and hope the 510 will meet expectations. I prefer the semi-earbud profile of the 510 over the Scala's 'over the ear' fit, but will know for sure when it arrives.

The ONLY gripe I have w/ the Scala is its loose fit during activity. 'Head shake will the coffee swim make'
    I would appreciate your comments on the 510 once you've had a chance to play with it for a while.

Thanks,
    1.71/1.30 ENA, HW A
    T-Mobile Total Internet
    Give me the 510 over the HBH-300 anyday.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    what about the nokia hw-11?
    Gregb (sorry, my dyslexia swore it was Grebb),

Have had the 510 now for 1.4 days. Initial thoughts are positive.
    If you are thinking about dumping the Scala for the thrill a new headset, consider your usage. Do you need a snug, albeit comfortable, fit during activity, or is ease of use and 1 handed operation more important. I am in the field (in and out of the truck) daily and usually leave the headset in the truck. When driving, I found the scala to be ideal to remove and hang on the cigarette lighter nub when not talking and then quickly grab to re-position on the ear when a call came in. I have no desire to converse, or have a blinking blue chrome growth on, unless absolutely necessary!
    Thus, I have mixed feelings about my switch from the scala to the 510.

To take the ratings criteria of headsets from TC (okay?).

510 scala
    Design
    Boom Mic. Compact.
    Semi-earbud design Multiple attach
    w/ 3 diff. buds to options.
    choose from. Sloppy 'over the
    Nice 'around' the ear, ear fit'.
    solid fit.

Usability
    Poor ergonomics for 1 Easy 1 handed
    handed use. operation. MFS
    Power button (?), as operation simple
    stated previously, re- and intuitive.
    quires bi-focals and a Big connect/end
    sharp fingernail. 1 button.
    handed 'slip on the ear'
    took some practice.

Sound Quality
    Great - no echo on Very good - some
    either end. loud and occasional echo.
    clear. Got 28' away Range as good -
    before any static. about 28'.

Cost / Benefit
    Still evaluating. Good headset for
    the buck. Will
    always keep, if
    just for backup.

Overall (5 - best)
    4.2 4.3
    Last edited by ParkerLtng; 10/26/2005 at 11:18 PM. Reason: This did NOT come out right. Try to read 'between' the lines.
    Whew, that did not come out right!

Design
    510 - boom mic., semi-earbud (3 types incl.) Nice 'around the ear', snug fit.
    Scala - Multiple attach options. Sloppy 'over the ear' fit.

Usuability
    510 - Poor ergonomics for 1 handed use. Power button requires bifocals and a sharp fingernail. 1 handed 'slip over the ear' took some practice.
    Scala - Easy 1 handed operation. MFS operation simple and intuitive. Big connect/end button.

Sound Quality
    510 - Great, no echo on either end. Loud and clear.
    Got 28' away before static.
    Scala - Very good. Some occasional echo. Range as good.

Cost / benefit (5 - best)
    510 - 4.2
    Scala - 4.3
    Buy a CARDO SCALA 500. It's AWESOME...loud, clear, nice fit, auto-link's with the Treo on phonecalls, easy-manage buttons. Can't get better. (I tossed my Motorola HS-850 in the garbage).
    Just got the HBH 662 and have to say it's great. After tons of research, here and elsewhere, I honed my purchase down to the 662. Really light, easy on the ear for extended periods of time and feels great while wearing glasses. Incoming and outgoing call pick-ups are quick (haven't experienced the delays others had in previous threads). Picked mine up on ebay.... GSM store I think it was. Snagged it for 58.00 with 12.00 shipping. Not too bad considering I found them selling for 64-84 elsewhere.
    Last edited by arabian; 10/27/2005 at 02:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rider
    (I tossed my Motorola HS-850 in the garbage).
    Threw it away!
    You should have given it to me so I could have sold it.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerLtng
    Whew, that did not come out right!

Design
    510 - boom mic., semi-earbud (3 types incl.) Nice 'around the ear', snug fit.
    Scala - Multiple attach options. Sloppy 'over the ear' fit.

Usuability
    510 - Poor ergonomics for 1 handed use. Power button requires bifocals and a sharp fingernail. 1 handed 'slip over the ear' took some practice.
    Scala - Easy 1 handed operation. MFS operation simple and intuitive. Big connect/end button.

Sound Quality
    510 - Great, no echo on either end. Loud and clear.
    Got 28' away before static.
    Scala - Very good. Some occasional echo. Range as good.

Cost / benefit (5 - best)
    510 - 4.2
    Scala - 4.3
    ParkerLtng - Thank you very much for the review. You spent a lot of time on it and I appreciate your efforts - it is very helpful. My only problem with the Scala is the static I get when I'm not right next to the phone. My son has the same headset that he uses with his Blackberry and he can talk from accross the room without much trouble. (I don't know if it is MY Scala or HIS Blackberry that makes it better.) If you think of it in a couple of weeks, please let me know any update you may have to offer.

Thanks again!
    1.71/1.30 ENA, HW A
    T-Mobile Total Internet
    Quote Originally Posted by Rider
    Buy a CARDO SCALA 500. It's AWESOME...loud, clear, nice fit, auto-link's with the Treo on phonecalls, easy-manage buttons. Can't get better. (I tossed my Motorola HS-850 in the garbage).
    I agree, best headset i've owned!
    PDA History

Treo 90 > Sony Clie SJ-20 > Tungsten E > HP Ipaq 4355 > Dell Axim X30 > Tungsten T|3 > Tungsten T|5 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Tungsten T|5 > Tungsten E|2 > Tungsten T|X > Blackberry 7250 > Treo 650 (Current)

Functional Palms
    Treo 650, T|X, and T|E2

Too Many Palms!!!
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    My wife and I both have Treo 650s and initially purchased the Treo bluetooth headset thinking that since it was made by the same company, it would work the best and also it utilizes the same charger which is a plus. Needless to say, after using it for a couple of weeks, the quality of the headset was horrible. Choppy audio on both ends, static, horrible range no matter which side I placed it on and the volume was sub-par. It never even felt secure on our ears, it just kinda dangled there.

I truly can't believe PalmOne would put out such a crappy product.

After doing some research, mainly on this site, we ordered the Plantronics Voyager 510. WORKS GREAT WITH THE TREO650! I was getting worried that no headset was going to work the way it should with our Treos, but man-o-man, the 510 is AWESOME. Very loud due to the in the ear design, extremely comfortable and most important, the quality of the call on both ends is excellent. Sounds even better then holding the Treo up to your ear. Only downside, if you want to call it that, it takes slightly longer (1/2 sec) to connect.

Definitely recommend the 510 to anyone looking for a Bluetooth headset for their Treo.

More info here:
    http://plantronics.com/north_america...36/prod5360004

Shop around, it can be had for under $50 shipped from certain online retailers which makes it a heck of a value.
    Went with the Motorola H300. It's small enough not to throw my head off-balance. I like that it uses AAA batteries and I don't have to shell out the bucks for a car charger.

I use it sparingly... almost exclusively in the car. Sound quality is alright. Not crystal clear but acceptable.

It's a basic headset and not too pricey. I think its a good choice for someone starting out or for someone who will use it limitedly and doesn't want to sink a fortune into the BT headset.
    Quote Originally Posted by jshamoon
    After doing some research, mainly on this site, we ordered the Plantronics Voyager 510. WORKS GREAT WITH THE TREO650! I was getting worried that no headset was going to work the way it should with our Treos, but man-o-man, the 510 is AWESOME. Very loud due to the in the ear design, extremely comfortable and most important, the quality of the call on both ends is excellent. Sounds even better then holding the Treo up to your ear. Only downside, if you want to call it that, it takes slightly longer (1/2 sec) to connect.

Definitely recommend the 510 to anyone looking for a Bluetooth headset for their Treo.
    I totally agree with you about this headset. I was thinking BT was not for me until I got this headset.

Got mine at Buy.com for under $50.00. Might be some better deals out there though.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treosixoo
    Got mine at Buy.com for under $50.00.
    Same here
    Quote Originally Posted by treosixoo
    Give me the 510 over the HBH-300 anyday.
    Could you be more specific. Have you tried and compared both? I have a HBH-300 and noticed that the 510 has a similar form. I think the 300 has great noise cancelling and landline quality sound with an eargel on. However, it is bulky and not as comfortable as a Cardo Scala. I like the way the earpiece on the 510 looks, and might give the 510 a try. As Sara Evans sings, I'm always "Lookin' for Something More."
    Yes SAKozicki, I have tried both. I had the HBH-300 1st and used it for about a week. My experience with it was not a good one. When I was less than 3 ft. from the phone it was great, but anything over that was 'StaticCentral!' It was too bulky and not comfortable at all. It was also a 'pain in the ***' to pair with the 650.

My experience with the 510 has been great. Comfortable, pairs easily, good walk away distance (@15ft. with no static), connects quickly, good sound quality on both ends. My only complaint is that every now ant then it loses the pairing with the 650 and I have to repair them.

Overall, I like it a lot.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast