1.    #1  
    I have recently purchased a Tom Tom 5 system with a GlobalSat Bluetooth GPS Device. To be safe I did a hard reset on my device(Treo 650) to ensure that I had a clean install. I am also running the latest Palm software updates as well. The installation went smooth and I loaded the maps into the card and the software was activated fairly easily. I am also running the latest Tom Tom 5 upgrade as well. The issue that I am having trouble with is pairing the two devices. On two separate occaisions I have established long term contact, but to get to that point was difficult and required several different combinations of button pressing to get it to work, turning blue tooth on and off, reconfiguring the Bluetooth device inside of Tom Tom etc. Has anyone had similar problems? Or know what I might be missing in terms of start to finish. I had read in other areas of users saying that turning Bluetooth on and off was important and that Dial Up Networking needed to be activated. Again any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Having DUN activated does not sound right. DUN communicates between the Treo and a PC. It has nothing to do with accessing GPS unit. I have the Tomtom MKII GPS receiver so have not had any pairing issues (it pairs automatically). Others who have non-Tomtom receivers should be able to give some specific pairing advice.
    I was right there with you when I 1st got mine... I got soo aggrevated when trying to pair them. Sometimes some combinations worked, sometimes they didnt... couldnt seem to make heads or tails of it... that was until I posted this thread.

The secret:
    1. Turn bluetooth off on your Treo.
    2. Turn your reciever on.
    3. Wait until the satellite light on your reciever (middle led) starts blinking. (And this is the part that I didnt know about and later realized was the issue entirely)
    4. Finally turn on bluetooth and start navigator (or simply start Navigator and say yes when it prompts to turn on bt).

This process works flawlessly everytime. The only thing Ive come to realize is that it can sometimes take a REAL long time for the reciever to sync up to the satellites when its been shut off for an extended period of time- upwards of 3-5min in some cases. Other than this minor annoyance, I havent had any other issues with this excellent combo. (oh.. and this of course assumes youve already added it to your trusted devices and put in the passcode)

Hope this helps!
    hi everyone....

i just received this combo in the mail today. seems like everything went fine in the install, and i am charging the GPS receiver right now. however, i cannot seem to get a signal from the satellites (middle LED is supposed to be flashing green)? i've had it on for about half an hour now.... any ideas?

thanks,
    - brian
    Are you in a congested area? Can you take the GPS outside and see if will pickup a signal, if not, place the GPS on a window sill? Also, it helps if you remain stationary while it tries to acquire a connection.
    wow, thanks for the quick reply, marky. as u can imagine i am itching to get this thing working....

i live in an apartment, not particulary congested... tried standing outside for about 10 minutes but no luck. green LED still steady lit.... placed it on the windowsill now and see if it will get signal. however, if that doesn't work? any ideas? not likely that it is faulty right?

- brian
    I would think it is unlikely that the device is faulty. I see that you list Boston and NY (NYC?) as your location. I work in downtown DC and have had an extremely difficult time getting a signal the few times I've tried. At my home (less density) I'm able to get one in about a minute. It's probably just a simple issue of building congestion. The good thing is that getting a signal is not dependant on your Treo so troubleshooting should be fairly simple.

Can you go to the roof of your apartment? Not the ideal situation but if you get a signal there you will at least know your device is fine.
    at the moment I am on the jersey side on the hudson right across from downtown manhattan.... while it may seem to me that it is not really congested where i amthe satellites may not see it that way so u may be correct.

i don't think i have access to the roof... i will try though and see what happens. however, i plan on using this device in this area (at first anyways) and i know getting the first signal lock is important for the device to figure out its location. should i try driving somewhere and see if it locks? u said that it would be better if it was stationary.

any input is greatly appreciated. thanks,
    - bri
    Based on your description I would think the area is not too congested. Driving to an open space would help but make sure you are stationary when trying to obtain the lock. Obviously that is not going to be a good permenant solution though. When you were outside before for 10-minutes, where you holding the GPS or did you sit it down? I find that mine is very sensitive to movement during the satellite grabbing phase.
    i was holding on to it, stood around... and nothing happened. i will try driving out somewhere later and see if it works. this is the newer model (BT-359) which came after the 338, and i've read that a lot of ppl were satisfied with the results with the 338.

on a side note, my roommate had a garmin GPS (not bluetooth) that he used and he did not seem to have a problem acquiring a satellite lock.

- bri
    i just got my combo today, too. couldn't get an initial fix in the office so i walked out to the open parking lot. picked up a signal in maybe 15 seconds. now everything's all good.

Here's a simple question for everyone:
    Am I supposed to orient the receiver a particular way? For example, I need to keep the top of the receiver facing towards the sky and the top of the receiver facing in front of me?
    Palm III -> Palm IV -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p
    finally got mine working..... acquired its satellite signal and everything is good.

i don't think u have to place it a certain way.... i think it detects its orientation based on the direction of travel. someone correct if i'm wrong?

thanks for the help...
    - brian
    Quote Originally Posted by chuhsi
    i just got my combo today, too. couldn't get an initial fix in the office so i walked out to the open parking lot. picked up a signal in maybe 15 seconds. now everything's all good.

Here's a simple question for everyone:
    Am I supposed to orient the receiver a particular way? For example, I need to keep the top of the receiver facing towards the sky and the top of the receiver facing in front of me?
    It doesn't seem to matter at all with mine. I don't even have it in view of the sky sometimes.