Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    I've enjoyed my VZW T650 for most of the last 5 months. The last few weeks it has suddenly started resetting during phone calls. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes it happens 3 times in 24 hours. It appears to occur most frequently when I am on a long call, or when something else happens during a call (like an incoming call). I have no choice but to fix this since I have lost business opportunities by losing the caller and not being able to get them back quickly. I thought Snapper might be causing the problem becuase whenever I get a Snapper incoming mail notification the unit freezes (no buttons work) for a minute or so, but I uninstalled Snapper and the resets are still happening. I have searched the forums and learned about different types of resets, ROM upgrade, which are better apps then some I have, and trouble-shooting. At this point I don't know what is the best route and I would appreciate advice from experts.

    I am thinking of wiping the unit clean and reinstalling everything. This might allow me to make better choices as far as apps, install more to my 2gb Sd, etc. Here are my questions for any willing expert:

    (1) Is this the right strategy, or is there something less drastic that I should try?
    (2) How do I do this. It appears that a hard reset versus a zero out is appropriate. I read the P1 website and am still uncertain.
    (3) Should I update the ROM after reset? I have had no problems until this one, so I never went with the new ROM and it seems as if people have had mixed results.
    (4) I see lots of people having trouble with versamail. I use Snapper but I used to use versamail. Could this be the problem? I don't see an app titled versamail but I have one titled mail that I think is a system app.
    (5) How do I handle hotsyncing? In the past it seems as if the system would try to create a new user for me if I install new sync software (I use KeySuite). I want to keep all of my outlook 2003 data and possibly keep my hotsync ID because I think some software is tied to it.
    (6) Any other advice. I need to fix tommorrow at the latest.

    Thanks,

    Dave
  2. #2  
    Do it.
  3. #3  
    Upgrade your firmware. Follow the instructions from PalmOne. Before you sync after installing the firmware, rename your username folder in the PalmOne folder in Program Files to xxusername. Then sync and you will have a clean install. You can always copy your programs and data from the old folder.

    Once you reinstall KeySuite, it will pull in your Outlook data.
    Last edited by gapost; 10/17/2005 at 07:02 PM.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost
    Upgrade your firmware. Follow the instructions from PalmOne. Before you sync after installing the firmware, rename your username folder in the Palm folder to xxusername. Then sync and you will have a clean install. You can always copy your programs and data from the old folder.

    Once you reinstall KeySuite, it will pull in your Outlook data.
    please explain..firmware??..i want to also clean out my 650..and start a new..thanks
  5. #5  
    please explain..firmware??..i want to also clean out my 650..and start a new..thanks
    Go to the PalmOne website and find the support section for your 650 and wireless carrier. It will have the latest firmware (Rom updates) and instructions on how to install it. You can check your current firmware version by going to Phone Info in the phone menu.

    PalmOne 650 firmware
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost
    Go to the PalmOne website and find the support section for your 650 and wireless carrier. It will have the latest firmware (Rom updates) and instructions on how to install it. You can check your current firmware version by going to Phone Info in the phone menu.

    PalmOne 650 firmware
    ok..yes i have the updated firmware..now how do i restore treo to its original state, but I also want to keep all my pictures, contaacts, calender..I just want to erase junk software on the treo..thanks for your help
  7. #7  
    Just like I said to rename your old username folder. All your old stuff will be in there if you want it back on your palm. When you do a hard reset and then sync to your old username, it will be like it was when new, including your data from Outlook or Palm Desktop.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost
    Just like I said to rename your old username folder. All your old stuff will be in there if you want it back on your palm. When you do a hard reset and then sync to your old username, it will be like it was when new, including your data from Outlook or Palm Desktop.
    synch to old user name, or new user name...my contacts, calender and pictures, will be on my treo, when i synch to a new user name?? thx
  9. #9  
    The best way to start "clean" is to rename your backup folder backupold.
    Programs>Palm> userid>backup to backupold

    Then when you sync to your old userid (after a hard reset) you will only get your PIM data back on your Treo.(Contacts, Tasks, Memos, Appointments.)

    All your old 3rd party stuff is still saved in the backupold folder, only the PIM data was brought back to the Treo. You are now in a fresh state.

    Install desired 3rd party software fresh, one at a time. If you do not have photos back, you can transfer them from the backupold folder to the new backup folder.

    Cheers, Perry
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    The best way to start "clean" is to rename your backup folder backupold.
    Programs>Palm> userid>backup to backupold

    Then when you sync to your old userid (after a hard reset) you will only get your PIM data back on your Treo.(Contacts, Tasks, Memos, Appointments.)

    All your old 3rd party stuff is still saved in the backupold folder, only the PIM data was brought back to the Treo. You are now in a fresh state.

    Install desired 3rd party software fresh, one at a time. If you do not have photos back, you can transfer them from the backupold folder to the new backup folder.

    Cheers, Perry
    thx for yr help..i cant find my current back up folder....????
  11. #11  
    Use your PC's search or find function and look for your "userid". Verizon may have used a different directory path than I listed. Search for "folders" and only search for the first five letters of your userid with an * . . . .search for: "xxxxx*"

    This should help you find where they have put the backup folder.


    Just in case: on Windows XP, you find the search function by clicking on "Start"
    Last edited by gtwo; 10/17/2005 at 09:08 PM.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost
    Just like I said to rename your old username folder. All your old stuff will be in there if you want it back on your palm. When you do a hard reset and then sync to your old username, it will be like it was when new, including your data from Outlook or Palm Desktop.
    Happy Birthday, gapost!
    V > Vx > m505 > m515 > T/T > T3 > TC > 650 > 680
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://download.skype.com/share/skypebuttons/js/skypeCheck.js"></script>
    <a href="skype:wwgamble?call"><img src="http://mystatus.skype.com/balloon/wwgamble" style="border: none;" width="150" height="60" alt="My Skype status" /></a>
  13. #13  
    ok thx..found it with todays date on it due to todays hot synch
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gamble
    Happy Birthday, gapost!
    Thanks Bill. Nice of you to notice.

Posting Permissions