1.    #1  
    does running tomtom or other gps programs require an internet connnection? i still do not have an unlimited data plan.
    No, gps had nothing to do with the data connection. You connect the Treo via BT to the GPS receiver. The receiver detects gps satellite signals from space and transmits the signals to the Treo.

However you might want data connectivity if you want to do things like geochaching etc...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by jdeuel
    does running tomtom or other gps programs require an internet connnection? i still do not have an unlimited data plan.
    With TomTom Navigator 5.12, you can have it download traffic conditions for your planned route. If it looks bad, you can then have Navigator re-plan your route to avoid congestion. This download requires an internet connnection. Nothing else in Navigator has a similar requirement. The traffic information isn't always accurate but it's better than nothing.

Paul