1.    #1  
    Ok I tried searching but either didn't get the right words or didn't dig through enough threads, but here's my issue:

When I press and hold down the end call/power button to try and turn the phone off (not just turn the screen off) all it does is instantly turn the screen off. Occasionally I'll be able to keep turning the display on/off a bunch of times and it will eventually let me hold the button down and turn the phone on or off, but it seems very rare.

I'm using a Sprint Treo 650 with 1.12 firmware. I just recently hard reset and rebuilt my device because I had a bunch of buggy software on it, so I know the issue was there right after the hard reset even before any 3rd party software. But, the software I have installed right now is: Docs2Go, Verichat, Zlauncher, BackupBuddyVFS and DirAssist. The only thing I restored from my old backup was the 3 DB files for my call log, contacts and calendar.

This has been happening for several months now and it really hasn't been much of a problem, but now I'm flying to Las Vegas in a week and I really need to be able to reliably turn it off on the plane so I can use it and demonstrate to a flight attendant that it is really off if necessary.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA
    Weird. You can try changing to the phone app first...although it shouldn't be necessary. Also, is keyguard enabled? I've seen weird behavior when using keyguard.

An alternative option is to simply soft reset. Without the help of 3rd party apps, the radio should not come on automatically after the reset. Or there are 3rd party apps that let you control the radio by time, etc. RadioControl is one that comes to mind...there are several others. A quick search should find plenty of options for you if you want to go that route.

Good Luck!
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    I've seen this happen a few times, and I can't recall what was causing the problem.

I found that going into the Phone application made it work 100%, so if you continue having the problem you can work around it that way.
    I fly quite a bit and never turn my phone off so that I can use the internet as long as I receive a signal (of course I leave it in silent mode). For those pesky flight attendants, I use a cool program called LEDoff so that my LED doesn't blink and my Treo appears to be off. I'm glad you reminded me. I've got to get that installed on my 650.

Disclaimer: Just to clarify....I haven't done this all these years out of lack of regard for the safety of my fellow passengers. There simply has been no evidence of any danger. The disparate cell phone "rules" (not laws) enforced by various carriers on commercial flights may be changing very soon. It has been known for quite some time that the upwards of one-third of cell phones, radio devices, and computers aboard every flight are left in the on position in checked baggage, carry-ons, purses, and pockets. They have posed no danger to flight communications, but, at the same time, can you imagine what it would be like if everyone on a plane talked on cell phones? There have been high-level discussions about this for some time. Right now it is just easier and less controversial to leave the policy the way it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash!
    Ok I tried searching but either didn't get the right words or didn't dig through enough threads, but here's my issue:

When I press and hold down the end call/power button to try and turn the phone off (not just turn the screen off) all it does is instantly turn the screen off. Occasionally I'll be able to keep turning the display on/off a bunch of times and it will eventually let me hold the button down and turn the phone on or off, but it seems very rare.

I'm using a Sprint Treo 650 with 1.12 firmware. I just recently hard reset and rebuilt my device because I had a bunch of buggy software on it, so I know the issue was there right after the hard reset even before any 3rd party software. But, the software I have installed right now is: Docs2Go, Verichat, Zlauncher, BackupBuddyVFS and DirAssist. The only thing I restored from my old backup was the 3 DB files for my call log, contacts and calendar.

This has been happening for several months now and it really hasn't been much of a problem, but now I'm flying to Las Vegas in a week and I really need to be able to reliably turn it off on the plane so I can use it and demonstrate to a flight attendant that it is really off if necessary.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA
    I have had the EXACT same problem for months. It started right after I upgraded from 1.08 to 1.12. I thought it was the firmware at first. After a while, I found that if I press the power button very lightly I can usually get the radio to go on and off. Seems like it might be a hardware issue. I can't explain why the amount of pressure would make a difference but it seems to work. I'd be very curious to know if that technique works for you.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle92
    I have had the EXACT same problem for months. It started right after I upgraded from 1.08 to 1.12. I thought it was the firmware at first. After a while, I found that if I press the power button very lightly I can usually get the radio to go on and off. Seems like it might be a hardware issue. I can't explain why the amount of pressure would make a difference but it seems to work. I'd be very curious to know if that technique works for you.
    That definitely worked.

I agree that I have no guess as to why pressure would matter, but just lightly holding down the power button works for me just fine, I tested it about half a dozen times and it definitely works.
    Wow. I've had this problem as well. I can't believe pressure actually makes a difference...

At least it works now.

Learn something new every day. :-)
    I have a new observation. This seemed to start with the 1.12 ROM update. The adjustable keyboard brightness was added with that update so I thought I'd try playing with that. Sure enough, if you turn the brightness way down then it is much easier to turn the radio on and off. If it is important that you have a reliable means of turning it off (e.g., flying)then I'd suggest giving that a try.