Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1.    #1  
    I am looking for an application that I can use to download podcasts on my pc and have them autosynch (via hotsynch preferably) to my 650. Any thoughts?

    Ethan
  2. #2  
    Download the MP3's and sync them with pTunes using Windows Media Player, or RealPlayer mobile with Real.

    Greg
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by eseltzer
    I am looking for an application that I can use to download podcasts on my pc and have them autosynch (via hotsynch preferably) to my 650. Any thoughts?

    Ethan

    There's a couple options here:

    You could first just downlaod the podcasts directly on the Treo using Quicknews:

    http://standalone.com/palmos/quick_news/

    Another option is use an padcast downloader app and then have it saved to a syncable folder using bluesync:

    http://www.bluesquirrel.com/products/bluesync/

    Bluesync allows you to sync and backup the SD card. Thus you can automatically download the podcast to the bluesync folder on the desktop, and it will automatically sync with the card on the treo then next hotsync...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  4. #4  
    The odd thing is that I have QN 1.21, but it will not successfully download any podcasts via RSS feeds. I have tried adding these two links as feeds in QN:

    http://feeds.feedburner.com/linuxquestions/LQPodcast
    http://feeds.feedburner.com/diggnation

    and neither will download. QN just says "connecting" and then "waiting for response", and finally it times out, downloading absolutely nothing.

    Do I have bad feeds or perhaps I am using the wrong links?

    Thanks in advance,

    Fortezza
  5. #5  
    I could never get QN to work either. I usually just download it with iTunes.

    I found out that when you are on iTunes, you can just drag the name of the songs/podcast to a windows folder and they will be copied over! So I make a shortcut for my SD card's mp3 folder. I insert the card and click on the shortcut, and drag it over from iTunes. That's the easiest I can do.
  6. #6  
    Try the latest beta from quicknews 1.23aa

    http://www.standalone.com/cgi/beta.cgi

    1.21 was a while ago
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

    "95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  7. #7  
    I started out using Idletunes , which I used in conjunction with iTunes/CardExport. Idletunes copies your podcast playlists to any drive letter. That drive letter can either be the SD card in a card reader, or the SD card in the Treo with CardExport enabled (which turns the Treo into a card reader).

    But that really wasn't that much easier than manually copying the MP3s, which is what I do now.

    I would like to see CardExport come up with a conduit for podcasts/iTunes, so that a sync would automatically enable the SD card as a USB device then copy over the MP3s to a specified directory -- all in 1 click.
  8. #8  
    If you're Windows only this will be of no value, but if you have a Mac you can use The Missing Sync and the iTunes conduit that comes with it. Set iTunes to download the podcast automatically and choose the podcast playlist in the conduit options and it syncs the podcasts in iTunes and on the SD card. It's nice that it does proper synchronisation so that if you have iTunes set to keep only the latest couple of podcasts, TMS will delete episodes from the SD once they've been cleaned out of iTunes. I'm sort of surprised that no one has written a similar conduit for PC Hotsync.
  9. jagooch
    jagooch's Avatar
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    There's a couple options here:

    You could first just downlaod the podcasts directly on the Treo using Quicknews:

    http://standalone.com/palmos/quick_news/

    Another option is use an padcast downloader app and then have it saved to a syncable folder using bluesync:

    http://www.bluesquirrel.com/products/bluesync/

    Bluesync allows you to sync and backup the SD card. Thus you can automatically download the podcast to the bluesync folder on the desktop, and it will automatically sync with the card on the treo then next hotsync...
    I am playing with Bluesync, and it always wants to sync with my entire SD Card instead of letting tell it to sync one folder on my PC with on folder on my SD card.

    Any ideas on how to do this?

    Oh, and I download my Podcasts to a network drive using a program on my Linux box, so that is why I want to specify which folder on the PC maps to which folder on the SD card. Bluesync seems to insist that I will have to put my Podcast audio files in the folder it creates on the Windows PC. Not good.
    Last edited by jagooch; 02/18/2006 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Forgot some details
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jagooch
    I am playing with Bluesync, and it always wants to sync with my entire SD Card instead of letting tell it to sync one folder on my PC with on folder on my SD card.

    Any ideas on how to do this?

    Oh, and I download my Podcasts to a network drive using a program on my Linux box, so that is why I want to specify which folder on the PC maps to which folder on the SD card. Bluesync seems to insist that I will have to put my Podcast audio files in the folder it creates on the Windows PC. Not good.

    Yeah, unfortunately I believe that's how it works. Bluesync syncs the entire SD card on the palm device. The very first sync is long obvously and every subsequent sync is much shorter depending on the amount of changes...

    What I was referring to was downloading the podcasts to a folder in your bluesync card folder, presumably:

    c:\program files\palmone\profile\bluesync\card\audio etc

    Then bluesync would automatically sync the files to the same folder on card every hotsync...

    Another option is to use something like the combo of Goodsync and card export where the card can be automatically sync's etc...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  11. #11  
    Here's what I did back in the day when I actually listened to them on my treo:
    Use a podcast download app to get the files (Juice is my choice). Then have Windows Media automatically copy the folder to your SD card when you put it in your reader.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Here's what I did back in the day when I actually listened to them on my treo.
    What do you use now? I gave up listening to podcasts on my Treo because I didn't like using the headphone adapter - I was afraid it would damage the Treo. Now I just use my iPod, but carrying two devices seems kind of silly given that the Treo can do pretty much everything the iPod does. I just with it had the larger headphone jack.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    What do you use now? I gave up listening to podcasts on my Treo because I didn't like using the headphone adapter - I was afraid it would damage the Treo. Now I just use my iPod, but carrying two devices seems kind of silly given that the Treo can do pretty much everything the iPod does. I just with it had the larger headphone jack.
    Why not just get a set of Seido headphones for the Treo? Solves the problem with less risk of breaking the headset jack.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by ColKurtz
    Why not just get a set of Seido headphones for the Treo? Solves the problem with less risk of breaking the headset jack.
    I use a pair of Shure E3c ear phones. Seido has since come out with the 2-IN-1 InEar product but I can't imagine they really compare in terms of sound quality.
  15. #15  
    Well, there's a 1gb ipod nano now for 150. I think that's a great deal, as a podcast device. and it's so small, you can barely feel it.

    The treo can play mp3s, but it's missing: software to easily manage transfers back and forth, software that downloads the pdocasts automatically, and most importantly, a great way to navigate and listen to them. THE best thing about the nano's capabilities with podcasts is that when you navigate to the podcast menu on the ipod, it has a blue dot next to the casts that have a new episode. That rocks!! Oh, and it doesn't slow down/take up the treo's battery.

    Anyway, had to say all that. My experience before (treo as an mp3 player) and after with the ipod is so dramatically different / better. I really recommend any podcaster consider it.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    What do you use now? I gave up listening to podcasts on my Treo because I didn't like using the headphone adapter - I was afraid it would damage the Treo. Now I just use my iPod, but carrying two devices seems kind of silly given that the Treo can do pretty much everything the iPod does. I just with it had the larger headphone jack.
    I don't listen to podcasts when I'm not running. I use a creative muvo for that.
  17. #17  
    I have been using the Podcatcher-on-a-Stick program at http://www.podblogger.de/mp3stick/ . It lives on the SD card, runs off the SD card and downloads the podcasts directly to the SD card. Use CardExport or CardReader to activate it manually from the Treo or pop your SD card into a card reader to update.

    I run a mirror of Podcatcher-on-a-Stick on my PC and run it automatically with MS Scheduled Tasks every day. Then I use a freeware program called GoodSync from http://goodsync.com/ which detects when the SD card is present and will run and keep the podcast file on the PC and the SD card in sync. Works great and with my portable keychain card reader too. I can plug it into any computer while traveling and update my podcasts without downloading a thing onto the host PC.
  18. wbwjr's Avatar
    Posts
    440 Posts
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    I could never get QN to work either. I usually just download it with iTunes.

    I found out that when you are on iTunes, you can just drag the name of the songs/podcast to a windows folder and they will be copied over! So I make a shortcut for my SD card's mp3 folder. I insert the card and click on the shortcut, and drag it over from iTunes. That's the easiest I can do.

    I just downloaded ITunes. The podcast that I have has a file extension of .pcast. If I copy it over to a folder on my desktop and then drag to my sd card, will it play on my Palm?

    Thanks
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Here's what I did back in the day when I actually listened to them on my treo:
    Use a podcast download app to get the files (Juice is my choice). Then have Windows Media automatically copy the folder to your SD card when you put it in your reader.

    just do it this way, easier, automatic, and doesnt require anymore software.

Posting Permissions