1.    #1  
    Are there any ohter apps like Volumecare? I am evaluating VC, but it would be nice to have something to compare it to. Also, it seems that the sound, although lounder, is not quite as clear when using VC.

Thoughts?
    Agreed it is not as clear...gets distorted, but there is no alternative app that I am aware of. If you play with the settings in VC you should be able to find a good balance between volume and distortion.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    Agreed it is not as clear...gets distorted, but there is no alternative app that I am aware of. If you play with the settings in VC you should be able to find a good balance between volume and distortion.
    Exactly right. What I have given you in VolumeCare is *complete* control over the configuration of the phone's volume range. I could have simplified the application but then I would have been making assumptions just like Palm did when they created the phone. What I have found is that not every Treo was created equal! There are several companies that make the speakers and each speaker has different levels of quality. VolumeCare allows you to find the optimal configuration for your phone and for your hearing! It provides this configuration for not only the speakers but also for the MIC.

Jeff
    If you have a GSM unlocked, a near future upgrade looks like it could fix the volume problems.
    I have the Sprint T650 without noticeable sound problems. I just got a Cingular T650 for work, and let me tell you, I could NOT use this handset without VC. No question, it' $14 well spent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Joe
    If you have a GSM unlocked, a near future upgrade looks like it could fix the volume problems.
    This is yet to be shown and as we all know, new ROMs break more things than they fix sometimes. (The ROM that was just released was NOT from Palm. It was created in China somewhere and included an illegal version of VolumeCare.) I do know Plam is trying to improve the volume on their phones but is several months way from releasing an attempted fix. But even when they release the update and even if it increases the volume, it will still *not* allow you to have complete control over the volume adjustment for each speaker that VolumeCare provides. They will be setting the level but VolumeCare will still give you the ability to completely configure the volume on your unique Treo. VolumeCare will still give you the ability to get total and complete full volume in those noisy environments. Lastly, VolumeCare will still be the only applicaiton that allows you to adjust the MIC sentitivity based on your voice and your environment.

Jeff
    VC is fine but on many Treos it also induces echo along with disturtion no matter how you play with any or all of the variable settings.
    "This space intentionally left blank."
    Works great here, no complaints. And Jeff offers a complete refund if you purchase and it doesn't work out, especially good if you've trial'ed it in the past and can't trial it again because it knows it's expired already.

My wife is much happier that I can A: Hear her talk. B: She can hear ME talk. Handset and mic boosted.
    Bottomline: Volumecare works for some, not for others
    Quote Originally Posted by write1here
    VC is fine but on many Treos it also induces echo along with disturtion no matter how you play with any or all of the variable settings.
    VC also breaks other applications like 3rd party ringtone managers.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IronMonkey

Which one(s)? I use Ringo Pro and VC. No problems at all.
    If Jeff could just solve that echo problem for many of us, VolumeCare could be recommended rather than accompanied by warnings and cautions.
    If Jeff could just solve that echo problem for many of us, VolumeCare could be recommended rather than accompanied by warnings and cautions.
    "Solve the echo problem?"

I'm not sure that Jeff has access to some sort of magical sound equalizer to eliminate echo. I would guess that Jeff can access Volume, and that's pretty much it. I would furthermore guess that the different subcontractors that supply Palm with a speaker for the earphone are more responsible for echo than anything else...

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    The echo problem is only on some models of the Treo 600. It is not an issue on Treo 650's. I am trying to resolve the T600 issue.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by IronMonkey
    I have only seen this behavior if you have the VolumeCare option "Stop Alarms during calls" enabled. I have even built in a fix for this condition in the release that will be coming out later this week.

Jeff
    Actually, no need to guess. For VC does, indeed, cause echo in some Treos as Jeff himself noted. Consequently, it isn't a matter of devising a "magical sound equalizer," but rather fixing how VolumeCare acts in some of our phones.

-------------------
    I'm not sure that Jeff has access to some sort of magical sound equalizer to eliminate echo. I would guess that Jeff can access Volume, and that's pretty much it. I would furthermore guess that the different subcontractors that supply Palm with a speaker for the earphone are more responsible for echo than anything else...

-Warr