1.    #1  
    Well, as I recently aquired a GPS for the 650 I thought I would go out and pick up Mapoplois 2.3 for the 650. Initially I was thrilled with the software when only following my location on the map. The problems came when I tried to generate a route (the most important feature for me!). 7 out of 10 times the 650 resets when searching for the address. This is both time consuming and frustrating as I then have to start the GPS in the mapopolis app and then re-type the address.

From previous thread hunting this is what I have tried:
    Deleted all maps save for one that I store in RAM
    Assured 12+ megs of available free memory on the treo
    Deleted Butler
    Deleted VolumeCare
    Deleted Phone Technician

All seemingly to no avail. The application 'seems' a little more stable but that could be imagination as I still get many,many resets. All my other apps work great and do not reset the treo.

I'm probably just ranting but I get a little frustrated when a company puts out a product that cant live up to its claims. There are far too many other reports of this problem for it to be coincidental.

I would like the government to track down 'buggy' software makers with grandios claims, who charge top dollar, as actively as it tracks down software pirates. I guess the guy with the biggest wallet gets the attention...
    Click for Free iPod Nano or better. - really works!
    I was about to give mapoplis a try until I saw your post. Thanks.

Maybe Tomtom ain't so bad after all. They do have limited POI's.
  3.    #3  
    No problem. I have calmed down a little today
    It was frustrating because we just moved to Seattle from San Fran and I really have a bad sense of direction, hence the purchase of Mapopolis. So there I am on the other side of the county relying on the Mapopolis GPS to get me to my new home. At one point it took me 20 mins to get the 'Navigation' to generate a route without resetting. All the time sat at the side of a busy highway watching reset after reset.
    Today I'm calmer and back to tinkering with settings to get the thing to work. It just 'irks' me that software as buggy as this can be sold as a final product.
    After installing Map...it initially caused a few resets, but then suddenly stabilized. I might recommend uninstalling Volume Care (if that's really the conflict), and reinstalling VC AFTER installing Mapopopolis. I don't use Butler, but I heard there's some sort of conflict there.

Otherwise Map is great. I opted for Map after checking out Tom Tom and finding it didn't work as well with my bluetooth GPS antenna.

Greg

unlocked/unbranded GSM / T-Mobile
    I had exactly the same issues with Mapopolis. I live in a area where anyplace I route to for work goes through several large metro areas (including Chicago). End result: almost any route I try to generate - bam - reset. I've worked extensively with Mapopolis' tech support. While they've been great, there's just nothing they can do. It worked fine on my Tungsten T, it works absolutely wonderfully on my Pocket PC - they just can't make it work on the Treo. It trys to load each entire county into RAM... eventually even with 10 MB free it just fills up and resets.

A lot of people have said that they have gotten it to work, though I don't know if they mean for routing. I just never have. If I know where I'm going and just need a map of the area once I'm there, it'll work. If I ask it to route me there - reset - every time. I try every so often to reinstall it just to make sure it doesn't work. It never does. It's a shame, because it is a good mapping/routing solution. As I said, I use it on my PPC and it's wonderful. In my internal keep the Treo vs. switch to a Windows Mobile phone checklist, mapping falls solidly on the WM side.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    I've never had a problem with mapopolis on my treo650
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    .. I've worked extensively with Mapopolis' tech support. While they've been great, there's just nothing they can do.
    I can suggest two things they can do:
    1) On the website offer some kind of information as to problems on the 650.

"Mapopolis does not support the Zire 21 or the Tungsten W. . "
    No mention of the 650!

2) Offer 650 customers a refund.

8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz
    I've never had a problem with mapopolis on my treo650
    Are you using it with a GPS unit and 'Navigation' mode?
    I forgot... all the problems I've had are simple point A to point B navigation - no GPS at all. The issue is that the Palm version of Mapopolis must load an entire map if you enter any location within it. If I'm navigating to the Chicago suburbs the program must load several very densely populated counties. It's just too much for the Treo. If Mapopolis could dynamically load and unload map segments... alas it doesn't.
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    I "find" my addresses first with the correct county in view mode. Then when I go to Navigate, I can choose that location from the drop down menu.
    I've had the same problems with Mapopolis, and tried all the same solutions to no avail.
    Mapopolis works great on my 650 and worked great on my 600 both with a gps and without. I load all my maps on the card.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin3
    Mapopolis works great on my 650 and worked great on my 600 both with a gps and without. I load all my maps on the card.
    Makes no difference to mine. I even tried one single map in RAM. It just will not 'Navigate' successfully more than at most 20% of the time. Pretty poor...
    Tom Tom works great for me in the UK. Not perfect as it does give the occasional reset, but if it does it always works the next time. Recommended.
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Holux GPSlim236 GPS BT receiver & Tom Tom v5.201
    If you can get in touch with someone who has TomTom (or go see a TomTom Go in a store), do it. It's an incredible software package.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magohn
    From previous thread hunting this is what I have tried:
    Deleted all maps save for one that I store in RAM
    Assured 12+ megs of available free memory on the treo
    Deleted Butler
    Deleted VolumeCare
    Deleted Phone Technician
    Jebus, anything that would make me unistall those apps and keep 12 mb free is something i dont want. Glad i saw this, i'll go with TomTom.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magohn
    No problem. I have calmed down a little today
    It was frustrating because we just moved to Seattle from San Fran and I really have a bad sense of direction, hence the purchase of Mapopolis. So there I am on the other side of the county relying on the Mapopolis GPS to get me to my new home. At one point it took me 20 mins to get the 'Navigation' to generate a route without resetting. All the time sat at the side of a busy highway watching reset after reset.
    Today I'm calmer and back to tinkering with settings to get the thing to work. It just 'irks' me that software as buggy as this can be sold as a final product.
    WELCOME to SEATTLE!
    (tip: stay out of Pioneer Square)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    Jebus, anything that would make me unistall those apps and keep 12 mb free is something i dont want. Glad i saw this, i'll go with TomTom.
    Because at least some of those apps are required to make the Treo useable as a phone.
    dbcache...

TomTom works fine on a 650. Until dbcache starts running low. Never knew what the problem was (an occasional reset would always fix it) until I saw info on the dbcache tool in threads here. That's when I realized what the problem was. It doesn't fully solve the problem, as even with the tool dbcache eventually fills - but it definitely helps.

Search for the tool and see if it helps you figure out what's going on.

By the way, TT with a Seido G2500 (forget the actual model #, it came with a wired GPS receiver) seems to me an exceptional setup. I plop the 650 in the Seido cradle when I hop in the car, and it connects instantly (since it's wired and always powered the GPS always has a lock). As other have said though, TT does come with a POI db that leaves a little to be desired....
    I've had no problems with Mapopolis.
    I run all my maps off the SD card.
    I do not have any of the other apps listed.