1.    #1  
    This has got to be one of the weirdest resets I've had. I use Zlauncher 5.31 as my default launcher. I also had chatter ver 1.1.3.b7 installed. In chatter prefs I have the start chatter at reset and turn radio on at reset...

Well I today I was experiencing the dreaded out of coverage reset loop on my 650. The Treo was out of coverage and whenever it tried to connect to the network, it either reset or WSOD (white screen of death) appeared. If reset, the Treo would automatically try to conenct again as I had the turn radio on setup as previously mentioned in chatter prefs, and the Treo would boot up, try to connect and reset again! Anyway, the only way out of this was to perform a warm reset to end the loop and prevent the radio from turning on on reset. I checked the error dialog and it stated Chatter as the culprit...

Anyway, day went along and I turned the radio back b/c I had to make a call and the resets seemed to stop. Of course, the Treo went out of coverage and the reset loops began again! However, this time when I performed the warm reset, the default PalmOS laucher appeared instead of Zlauncher. I checked the reset diag, and again it listed chatter. I tried to find the zlauncher prc in the categories, but it could not be found! I doube checked with filez, and confirmed it! The main zlauncehr prc was missing? All the rest of prefs, plugins etc were there, but the main app was gone...

Anyway, I was happily able to restore from SD backup, so no harm done, and quickly updated to the latest 1.1.3.b8 beta. So far, it seems more stable. Hopefully it won't eat my zlauncher this time though...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I've never seen a reset loop problem related to coverage (I'm not aware of ANY reset loop issues at this point). And Chatter can't have eaten ZLauncher; it sounds like ZLauncher got corrupt, somehow.

Marc
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    I've never seen a reset loop problem related to coverage (I'm not aware of ANY reset loop issues at this point). And Chatter can't have eaten ZLauncher; it sounds like ZLauncher got corrupt, somehow.

Marc

Really?!! Am I the only one? I really doubt this. I think this might be a Sprint specific problem perhaps, but my 650 almost ALWAYS goes into reset hell when out of coverage and trying to make a data connection. I have the disable when roaming option selected in chatter prefs, so I doubt that is the reason though. But unfortnately this feature does not work on reset if you have chatter set to automatically start...

Marc, is there a possibility where Chatter could have a pref setting to check if roaming before automatically starting upon reset, and if roaming, then NOT to start chatter? I think that would fix my particular problem...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    gfunkmagic - I don't have ANY reports of this behavior with Sprint phones (and I've never seen it on my own). Now that doesn't mean it's not happening, but it must be pretty darned uncommon.

What is the error message in the phone app when these resets happen? What other apps are you running?

Marc
  5.    #5  
    The error message is chatter mostly via #377 dialog report. And it alway happens when the Treo is out of converage. I've always assumed it was a bug due to the Treo's networks search when out of coverage. Whenever I disable chatter start on reset etc, then the reset loop stops.

I don't have that many other apps running besides treoguard, butler etc. I don't keep verichat's backround connection active either, so I doubt there could be a conflict there...

I've had some similar experiences with Chatter 1.1.3b7 and ZLauncher 5.31.

I take the train to work in the morning and only experience the resets when I am in Chatter and I lose the signal/connection -- usually when we go through a tunnel or something. I am using a GSM handset using Vodafone UK service.

The Treo still freezes, WSODs or resets, so I've had to change the Chatter prefs so that "Start Chatter at reset" and "Turn on Radio at rest" are off otherwise I get stuck in a reset/try to connect loop.

With these two options off, I freeze/WSOD when my connection drops, but a reset with the stylist gets me up & running again. I now use Chatter 1.1.3b8, but still keep the 2 options off.
    Ditto to everything you said except I use a Verizonized 650 and am in NY.

Quote Originally Posted by MediaMgl
    I've had some similar experiences with Chatter 1.1.3b7 and ZLauncher 5.31.

I take the train to work in the morning and only experience the resets when I am in Chatter and I lose the signal/connection -- usually when we go through a tunnel or something. I am using a GSM handset using Vodafone UK service.

The Treo still freezes, WSODs or resets, so I've had to change the Chatter prefs so that "Start Chatter at reset" and "Turn on Radio at rest" are off otherwise I get stuck in a reset/try to connect loop.

With these two options off, I freeze/WSOD when my connection drops, but a reset with the stylist gets me up & running again. I now use Chatter 1.1.3b8, but still keep the 2 options off.