Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    hey! alright, well, thanks SO much for all your support and in most cases exuberance over the development of SharkMsg! It's up, and you can get it here: http://www.ludustech.com/sharkmsg/

I've set up a whole comments system there letting you give us feedback, and I'd really appreciate it if you used that as a central base for posting comments and feature ideas.

oh, and if you didn't already know, here's the background behind SharkMsg:

In the beginning Microsoft's Senior VP Mr. Knook said that Palm had tried but had been unable to implement an SMS Ignore feature in their Treo 650 on PalmOS, but that M$ had been able to do it on the 700w. Jeff Kirvin thought this was crazy, and he asked me what I thought. I was able to do it, but more importantly it's WITH PALM'S OWN SDK! Anyway, I'm releasing it to the Palm community as freeware, and we're going to make it better!

cheers, Tyler

ps: i'm very sorry for triple posting this on TreoCentral, Brighthand, and 1src, but many people wrote in to ask about the release date and I just can't respond to all of you so i'm posting on the three big forums!
    It looks really cool, but the 5 way navigation on the drop down list doesn't work for the first selection. I have to put my finger on the screen to select the drop down. Then it is fine. Keep up the good work.

Al
    I found something really interesting while testing this app. I called myself from my home landline and I sent a text message with SharkMsg using my Sprint Treo 650. And guess what? My home land phone rang and it read me my text message. Really cool...!!! It says it is a Sprint service called Text to landline and they charge 10 cents per message. I wonder if it is part of the text messaging package.

Al
    I'm really excited for this release. What a cool idea for an app!

1. How does it effect the imcoming call screen? For example, does it effect picture caller ID? Does it effect apps like "Area Codes?"

2. I guess you'd have to know the person calling you was doing so from a cell phone to make this work (unless you have Sprint per: the above post) Not sure if other carrier's have the text to voice feature. What happens if you send the SMS to a non-cell phone? Obviously the caller gets no SMS but do they get sent to the voicemail system?
    How does one download this app? I tried the link from Blazer and did not see any way to download it ...
    now you will see why I wanted to Beta test this product. it would be nice to have SharkMSG send an automated response to certain phone number, i.e. if I get a call from 555 555 5555 and I do not answer the call then the caller will receive an SMS AND is sent to VM. in my line of work I see that as taking the extra mile to let the caller know that you have received their message and you will call them back.
    Treoing & Loving it
    So gt51, if you have SharkMSG send the SMS the caller is NOT forwarded to voicemail?

What do they hear on the other end in that case?
    No my friend, they are sent to VM. it would be even better ig this could be tied to cal events, i.e. if you have a meeting scheduled, then automatically all calls received during the meeting are sent to VM (treoguard does that so it can be done) AND receive SMS stating you are in a meeting. This IMO should be a "smartphone" feature.
    Treoing & Loving it
  9.    #10  
    Alright, thanks guys. Let's start a list then of things to fix/add:

1) Five Way drop down support
    2) Auto choose the last Msg you sent in the dropdown
    3) Option to only send messages to certain area codes (e.g. i live in NYC, so i would limit it to only 646 and 917 numbers)
    4) don't pop up Send SMS? form if the number is No Caller ID

anything else?

cheers, tyler
    any way to include variables in your message so that the caller's first name for example from your contact list (if they existed in contacts) could dynamically be substituted?

So instead of "Hello I am on a call." they would get "Hello Joe I am on a call".
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    now you will see why I wanted to Beta test this product. it would be nice to have SharkMSG send an automated response to certain phone number, i.e. if I get a call from 555 555 5555 and I do not answer the call then the caller will receive an SMS AND is sent to VM. in my line of work I see that as taking the extra mile to let the caller know that you have received their message and you will call them back.
    I beta tested sharkmsg and that is EXACTLY what i suggested to the developer. I cant use it if it does not automatically send the SMS. I could type a 5 word SMS just as quick. I would love the app if it sent the message automatically and by phone number.
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkboy717
    Alright, thanks guys. Let's start a list then of things to fix/add:

1) Five Way drop down support
    2) Auto choose the last Msg you sent in the dropdown
    3) Option to only send messages to certain area codes (e.g. i live in NYC, so i would limit it to only 646 and 917 numbers)
    4) don't pop up Send SMS? form if the number is No Caller ID

anything else?

cheers, tyler
    Tyler:

GREAT APP!!!

1. How about having SharkMsg put an asterick * in the call-log entries so you know which calls were the ones you sent SMS messages to and need to return, when for example, you get out of a long meeting and you have several messages to return.

2. Ability in edit mode to move pre-selected messages up or down in the list.

Thanks,

Dave
    Sharkboy,
    what am I chopped liver, my suggestions are not good enough to condsider
    Treoing & Loving it
    one other thing, shark- I cannot send an sms to someone if I am on a call and see their call comming in.. .Is it just me or is this happening to anyone else?
    does voicemail need to be disbaled? I tried it from my office line, I clicked ignore when the treo rang, then the options came up. But in the meantime while the sms was sending, my voicemail came on. My offive never rang back like treolo's...
    thanks
    this app doesnt work on my treo 650 - enabled - nothing happens
    Fred
    Cingular 680
  17.    #18  
    hey gt5l! No, i love your ideas but they are coming soon, just not in the next version! they require more work, and i have to map out the UI etc...

dcopperfield- i'll look into that thanks
    onmymarc- no, voicemail and SM work separately of each other

fkjr- you have to get a call and tap Ignore, then things will happen

cheers, tyler
  18.    #19  
    alright... if you want to discuss SharkMsg with me live tonight i'll be in the 1src chat and i will be taking ANY and ALL suggestions! http://www.1src.com/chat/ starting at 8pm EST

regards, tyler
    is the current version free? (i think it is I changed the date on my treo to 2006 and the app remained active) Will future version be shareware (like butler) or donationware (like directory assistant) or registration required for the app to work after trial period? how much will it be?
    Treoing & Loving it
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast