1.    #1  
    Just bought a 2 GB Patriot brand SD card for my Treo 650 for movies and such. I tried to format it in the Card Info application and every time it asks for me to input the new name of the card, it gives me an error saying "Invalid Volume Name".

I've tried keeping the name simple, and I've tried no name at all. I've also tried giving a name of 8 charachters or more to see if that was the issue. I just can't seem to format this card. Anyone have ideas?

If i format it via computer, do i format it as a FAT file system? I have a Mac and that is the only computer I can format with...

Thanks.

Update....

Tried putting my SD card into my Mac via my Epson R300 printer which has a memory slot (this is how I normally get photos and movies into my computer and it works fine). Anyway, the printer did not recognize the SD card- meaning it didn't even get as far as the computer to ask me to initialize it. It did not even know a disk was inserted. I'll try a different card reader but in the meantime, any other suggestions?
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Try a different card????
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    I believe that the TREO only recognizes FAT and NOT FAT16, so you have to format it using just FAT. Some newer products may not recognize the older FAT format. Hope this helps. God Bless.
  4.    #4  
    I have tried other cards and they work fine. Never have used this brand before though. I can't even get my computer to recognize it so don't worry about the FAT controversey. The Treo recognizes it but will not let me format, it gives me that error. C'mon, someone else must have seen that error before....
    search in this forum for "format" and "DOS" and hopefully that will cure your problem. it fixed mine!
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
  6.    #6  
    Another card reader was the key, thanks. I found my wife's digital camera that uses SD cards and hooked it up to the Mac with that via the USB cable. After formatting with Disk Utilities, everything worked fine on the Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by car_designer
    search in this forum for "format" and "DOS" and hopefully that will cure your problem. it fixed mine!
    I can format on my PC to FAT, but it says 890MB is used when there is nothing on the Card. It is a 2GB card. I cannot format in the 650.

Where is this thread? I couldnot find it. Please paste a link here
    when I used the query string:
    format dos
    in the search function I got these results:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/searc...archid=2908940

The second link (first one is this thread) is the one you want.
    Read all 3 pages+

Hope this helps
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
    I thought I could use my Treo650 without linking it/downloading cd rom on corrollary pc/laptop.
    Can I? I have a 1 gig sd card. Now I've read I have to "format" it. I also read I need BackUpBuddy to get data on card. What else will I need? Alltogether. I also bought a card reader not knowing I needed softWhere. Where do I install Which software to? How much shoul I expect to spend? And all the incompatibility issues if I use a mac powerbook as planned, seem momentous. The address sync thread was ominous! Thanks & Sorry for the sheer newbity of me.
    Last edited by lyrigal; 11/03/2005 at 04:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lyrigal
    I thought I could use my Treo650 without linking it/downloading cd rom on corrollary pc/laptop.
    Can I? I have a 1 gig sd card. Now I've read I have to "format" it. I also read I need BackUpBuddy to get data on card. What else will I need? Alltogether. I also bought a card reader not knowing I needed softWhere. Where do I install Which software to? How much shoul I expect to spend? And all the incompatibility issues if I use a mac powerbook as planned, seem momentous. The address sync thread was ominous! Thanks & Sorry for the sheer newbity of me.
    You're kidding right???

You should probably return the Treo 650 and get a regular phone, or hire someone to assist you locally. Otherwise, I'd suggest doing a lot of reading in the manual for the Treo 650 and the internet. Good Luck..