Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I go online with my Sprint Treo 650 all the time, and I use FTP on my home PC all the time. So how come none of the Palm FTP clients I tried can connect to my server?

Currently I'm trying VFSFTP+ (bought it tonight from Palmgear) and once again I can't get in.

Also tried EZFTP, etc. ... logic tells me if they ALL don't work than the problem must be on my server end ... but try getting Yahoo Web Hosting support to admit that it's anything other than a software problem on my end...
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Okay, here's an update on my own situation... I can successfully connect to other FTP hosts, just not to my main host (Yahoo Small Business). Is anyone here connecting to YSB - FTP on a Treo? The error message says "server did not respond in time" so I think that's BEFORE it gets to the login aspects.

I tried asking Yahoo's tech support but that proved to be a waste of my time. Their response is, "our server works, and we can't replicate your problem"... gee thanks... morons.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeelp! Please, anyone...
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Hmm, it's very disappointing that no one replied to my post.

Aren't there other Treo owners who do more with the online access than just email and web? Where are all the advanced FTP'ers who can (please) help me?
    I know plenty about FTP, and have used it several times from the Treo, but know nothing about YSB-FTP. How do they have you connecting? IP? Hostname? Special port?

Based on your error, it does sound like it is pre-authentication, so odds are it cannot find the server.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Hi, glad my appeal finally got some attention.

They connect with a hostname. my domain is snarc.net, so the hostname is just "ftp.snarc.net". It uses port 21 along with your username and password.

I use the exact same settings on my PC and it works fine.

It's hard to imagine that YSB specifically configured their server NOT to accept non-PC clients. I mean, how would they even know; FTP is FTP, right?

Unfortunately, as I said, Yahoo refuses to help me since their moronic support staff insists the server works fine.
    I tried that host using vfsftp and I get "Password problem". Obviously, I did not enter a username or password since I don't have one, but it seems I am connecting to the server. I did nothing special, jsut added the ftp server you specified. If you can create a test account, I would be happy to see if I can get all the way in, but that's up to you.
    - Albert Einstein
    Have you tried switching on (or off) Passive FTP ?
    Last edited by Ettore; 10/17/2005 at 11:23 AM.
    Ciao

Ettore
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettore
    Have you tried switching on (or off) Passive FTP ?
    I'm not the one having the problem....
    - Albert Einstein