1.    #1  
    Hi Folks,

I'm trying to clear up room and am wondering what some of these programs are when i go into app info. they don't seem to relate to any programs i have:

bf_bfm reference
    bf_sample
    car batteries
    kblodb
    hsadvcalcdb
    libmal (120k)
    mobile link

what are all these things? i don't have any software with the initials bf or kb or hs. or car software. wth?

how can i tell what is safe to delete and what is not?

thanks.

mc.
    Mensachicken:

Libmal and Mobile Link are for programs which update via the web, like AvantGo or ePocrates. If you don't have either of these programs or a similar one still installed, you can delete libmal and Mobile Link. HSAdvCalcDB is a database file for the advanced calculator built in to OS 3.1H; you wouldn't want to delete that (if you even can).

Don't know about the others.

Tom
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek
  3.    #3  
    Thanks Tom,

but this leads me to another question... is there an app out there or a way in the os to actually find out what these things are? like, i don't understand why i can't launch from the info screen. would make a lot of sense to me.

thanks though,

mc.

Originally posted by Tom LaPrise
    Mensachicken:

Libmal and Mobile Link are for programs which update via the web, like AvantGo or ePocrates. If you don't have either of these programs or a similar one still installed, you can delete libmal and Mobile Link. HSAdvCalcDB is a database file for the advanced calculator built in to OS 3.1H; you wouldn't want to delete that (if you even can).

Don't know about the others.

Tom
    I fear that there is no easy way to tell what belongs to what. That's why programs like InstallWatch
    http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...10&prodID=6423
    and DBCleaner
    http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...10&prodID=4737
    were made.

Unfortunately, items like Libmal, Location, and Mathlib are "program library modules" which might be used by several programs. Unlike Palm Databases, they do not belong to any specific program. If you delete them, any program that uses them will suddenly stop working.

Why do library modules exist? Well, for instance, MathLib allows a program to do floating point and trigometric calculations. The idea is that it is silly for several programs to incoporate the same floating point sections when the programs can instead share the floating point sections. Especially in the limited memory of a Visor.
    <pre> ^<br> /_\ WINCHELL CHUNG Nyrath the nearly wise at the Praeternatural Tower<br> <(*)> nyrath@ProjectRho.com http://www.ProjectRho.com/home.html<br>/_/|\_\ ABSIT INVIDIA VERBO IDEM SONANS<br> //|\\ -------------------------------------------------------------------<br>SURREAL SAGE SEZ: I'm nobody. Nobody at all. But the secrets of the<br>universe don't mind. They reveal themselves to nobodies who care.<br></pre>
    Originally posted by mensachicken
    I'm trying to clear up room and am wondering what some of these programs are when i go into app info. they don't seem to relate to any programs i have:

bf_bfm reference
    bf_sample

bf_ are Brain Forest outline files.

Ben
    Thanks for the brainforest info! i deleted that program and it left its little buddies behind.

and thanks to the previous poster for the link to inwatch, which works great!

mc.
    menschicken said:

"but this leads me to another question... is there an app out there or a way in the os to actually find out what these things are? like, i don't understand why i can't launch from the info screen. would make a lot of sense to me."

Try a nifty freebie program named filez. You can find it on the PalmGear website. Very useful and informative.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Try a program called "Inwatch" from http://www.stacworks.com.

It allows you to track software installation and the associated data files that each creates.

Small fee to register after you try it but it allows you to keep track of exactly what files are on your device, and delete them completely if you want. The normal delete function does not always get rid of misc. data files.