Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can anyone explain the difference between these two products offered here?

http://store.treocentral.com/content...10-41--422.htm
    http://store.treocentral.com/content...10-41--377.htm

The Palm bundle seems to offer all the same features plus it comes with a mount and its $40 cheaper.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    For one thing, the GPS receiver in the more expensive bundle uses SiRF star III. This is the current state of art. It's not clear what the Palm GPS receiver uses. There may be additional info somewhere but it's not well documented in this bundle description. The palm unit may not track quite as well or have as long battery life. That may not be important to you if you plan to use it mostly in your car. You might try the following to see some other options...

Select your bundle
    Last edited by jrfaris; 10/14/2005 at 08:39 PM.
    I have no idea how it compares, but I did just get my TomTom Navigator5 with their MkII bluetooth receiver and I am beyond pleased. The software, regardless of the receiver, is amazingly well thought out. It operates well with just a thumb. I initally had trouble installing it, but its very simple. Don't go too fast, however TomTom could do much better.

Install what comes in the box. Program, extra voices, and a map. Send them all to the SD card. Hotsync, with a map on the first try. Takes a while. Remove the SD card and reinsert. Pair the receiver using the trusted devices button and 0000 as a password. Your there. Run the Navigator program and activate it.

THEN download the 5.12 update and hotsync it to the card.

Driving down the road in 3d mode similar to a video game is kinda different but I like it. If you have trouble getting it working. Delete both CN and Start from the Palm and the backup directory on the PC. Delete all TOMTOM folders on the SD card and do it again.

This is where having my Sandisk Ultra II SD /USB card is handy. You can install additional maps straight to the card. Just follow the example from the maps already installed.

Derek
  4.    #4  
    Ive heard both good and bad things about TomTom, but the Palm unit is attractive based on the price. If anyone else has any info on this it would be great.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    Ive heard both good and bad things about TomTom, but the Palm unit is attractive based on the price. If anyone else has any info on this it would be great.
    See review/comparison over at Treonauts.com.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaharr
    See review/comparison over at Treonauts.com.
    Thanks. After reading their review im a little confused by their conclusion. Even though the Palm branded version is cheaper and comes with way more peripherals they still opt for the TomTom package because it has the "more advanced SiRF star III chipset," is this really that much better? I mean the palm unit is $40 cheaper, comes with chargers for everything and a mount for the treo.

Anyone have experience with either (or both) SiRF star II and/or star III chipset devices?
    I have the Tomtom Mk II which is SiRF III and it works well. Much better in tracking and establishing a fix than a cheap USB unit I tried a few years ago for my notebook. It seems to me that the problem is Palm does not provide any specs for it's GPS unit. Without specs or knowing who makes it, it's hard to compare it to anything. There are quite a few cheap GPS receivers out there that are of marginal quality.
  8.    #8  
    IT appears that this is the Bluetooth GPS unit they are using in their kit.

http://www.holux.com.tw/Temp%20web/GR-230.html

It uses the SiRF Star IIe/LP chipset. I guess I will have to read up on the differences between the two chipsets.
  9.    #9  
    Hmmmm, based on the comparisons here and here it looks like the SiRFstar III chipset may be worth it if you use the unit in an urban environment.
    I recommend that you purchase this bundle:

http://www.semsons.com/tona20usawig.html

For $230 you get the Navigator 5 software, the BT-338 GPS, a vent mount for your Treo, and two charging cables for the GPS unit. I have this set up and it works great.
    Quote Originally Posted by pokada

For $230 you get the Navigator 5 software, the BT-338 GPS, a vent mount for your Treo, and two charging cables for the GPS unit. I have this set up and it works great.
    Yeah, this is the exact setup I have and works extremely well until my Treo broke the other day. BT-338 uses the same technology as the Tomtom unit, but has longer battery life. It simply rocks.
  12.    #12  
    Wow, that looks great. Thanks for the help.
    Wow, that looks great. Thanks for the help.
    You're welcome.

I use this set up for driving and find that it works very well.

When I play golf, I use Intelligolf and the BT-338. As far as I can tell, my distances are accurate to a yard or so. If only my irons were that accurate!

Enjoy,

Paul
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by pokada

Anyone ever tried the optional Arkon CM700 Powered GPS Ready Mount which you can get at a discounted price with this package?
    Quote Originally Posted by bestoverall
    Yeah, this is the exact setup I have and works extremely well until my Treo broke the other day. BT-338 uses the same technology as the Tomtom unit, but has longer battery life. It simply rocks.
    I was wondering if folks preferred the vent mount or the window mount better? Or is this one of those things where YMMV absed on your car setup?

Also how much RAM space is required by TomTom? I plan to run everything that I can from the SD card.
    Last edited by krock; 11/22/2005 at 12:54 PM.
    yep.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by krock
    I was wondering if folks preferred the vent mount or the window mount better? Or is this one of those things where YMMV absed on your car setup?
    It varies depending on the car, but I think the window mount is worth the extra $5.
    Thanks. After reading their review im a little confused by their conclusion. Even though the Palm branded version is cheaper and comes with way more peripherals they still opt for the TomTom package because it has the "more advanced SiRF star III chipset," is this really that much better? I mean the palm unit is $40 cheaper, comes with chargers for everything and a mount for the treo.

Anyone have experience with either (or both) SiRF star II and/or star III chipset devices?
    the Palm version is now available at the Palm.com site for 20% off. Total now is $199.

Given this NEW price, would you choose this one? Anyone tried it and can compare?
    Quote Originally Posted by murph71
    the Palm version is now available at the Palm.com site for 20% off. Total now is $199.

Given this NEW price, would you choose this one? Anyone tried it and can compare?
    There's a fairly big difference in Performance between the old SIRF II Chipset that the Palm unit has and the latest SIRF III that most other recent models have. Personally, I would not spend that much money on somethign with SIRF II.

For $10-$20 more you can get a SIRF III B/T bundle at Semsons
    http://www.semsons.com/tombungpspac.html

and if you are going to be using it in your car, check out the latest custom cradles (w/built in GPS + TomTom) that Seidio is offering (G4850 and G2350)
    www.seidioonline.com

Treocentral just did a review on them and a couple of us that have them have posted our comments in a couple threads over here.

-Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by qwalls
    It varies depending on the car, but I think the window mount is worth the extra $5.
    I actually prefer the vent mount over the suction mount. I have had 4 different mounts; 2 suction mounts, and 2 vent mounts. The problem with suction mounts is that at some point in time, they will eventually fall off the windshield and possibly damage your Treo. It actually happened to me a couple of times and as a result, I have some scratches on my Treo. It also tends to attract unwanted attention being very noticeable from outside.

Best Buy has a vent mount that was designed for iPod that works extremely well with Treo, and only costs about $10 to $13. I don't recall the brand, but if you do a search, I'm sure you can find one.
    Arkon is also good for a vent mount solution.

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast