Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I bought one and I love it.

This headset comes with a bunch of cool accessories. It has a AA battery charger, charging adapters to work with Motorola, Nokia, Siemens, and other phone chargers. It has a nice metal case, three ear bud sizes, and a few other misc accessories.

The headset does like 10 hours of talk time, connects really quickly with my Treo 650 and works flawlessly. The headset is comfortable, I don't even know its in my ear. Its really small and unobtrusive. I love it.
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    A few questions:

- Can you just use the ear bud or is ther an ear hook as well?
    - Do all the Treo functions work with it?
    - Where did you get it...it seems to be out of stock everywhere.

Thanks
    Compusa has them in my local area. I just bought a HBH-610. If I woulda known compusa had them, I would have tried it first!!

Hows the call quality? Any echo'ing? Does it have noise cancelling?
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    I bought a Discovery 640 yesterday at Comp USA. The design is great but the sound quality on calls while outside last night was not good. Lots of static and people on the other end said the sound was cutting in and out and I had to repeat myself a lot. I am hoping this was just a fluke as I really like the design. If not, I'll stick with the Treo bluetooth headset or maybe try a HBH 662.
    eharty,
    When you say outside, were you outdoors with wind blowing? Was the phone and the 640 on the same side of your body? Bluetooth does not work well when the signal needs to pass through your body. A low signal strength will cause static.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Ok I just bought the Plantronics Discovery 640 also from CompUsa, a little pricey but may be well worth it and I have to say so far this MIGHT be my favorite bluetooth headset. My current favorite is the Plantronics Voyager 510 which is about 1/2 the cost of the Discovery 640, but I have to admit that the 640 is lighter and fits so well for me it is like I am not wearing an ear piece. I am actually using the Ear Hook that comes with it. So far I like it, I will have to try it out the next few days outside, in the mall, the car, etc. to see how other people hear me and how I hear them. To me it seems that Plantronics makes some of the best headsets. I too get the static if the Treo and the headset are not in line with each other on the same side of my body, but that is normal and the many other bluetooth headsets that I have tried have static too when they are cross from each other instead of in-line on the same side. I will give another report on my experience with the Plantronics Discovery 640 in the next few days. God Bless.
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    oxoxtro600,

I was outside walking the dogs but there was very little wind. I had the T650 on my belt and my arm was probably getting in the line of sight between the two devices. I have been more careful with it today and the amount of static was much less although not as little as with the Palm BT headset. I was working today and had it on about 7 hours straight and it is VERY comfortable.

Are all phones/BT headsets prone to static like this or is this a T650 thing?
    My HBH-610 has very little if any static.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eharty
    oxoxtro600,

I was outside walking the dogs but there was very little wind. I had the T650 on my belt and my arm was probably getting in the line of sight between the two devices. I have been more careful with it today and the amount of static was much less although not as little as with the Palm BT headset. I was working today and had it on about 7 hours straight and it is VERY comfortable.

Are all phones/BT headsets prone to static like this or is this a T650 thing?

In my experience ALL bluetooth headsets and Phones are prone to static. I forgot that class and trasmitting power we have on these things but it is very very low, so the advertised range of 30 feet is probably in labratory conditions, true conditions are probably 10 feet or less. Also I think it is part of the Treo's fault, I have used other Bluetooth phones with the same headsets as the Treo 650 and I get a few feet more range with the other phones a maybe just a tad less static. God Bless.
    eharty,
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking of purchasing the 640 to use in my car during long business trips. Several states that I travel through have laws against cell phone use while driving, but accept a handsfree approach.
    jdeluna,
    I did a BT range study using GPS units. I found that all would work up to 30 -35 feet away direct line of sight. If you put the BT GPS on your back hip, It would not be picked up by the Treo650 being held in your hand in front of you. BT radio waves bounce off of walls, etc, so indoors or inside a car the direct line of sight is not as critical for performance. Also, I suspect that the BT radio signal strength of BT headsets are weaker than other BT devices such as GPS.
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by onegee
    My HBH-610 has very little if any static.
    Onegee,

I have not seen any discussions/reviews of the HBH 610. No static would be welcome. Do all the functions of the Treo work with the 610?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by onegee
    Hows the call quality? Any echo'ing? Does it have noise cancelling?

This question still seems up in the air. Plantronics slick ware does not mention any thing specific about this for the 640. Though it is heavily mentioned in the 510 info.

Noise cancelling is extremely important to me. Which is why I tried the BT800 for my non treo BT phones. Then I have the HBH662 (NC is via circuitry) and the Logitech Mobile Freedom (via mechanical design) for the treo.

Any 640 users care to comment after a few days/weeks of using in windy/noise environments?
    I bought the Plantronics Discovery 640 from CompUSA yesterday and found it to have to much static with my Sprint Treo 650 so I returned it today. On the return slip, for the reason I was returning it, I put "Snap, Crackles and Pops!", which the sales clerk thought was cute!

I have had a Logitech Mobile Freedom for the last two months which has great reception, but the behind the ear loop is terrible and with such a large foam ear pad, it feels like it's constantly going to fall off and never feels like it fits good.

I looked at the Bluespoon AX at CompUSA, but after a short bit of Internet research there, it sounded as if it had the same sort of static problem I just experienced with the Plantronics Discovery 640.

What I want is the smallest, lightweight, best reception and best fitting BT headset available. Cost is not a factor. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patord
    This question still seems up in the air. Plantronics slick ware does not mention any thing specific about this for the 640. Though it is heavily mentioned in the 510 info.

Noise cancelling is extremely important to me. Which is why I tried the BT800 for my non treo BT phones. Then I have the HBH662 (NC is via circuitry) and the Logitech Mobile Freedom (via mechanical design) for the treo.

Any 640 users care to comment after a few days/weeks of using in windy/noise environments?
    I have only had the 640 a few days but I have made calls while walking down a busy street with a lot of truck traffic. The person I was talking with could hear the noise in the background but it was at a reduced level and did not interfere with them understanding what I was saying. I have also had comments that they could hear wind but it was not too bad.

The bigger question for me at this time is about static. Yesterday, the static was very annoying but today there was virtually none. This was using the 640 in basically the same spot each day. I have not had enough experience with BT headsets to know if this is typical variable performance.
    I should add that the static issue was not that bad if I held my Treo 650 to within 1 to 1.5 feet of the 640 headset. However, if I put it in my horizontal belt case, with the BT headset in the ear on the same side of my body, or if I held the Treo 650 behind my back, the static really picks up.

For me, I need CLEAR reception. Period!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eharty
    Onegee,

I have not seen any discussions/reviews of the HBH 610. No static would be welcome. Do all the functions of the Treo work with the 610?
    Thanks

I did a review a few posts down.
    There are a lot of BT headsets out there. One headset recommended by many may have static or fitment issues with someone else. Maybe its the Treo, or the headset, or the environment.

You all will probably end up doing what I did... which is unforunate, but end up buying and trying several different headsets to see which ones:
    1. best fit the characteristics of your ears
    2. have minimal connection issues between the headset and the treo in your operating environments
    3. have clarity such that your listeners can hear you well enough

It's just like anything else in our free market society, lots of choices, quality of implementation, and design compromises. BT headsets are no exception it seems.

Good luck.

For the record, I have tried almost a dozen different headsets. The two I settled on, have varying opinions on this forum... but they met my personal requirements: Logitech Mobile Freedom and the HBH662. As for the static, I have never had static issues with any of the headsets I've tested/used. So I am at a loss for that.
  18.    #18  
    Mine doesn't have a static problem. If I leave the Treo 650 in my holster on my right side and use the headset on my right ear, there is no static. If I move the Treo to my left side and use the headset on my right ear I get static.

I usually just leave my Treo in my pocket and it works fine. I also have a car holder mount which I use with my Treo and it works good there too.

The Discovery is in stock at Plantronics.com. There is a third party company that actually does the distribution for them, but you can order it from the plantronics web site. I ordered two and they have them in stock. I got a discount $129 on the 2nd headset because I was a repeat customer.

The headset does come with a clip for your ear but I can't vouch for it because I never use it. The headset sits firmly in my ear without it so I have no need for it. The headset comes with three inner ear gels, one small, one medium and one large so it should fit in most people's ears without that ear clip.
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joshkerr
    Mine doesn't have a static problem. If I leave the Treo 650 in my holster on my right side and use the headset on my right ear, there is no static. If I move the Treo to my left side and use the headset on my right ear I get static.

I usually just leave my Treo in my pocket and it works fine. I also have a car holder mount which I use with my Treo and it works good there too.

I am glad the Discovery works for you because it is a great design. I just spoke with a tech at Plantronics and he said that the Discovery has a floating filament BT antenna and it is likely that the Treo does as well. This can make for spotty performance. The tech recommended the Voyager 510 as it uses a larger BT antenna.
    I have not been able to pair the Plantronic's discovery 640 with my treo 650. Any suggestion? Also, I have noticed that the headset does not fit snug into it's carrying pocket and as a result charging is intermittent.
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast