Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Thanks for the input. :-) Anyone else have any thoughts?

Steve
    i dont like my 640 although it is a little better now that i put Jabra Ear Jel on. I would stay away from the 640. I am considerni the 662 from sony.
    What don't you like about the 640?
    low volume (worse than the Jabra 250)
    ear jel keeps falling off in my pocket
    static
    people complain that they cannot hear me clearly especailly in a moving car (windows closed)
    does not connect to the 650 fast enough (3 rings or more) or reliably (sometime not at all).
    Complained to Plantronics and they said too bad
    cannot return since i bought on a business trip at a local store (lesson learned).
    I can see how some of those might be any issue.

1. I disagree with the low volume. I actually find, with the right size ear gel on, the 640 is one of the louder BT headsets I've owned (I've owned a lot ) since it sits so far in the ear canal.

2. I don't carry the headset in my pocket but could see how keeping it there would cause the ear gel to come off. That would certainly be annoying.

3. Static is definetly an issue. I've said in other threads, the 640 needs to be in direct line of site with the Treo or there'll be static. I like to keep the Treo in my pocket while using my BT headset. This can't be done with the 640 without having static.

4. I haven't found a BT headset yet that connects fast to the Treo. They all have a delay.

Does the 640 have some issues? Sure. But all BT headsets do. The technology is just no where near perfected. Too many BT manufacturers and too many cell phone manufacturers.

I'm willing to put up with the shortfalls of the 640 mainly because of it's fit. It's the best fitting, most comfortable BT headset I've owned. Sometimes I forget it's even on my ear. I've had a tough time finding a BT headset which fit me properly. Some hurt my ear after prolonged use, others fell off my ear when bumped etc. The 640 fits great.
    ULTRA LIGHT!!!
    Good day all, here is my review after living with my Plantronics 640 for over a month. I LOVE IT!!! My first one had a manufacturing defect and the ear jels came out too easily. Company feedback was exceptional and I was sent a new one to exchange with the old one. I have found it extremely easy to hear with and to be heard with. The review left out some important info. The headset can be held in place with ear jels only or with an optional and included ear support, (wire coated). Due to extensive cervial (neck) spinal surgery, I am unable to wear the ear jels as the only means of support and I need to use the optional wire loop. (due to nerve damage from the surgery, I have extreme discomfort with anything that comes moderately deeply into the ear canals, such as ear buds, or even ear gels, which just go into the center of the ear, but not in the canal. The loop allows be to have the ear gel slightly out of contact with the out edge of the ear canal. The gel only route, allows you to hold the headset in place with your choice of three different size gels, which are also supplied. Since it weighs almost nothing, it can stay in place all day without a loop, if it is comfortable for you. The case has a mirror on the back to allow you to see if you have "implanted" it properly in your ear, until you get the hang of it, by rote. Even with using the wire loop, the sound is very clear. I should explain that comment a little. a. the ear gel only route, keeps the ear pece very close to the ear drum, making easier to hear. b. the wire loop, keeps the headset slightly further out of the ear. However, on some people, (this matters as ears are totally unique in fact, the FBI, is working on an ear "print" (photos or scans of the shape of ones ear), data base), the gel in the ear, actually, presses the ear slightly and blocks some incoming sound. (similar to lightly pressing your finger tip into your ear). I wonder how the sound quality would be rated by the reviewer, if tried with the wire support, as well as just with the gels. (while I have an unusal sensitivity to anything too deep in my ear, my entire family hears sound better if an ear "bud" or gel is not firmly in place. This may be the case for others. If so, you may which to try this to see if you hear better. I plug mine into the charger ever 3rd night and always use the "aaa" adapter. However, if you shut off the headset and place it in the "charger sleeve" with the "aaa" battery, it will last over two weeks of moderate use! It is my understanding is that we have to ask PALM, to pressure Plantronics to make and sell an adapter, which would actaully be sold by PALM and not Plantronics for the charger adpater. I also think I will remove the form fitting innards to the supplied case and make my own foam liner to accept gels in the size I like as well as, the charger, which I think is thin enough to fit into the case, when I get the change I will measure. Additional ear gels and wire loops are extremly inexpensive and easy to get online. Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Thanks for the valuable info thus far.

With regard to lgreenberg's comment about "3. Static is definetly an issue. I've said in other threads, the 640 needs to be in direct line of site with the Treo or there'll be static. I like to keep the Treo in my pocket while using my BT headset. This can't be done with the 640 without having static."

...Is this also a frequent problem with the 510? If the 510 has no/less static, I'll probably go with that one instead. Thanks again.

Steve
    I have not found a static problem at all, in fact I have the treo on my right hip and the plantronics 640 in my left ear. I have reversed it in the car without a problem. Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    My HBH-662 seems very soft (not loud, not using ear gel). Is the 640 better at volume? Also, between the two, which has better sound quality?
    I am sorry, I have not used the other, I can only tell you that the 640 is a dream to use!!! Take care, Jay
    An important feature overlooked in previous posts... MULTIPOINT PAIRING!!
    I carry a BlackBerry 7290 and a Treo 700 - different business needs and enterpise infrastructure. This Earset allows me to send/receive calls on both.

As to static... both the Treo 650 and 700 have weak antenna configs compared to my BlackBerry 7290. I can place the BlackBerry anywhere on my body, no static at all... but the 700... a whole other story. I can even walk about 30 feet away from my BlackBerry around the house... the 700, I can get about 7 feet away.

The design of the mics on these featherweight headsets and length require a "more open" mic config which picks up more ambient noise and wind. For adequate active noise cancelling one needs a boom with mic close to mouth.

One downside of this earset is that the audio is too readily heard by those nearby... making discrete phone calls moe difficult... this is due to lack of complete in-canal fitting and closed structure around speaker element. My Jabra BT250 actually does a better job of fitting in the canal... has less static on the 700, too...

But I LOVE this Plantronics 640 for its multipoint, featherweight, style, and charging options.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Can ANYONE who has had both the 540 and 610 compare the volume and how you sound to other people? Statis sounds like an issue with any earpiece so i am very concerned about how i would sound to others and how they sound to me.

thanks.
    I have had the 640 for a few days and yes the earpiece falls off in your pocket and is really annoying! The sound on my end is great and I love how it fits, but as usual the sound on the other end is bad. In my car with the windows rolled up the person on the other end said I sounded like I was under water. I am going to take this one back as well. I really wish I could find a good headset with the Treo 650.
    Cognetic,
    Same reason I am now using the 640 over any of the other manufacturers. The small shortcoming, if any, of the 640 has been more than made up by the Multipoint aspect.
    This is my 6th or 7th headset and this one is actually a pleasure to use.
    Scrote
    Last edited by scrote; 03/15/2006 at 09:12 AM.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I have been using the Voyager 510 for a few months (and am very happy with it), but thought I'd try the 640. Picked it up yesterday, inital thoughts are good, but I'll post back in a week after I've given it some real use.
    scrote,
    the multipoint feature is something I can no longer live without... no way I'm carrying two different earsets... It's so nice to be able to simply tap the button or remove from sheath to answer incoming calls from either my new BlackBerry 8700 or the 700W!!

Certainly, the Treo 700 and 650 BT range is very poor. As I noted in previous post, I have no problems with the earset and the BlackBerry devices. Even tried this 640 with a home phone that has BT.... range was incredible!! Not sure what Palm was thinking in their BT design for these Treos... I cannot even use the earset if the phone is on opposite side of my body!! It has been the same with each of the three 700ws I have had.... tested with my colleagues 650 and had the same result.

Again a big for the Plantronics 640 and multipoint pairing!!
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    510 vs 640 Round 1 (it hasn't been a week but I have some time to kill)

Static: The 510 has less static with the Treo 650 when the Treo is on the opposite side of the body. The 640 seems to work BETTER than the 510 when on the same side, however, which I thought was odd. Winner - TIE

Comfort: I have to use the earloop with the 640 to make it comfortable, but it is more comfortable this way than the 510. It's just so light that you don't notice it's there. Winner - 640

Volume: Seems comparable to the 510. The 510 is probably a smidge louder, but the 640 has been good enough so far. Winner - 510

Wind noise: The 640 is much, much, much better with wind noise than my (non wind-stop) 510. No contest here, winner is 640 by a landslide.

Convenience: I actually find the 5000 charging options of the 640 to be annoying. It might be different if they had a Treo adapter, but they don't so I'm still stuck with the AC adaptor. And unlike the 510, I can't plug it directly into the headset, I have to use the sleeve. But we have the option of the AAA battery with the 640, which makes this one a TIE.

Other random thoughts: 510 is more pocketable since you don't have to worry about losing the eargel. The buttons are better on the 640. The 640 seems to work with my two phones a little better than the 510 did, though there isn't a whole lot of difference (the Samsung A920 bluetooth is connection-finicky, and the 640 seems to hold it a touch better).

Bottom line for round 1 - 640 is good, but I haven't decided if it's better than the 510 yet. I think I want to try a new windstop 510 before committing...
    The 640 is perfect for my needs. I use it only in the car, especially if traveling in areas where is the law. Since I have a ProClip, the 640 is always within line-of-sight of the Treo. The main reason I went with the 640 is because I hate having anything over my ears. And it was a good price at $77 with shipping.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    I love my 640. My last headset was a Jabra Freespeak - this is world's better.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cash70
    And it was a good price at $77 with shipping.
    Was this an ebay acquisition or from a retailer?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast