1.    #1  
    What's the real deal on the ability of GSM phones (EDGE) to allow voice calls to come through when transferring data?

It seems really spotty .. When testing with Shoutcast (actual stations) or Gloonet (What a great service!!!), voice calls get through sometimes. Most of the time I get Voicemail or "this is not a valid #...please check the # and dial again". I am using Cingular.

Will streaming at lower bit-rate increase the odds of phone calls coming through
    ?

Do SMS traffic get treated the same way as phone calls vis-a-vis interrupting data?

I'd love to use more streaming but am always afraid of missing calls!!
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Gsm and cdma both go to voicemail when transferring data. The gsm phones tend to drop the connection quicker then cdma which results in less calls to vm...
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
  3.    #3  
    So, while GSM can go to voice, that's not guranteed? I find that in 90%+ cases, the call goes to VM.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    I think GSM will go to VM if a call comes in while a packet is actively being transferred. Otherwise, even if you appear to be online, the voice call will interrupt the data flow.

(But I'm just guessing here.)
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    So, while GSM can go to voice, that's not guranteed? I find that in 90%+ cases, the call goes to VM.
    I find it to be the other way around. Im using my GPRS connection almost constantly and rarely (once every couple weeks) miss a call.

As to the question about text messages, i have found that at least outgoing ones will interrupt a GPRS connection

Quote Originally Posted by jaytee
    I think GSM will go to VM if a call comes in while a packet is actively being transferred. Otherwise, even if you appear to be online, the voice call will interrupt the data flow.

(But I'm just guessing here.)
    I have had calls interrupt data transfers, but who knows if a packet was coming in on that exact ms.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
  6.    #6  
    So, streaming at a lower rate should increase the odds of Voice calls coming through ..?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    I get calls all the time while browsing the web.. But there's a lot of idle time involved in that I suppose..

I haven't yet been able to stream over EDGE on Cingular, even at 48kbit it keeps buffering over and over
  8.    #8  
    Web browsing has a lot of idle time compared to streaming.

I notice that even when browsing, if the Treo isn't available in the very first moments that the call comes in, it will go to VM even after ringing (to the caller) for many sec. It's not like there isn't ANY idle time in 4-5 seconds!!

Maybe GSM protocol doesn't search very vigorously during the ringiing.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM