1.    #1  
    just upgraded to the 650 from the 600 and am constantly being asked to delete info pictures & email to make room to do anything like check email. I moved evrything that was not locked to my card but am still having problems. are there tricks of the trade to free up space? it's annyong to have to delete pix just to check email. fed up!
    You need to get something like Zlauncher (what I prefer) or PowerRun (which others prefer) and move your apps and even some of your data to your SD card. Get at least
    a 1 GB card. Memory (RAM) is really skimpy on the 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkky
    just upgraded to the 650 from the 600 and am constantly being asked to delete info pictures & email to make room to do anything like check email. I moved evrything that was not locked to my card but am still having problems. are there tricks of the trade to free up space? it's annyong to have to delete pix just to check email. fed up!
    How did you upgrade from the 600 to 650? Did you just hotsync to your prior userid? If so, we have some cleanup to do. The 650 chokes on settings brought forward from the 600.

Cheers, Perry.
    If you did sync to a prior userid:

Hard reset
    rename your backup folder on the PC to backupold
    Palm>Programs>userid> backup . . . . . . . .to backup old
    hotsync to the userid
    you should have all your PIM data back on the Treo but no 3rd party software
    install fresh your 3rd party software (not from a backup)

some 3rd party settings brought forward to the 650 by a direct sync to a previous userid make it do some strange things.

I actually did this:

I sarted with a brand new userid for my 650
    beamed my PIM data (memos, appointments, tasks & contacts) over from my T3
    and installed the 3rd party stuff fresh.

Cheers, Perry
    Do you have Docs 2 Go in your handheld memory?
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Perry, I couldn't resist. . .
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    Perry, I couldn't resist. . .
    You beat me to it. . . . .
    I was in the process of copying the link . . . . . .
    Last edited by gtwo; 10/14/2005 at 08:31 AM.
  9.    #9  
    yes to all. I have a 256 card from my 600 days. i'll try the above recommendations and see how it goes. thank you!
    Also, you can save taken pics directly to the SD card by opening Pics & Videos and select the SD card icon. Then pics you take will go directly to the card.

Cheers, Perry
  11.    #11  
    why do I need zlauncher if the treo 650 already has the "copy" program built in to move apps to the sd card? I just noticed I couldn't move apps with a lock on them. also thank you re the picture tip.
    Some 3rd party programs do not operate well from the SD card. zlauncher and apps like it, "move" the majority of the program to the SD card, saving the room, but leave a "start up" image in internal memory -- so you can select and run it like it was still in internal memory.

Cheers, Perry.
    I've just picked up a GSM unlocked Treo 650 for my wife, and the guy told me that when you transfer all data across using hotsync from a 600 to a 650 it can cause loop resets, as the info is not copied across in the NVFS properly, and to do it in small chunks at a time. He said that it is a known problem when upgrading from a 600, and he only found out about it 3 days ago.

Now all I need to do is install blueboard & blue chat so my wife & I can chat when we are in meetings together!

Treo 650 rocks!
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Holux GPSlim236 GPS BT receiver & Tom Tom v5.201
    Zlauncher and powerrun sux because there is a lag time when opening an app. If you have an unbelievable amount of email then maybe switch to a email app that allows you to store your email on the card. I know you said you are getting low memory warnings but is it accurate? How much internal memory does your device say it has.

Perry does VersaMail allow you to store email on the card? I dont remember.

Chatter does.

And of course like others say always store your pictures on the card? Theres no point in storing them on the internal memory???

Also you said you already moved stuff to the card but what is left on your internal. I have found that most programs can run from the card. And they open from the card faster than launching them from Zlauncher or PowerRun.

If all is said and done and you still need more RAM you can spend an hour to make a custom ROM, take 4 megs of junk out of ROM and put 4 megs of your stuff in ROM thus freeing up an extra 4 megs of RAM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeProcter
    I've just picked up a GSM unlocked Treo 650 for my wife, and the guy told me that when you transfer all data across using hotsync from a 600 to a 650 it can cause loop resets, as the info is not copied across in the NVFS properly, and to do it in small chunks at a time. He said that it is a known problem when upgrading from a 600, and he only found out about it 3 days ago.

Now all I need to do is install blueboard & blue chat so my wife & I can chat when we are in meetings together!

Treo 650 rocks!

Hi Mike!

Not sure about this small chunks method. . . . . The problem is the 3rd party settings being brought forward from the 600 to the 650 when using the same userid. You are best off doing what I said in post #4.

(Or follow the upgrade instructions posted on the Palm website.)

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 10/14/2005 at 09:30 AM.
    Perrys right small chunks is not the answer. And dont listen to those reps there in the dark.

When you go from one device to another the best way is to drag the contents from the backup to a new folder on the desktop then double click only the 3rd party prcs and their databases to reinstall them. Its also safe to reinstall databases for 1st and 2nd party applications however much of that is PIM and is restored by the palm desktop but I would not install 1st and 2nd party settings or preferences. Do not sync the saved preferences file.