1.    #1  
    Jeff,

I posted this in a thread but it got buried so I deleted it.

How about a keyguard/screen off/security application?

Heres the problem: Keyguard-ScreenOff apps dont work on the Treo, Why, dunno mabey because the Treo dosent have standard app buttons. The built in keyguard app allows any of the 4 application buttons to turn the Treo on and leave it on, draining your battery.

So we need one made for the treo, one that wouldnt turn the screen on if just any application button were pressed, or if an alarm goes off, if email synced or any of the 20 other occurrences that power on the screen and drain your battery.

It could work as a security application if it allowed a user to turn on the screen 'only' if a predefined sequence of buttons were pressed.

I have tried:

offalready Very difficult to turn Treo on pressing 2 buttons simultaneously

dissable buttons 2.1 intermittently allows any button to wake the Treo

PowerOn intermittently allows any button to wake the Treo

keyGuard Time Allows any button to wake the Treo but at least it turns Treo off quickly when the stock keyguard is enabled

This request is sparked by this discussion http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...2&page=1&pp=20
    Jeff?
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I don't think there would be any problems having the Treo turn on by any of the 4 application buttons and I don't see how that would drain the battery if there is a keyguard program that would turn the device off in a few seconds no matter what caused the device to turn on. One of the reasons that there is a battery drain is because the built in keyguard does not do the job it is suppose to do ( turning off the device after a few seconds regardless of what caused the turn on).
    and it would be ideal if It could work as a security application if it allowed a user to turn on the screen 'only' if a predefined sequence of buttons were pressed.
    Or let the 4 application buttons turn the device on and then unlock the keyguard by pressing the predefined sequence of buttons. I would think this option would be more practical and easier to implement.
  4.    #4  
    Your right the battery would last longer it the treo were only accidentally on for 3 seconds rather than 3 minutes.I hate the idea of changing prefs to "off after 30 seconds". But something that kept the treo off unless the correct sequence off buttons were pressed would be the best for me since I use a Nutshell case and the buttons are constantly pressed. I use the built in keyguard and still I pulled the phone out yesterday to findout that not only did the treo turn on by itself but also the key guard was bypassed the camera app was launched and a picture was taken of the inside of the case.

Jeff?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tem
    Your right the battery would last longer it the treo were only accidentally on for 3 seconds rather than 3 minutes.
    On my Treo 650, with no 3rd party keyguard, the Treo turns on with the press of any of the 4 buttons. If the center button is not pressed, it turns off in 3 seconds. My auto power off is set to 2 minutes.

So, what is the problem with the built-in keyguard?

If the application button(s) and the center buttons get pressed by accident, the odds of other combinations getting pressed is equally high (or low) .. unless the keyguard required pressing 3 buttons ..
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  6.    #6  
    If the screen is turned on even with the built in keyguard enabled and there is a blinking curser on the security application or any text field the treo will stay lit for the time period set in prefs when a button is pressed at the same time that the screen would usually go off.

With a pouch case this happens to me a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tem
    If the screen is turned on even with the built in keyguard enabled and there is a blinking curser on the security application or any text field the treo will stay lit for the time period set in prefs when a button is pressed at the same time that the screen would usually go off.
    I don't see this. My buttons are mapped to launch Phone, 2day, Xpress Mail and of course, the red Power button.

I opened a compose screen in Xpress Mail with a blinking cursor, pressed Power to turn off the Treo. When Power is pressed again to turn on the Treo, the Keyguard msg comes on for 3 seconds before the Treo shuts off.

I tested again with Palm's stock power-on-password screen, again, with a blinking cursor, awaiting my password input. Power off, power on, the keyguard is on screen for 3 seconds only.

My default auto off is 2 minutes.

I am unable to have the default Keyguard msg be on the screen for more than 3 seconds.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  8.    #8  
    If alfa buttons are pressed randomly when the keyguard is up, the keyguard pop up will close then the cursor will be blinking and the screen will stay lit. It may be hard to sit and reproduce but it happens repeatedly in a pouch case.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for trouble shooting this with me