Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    This is a sweet setup for the Treo 650!

First class build and packaging all around.
    Went with this wireless blue tooth bundle from Semsons http://www.semsons.com/tona5usawigl.html
    $229 plus $14 shipping or $20 for 2 day DHL (for the $6 xtra I took the 2 day).

What I liked over all the other GPS units on Semson's site was the i-Trek's size and the 15 hour rechargeable battery life on this I-Trek M3 GPS unit in the bundle. Comes with car charger and AC charger anyway. Also nice case for the GPS and a nice case for the 8 CD's.
    I already had the Proclip dash holder for the 650 but the free vent clip included from Semson's works great too. Well made and adaptable to most vent configurations.

The i-Trek's is very light in weight and to give you an idea of it's size it's the about the same depth as the Treo, height is from the bottom of the Treo's screen to the bottom of the case and width is about 1/2 inch wider than the Treo's keyboard area. Surprisingly quite small overall.

Installation went flawless although the initial hotsync to download the 169 MB Northeast region CD took about 45 min. This can be rectified the next time I need to change maps by a $10 SD card reader (which I already own from my digital camera, but I wanted to see how long it would take). A card reader probably would take a few minutes to download a CD directly to the SD card.

One glitch that a layman might run into is when installing the GPS CD (there is no paper manual or instructions with the GPS unit). One needs to click on "all files" at the bottom of the window when using run-browse to open and view the installation manual on the CD. It's a brief 5 page manual and on one of the pages it gives you the 5 steps to allow the Treo 650 to recognize the Blue tooth GPS device.

Now onto using the TomTom system. I first entered a destination by clicking on the big bright and in color easy to read screen's "navigate to" Icon. I picked a restaurant a few miles from my house and started driving . . .

What you get is the same thing you see in those $2000 built in or
    the $1000 units that sit on top of the dash. The voice comes out LOUD and CLEAR from the Treo's rear speaker (I did install the trial of volumecare last week, so this is probably helping the clarity). The voice comes on a few hundred yards from every turn instructing you that the next turn is coming up, just like the expensive built in units do.

The BEST part though is the view of the maps while you are driving. Best I can describe it is it's like you are flying in an airplane about 50 feet above the road and looking down at the streets as you go by each one on route to your destination. Each street's name is labeled as you go by and the voice gives you ample warning of turns and destination arrival.

Actually, as others have said in other threads that you don't even have to look at the screen anyway because the voice commands take you from point to point.

Others have mentioned that if they had to do it again they would use two units. I disagree with this one too because the whole purpose of buying our smartphones is the phone and PDA integration into one device and now the GPS is also integrated into the Treo along with the MP3's and internet access from anywhere. For the $10 a week I pay for Verizon's for unlimited data access, it's a bargain to me. I don't need wifi as I access from anywhere or use PDAnet if no cell service. but I'm the next device we upgrade to (smartphone tech life about two years) will have wifi built in or accessed by an SD card.

I don't even take my laptop along with me anymore when I go on business or vacations. Don't need it now or the worry of leaving it in my car or hotel room.

In any case, If one needs to look at the screen that close you can use the vent mount and have it 10 inches from your nose. But why? My Proclip mounts it to the bottom right of my radio, about arms length and I can see it fine and hear the commands fine too.

So after all the threads and opinions I've read here and in TreoCentral positive and negative about TomTom and a blue tooth wireless unit . . . in my opinion THIS WILL BE THE BEST $229 you will ever spend to give you a GPS on your Treo.

I liked the wireless versions cause I can use it while walking or biking around a big city like NYC.

When I returned from my initial test drive I downloaded the latest update from TomTom's website. This also installed error free.

Just justify the money spent as to the safety factor of not getting lost ANYWHERE anymore. How much is the safety of you or your Family's life worth. For $229, it's the cheapest insurance you will ever get.

You can thank me later for that last paragraph later . . . just say it verbatim to your spouse, they will say "OK maybe you should go for it".

There are many many other great features to the TomTom software, but I don't want to take the fun out of discovering them yourself.

So my first impressions . . . This setup is AWESOME and much much more than I expected from reading the reviews.
    Last edited by Expidia; 10/13/2005 at 09:00 PM.
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    When I ordered my bundle from them they shipped the same or by the next day. No holding orders back a few days like many sites do (I hate that, when you pay for 2 day delivery and a company takes 2-3 days to process the order and then you hit the weekend, so 2 days become 6 days).

I took the two day DHL for $19. I saw by the tracking it was shipped and picked up from Semsons but DHL took an extra day to deliver it, even though it was at my office by 10AM on the 3rd day.

I complained by email back to Semsons for some type of shipping credit, I was only looking for a few dollars back on principle because I paid $6 extra above the $14 regular way shipping for two day delivery.

Here is their response I received back today from last nights email:

Dear Paul,
    We are sorry for the delayed shipping.
    A refund of $19.00 has been credited to your Master Card account today. Please allow 4-5 business for the credit to reflect on your statement.

We apologize again for you were unable to use the GPS for your trip. Thank you for your business and we hope to serve you again in the future.

Best regards,
    Customer Care Team
    Semsons & Co. Inc.
    www.semsons.com

This order was shipped across the country from CA to NY. I can't even get companies in NJ to process, ship and deliver this fast to me.

Just wanted to post this here as THIS is the type of company and customer service you want to give your current and future business to!
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
    How does this unit function if you are using it while you are walking down the street? Can you have the GPS unit in your pocket or do you need to hold it in your hand along with the Treo?

Jeff
    these newer bluetooth are amazing when it comes to maintaining lock on the satellites. once you get a lock you can throw the gps in your glovebox or throw it on the backseat floor and it maintains the lock and signal!

if you ever owned a garmin or magellan gps that took forever to lock on the signal and only worked when it was in the clean view of the open sky, you will be pleasantly suprised. you can get a lock and then walk around your house and still get a great signal. these are a few generations ahead in technology.

I have a nice garmin 176c that I paid about $700 for with the maps and it doesn't even come close to the on road functionality with the tom tom navigator.

the gps bluetooth (or wired) chipset technology you are looking for is called sirfstar 2 or 3.
    most of the newer gpsr have that technology and that is what accounts for the excellent performance.

to answer your question, you will have no problems establishing a sat lock, then putting the gps in your shirt, pants, jacket or backpack for the duration of your trip.

tom tom also has special settings for calculating routes for walkers, and other special settings for limited speed vehicles, like bicycles or mopeds or that 2 wheeled gyroscope thing that police and tour guides are using...
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    On TomTom's site you can sign up for Traffic, Maps, Traffic cams, Voices etc
    Some subscriptions are free till years end as a trial but . . .

There is no Treo 650 listed and you need to put in the phones specific codes to use these apps. There is a Palm Choice but it's not a smartphone so the place to find the 10 digit code is not there.

Has anyone downloaded these trial apps to their 650's yet. I emailed Cus Ser but have not heard back yet on this issue (Although it says 24 hr response time and it's only been 12).

Below are the choices, Palm one does not work.

Step 2 of 5
    Please select your TomTom device and software Continue
    GO with
    TomTom GO (Standard software)TomTom GO 5.xx (Update)GO 300 with
    TomTom GO 300GO 500 with
    TomTom GO 500GO 700 with
    TomTom GO 700Mobile Phone - Microsoft Smartphone with
    TomTom MOBILETomTom MOBILE 5Mobile Phone - Nokia Smartphone (Symbian) with
    TomTom MOBILETomTom MOBILE 5Palm with
    TomTom NAVIGATOR for PalmTomTom NAVIGATOR 5 for PalmPocketPC with
    TomTom NAVIGATORTomTom NAVIGATOR 2TomTom NAVIGATOR 3TomTom NAVIGATOR 5TomTom NAVIGATOR Navigation Pack 1710TomTom NAVIGATOR Navigation Pack 2110TomTom NAVIGATOR 2004 - USATomTom NAVIGATOR HP 6500 GPS Navigation
    Quote Originally Posted by Expidia
    On TomTom's site you can sign up for Traffic, Maps, Traffic cams, Voices etc Some subscriptions are free till years end as a trial but . . .

There is no Treo 650 listed and you need to put in the phones specific codes to use these apps. There is a Palm Choice but it's not a smartphone so the place to find the 10 digit code is not there.

Has anyone downloaded these trial apps to their 650's yet. I emailed Cus Ser but have not heard back yet on this issue (Although it says 24 hr response time and it's only been 12).
    Premium services for the US seem to work a bit differently. I have used the traffic and weather services just by activating them through Nav5 on the T650. They seem to be in a trial period as there is currently no charge. Others have downloaded special voices (with some difficulty). If you search some of the older posts you should find additional info.
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    Thanks, I didn't think to go into it by the Navigator software. I've seen the other posts related to voices, but since they were older I thought TomTom might have cleared that problem up already.

Has anyone got the Women with the sexy voice to work yet?
    Just got my Ck3300 installed and am thrilled with the performance. The sound quality is great and after updating the parrot unit via bluetooth, it's connected always and properly.

I opted for an external speaker hidden under the dash due to the separate amps at each speaker in my range rover. I played with using the line level outputs from the parrot into the amp inputs, but decided if it was only going to be one speaker, might as well use the old speaker from my startac setup of years ago.

The voice dialing is awesome after you take the time to set it up.

I bought the 3300 because it had the GPS wired right in....does anyone have any experience with a certain software the works reliably with the 650/3300 combination?

I plan on buying another parrot unit for my wife's car, but want to avoid the GPS version if it doesn't create a stable system.

Car Designer, you've posted on this topic before, any insight to offer?

Cheers

Boston, MA

Thanks in advance!
    Has anyone seen a review or anything on these gps units that seamons has for some of these tomtom bundles? I really would like to get one but just dont know which I should get. I really would like something as small as possible but do not want to do at the cost of performance. I am just looking at comparisons for size, performance in real world situations, and real world battery usage. Its difficult to find even dimentions for some of these. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I think we have exactly what you want at GpsPassion. Check out our article at:

http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=157&page=1
    www.gpspassion.com
    Associate Writer, PalmAddict
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    How large are the TomTom maps??

Could you fit the entire US onto a SD card??
    -Craig J.

Visor Platinum -= Clie T615CS -= treo 600 -=treo 650 -= Tilt
    "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. "
    -Douglas Adams
    Quote Originally Posted by cphil674
    How large are the TomTom maps??

Could you fit the entire US onto a SD card??
    I'm wondering the same thing (and, of course, what size card).
    Believe there is a post here somewhere that said that not quite everything would fit on a 1GB card. There are a lot of different map options including regional maps and the major roads & cities so I'm not sure if the poster had tried various combinations of regional and/or state maps. I've only loaded 3 regions and a few state maps. That way I have space left for tunes & some topo's for Outdoor Navigator.
    I have a TomTom 300 and a Navigator5. I used the navigator 5 with T5 before. I change T5 to a 650 and keep the SD card running without problem.

The card with all US map in 300 is 1GB. In case of Navigator5. These maps are chopped to different regions or states. The whole northeast /NE region map is about 88MB. The NY+PA+NJ+DE+DC+MD map is about 95MB There are overlappings on these map files. I haven't tried to fit them all because I don't need all maps. Well, I dont' think it would fit anyway.
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    When I bought my TomTom Nav5 a few weeks ago I couldn't seem to get the TomTom.com site to download some of the "plus" (add on for $6.00 each U.S.) optional voices at that time to work.
    Another try tonight and their site is working for voices now for those of you that might want voices like John Cleese or like my choice of Sylvia (the sexy voice).

Here is a tip I found to get it to work on the 650 after you download an optional voice. You CAN'T do it from the phone under the TomTom's "extras" icon under "download extras". But you CAN go to Tomtom.com and download a voice from there.
    After you pay for it an email links you to a download site. 3 files will download and I first used the Palm's quick install tool and saw one file automatically went to the internal side and two files went to the external card side in the quick install screen. But after a hotsync the internal file installed but the two going to the card had YELLOW explanation marks saying "no application on the organizer to handle this file". So I remembered reading in a thread that a poster suggested moving these files using a card reader. I used the carder reader to view the files in the TomTom folder on the card and saw similar files were in there except different #'s my new voice files were "data79.chk" etc. So I moved the new files into the folder and went into the 650 in TomTom and now had the "New" voice icon (Sylvia) to choose from.
    All in all pretty simple process. I had deleted the original voice file in the Tomtom folder before I moved in the two new ones, but I think you may be able to leave the old ones in along with the new ones and have two voices to switch back and forth to. I'm not sure though if it works with the old voice files and the new ones in the folder at the same time. My new voice works now, so I'll leave well enough alone rather than play around by adding the old voice files that came on the CD back into the folder on the card just to see if we can just add new voice files to the card without deleting the old ones.

Maybe someone knows the answer as I'd like to add John Cleese too?
    I'm thinking about getting the TomTom - this thread has been really helpful!
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    This "Sylvia" voice is a riot. I just drove around the block and when I reached my home she said "You've reached your destination, But don't stop, DON"T STOP!"
    Can't wait to see the look on my Wife's face when we go on a trip Wed. ha ha ha !
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    Now that I installed a premium voice file I had re-installed the TomTom application from the CD as I was trying different approaches to getting the voice to work until I found the "load the voice file directly to the card" fix

But I found a glitch that I didn't have before. . . I don't use the Contact Navigator icon on the menu. It was gone from a few weeks ago but I didn't use it anyway so I never re-installed the app from the CD until last night. But now it's back!

My glitch is that I liked having to TomTom Navigator favorite button on the top right spot under the pound sign and giving it a G for GPS to hold down when in another area to bring program up. But now that the Contact navigator shortcut is back it takes over that button and when I try and assign that button to the top right favorite button there is no more Navigator listed under application like there used to be (only the Contact Navigator shortcut is listed). I deleted it and the Navigator program deleted too and I had to re-install the program from the CD.

At least I found out now "you can" use multiple voices and select the one you want that day since the CD put the "Lori" U.S. voice files back on the 650.

Anyone know how to get only the "Navigator" favorite button hooked up again like I had it before. This is real handy when you want to go into the Tom Tom program as the program button shows as soon as you press the green phone button on?
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    Actually I answered my own question as when I re-installed the TomTom app from CD it asked me for an activation code again. Once I did that the Navigator icon came back again to the same favorites button as before.
    Just installed LED OFF (free program, http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-241.html?LEDOff) to finally get rid of that BRIGHT,BLINDING RED Treo charging LED light, when the 650 is plugged into the cig lighter. Power cord is necessary when on long trips using it as a GPS. Even though the TomTom gives you "night map colors" the Treo's red charging light is an awful distraction (the green one is no bargain either, blinking on and off) especially when the Treo is sitting in the middle of your dash just under the windshield at night.
    One last note: Sometimes when using the Blue Tooth I-Trek GPS I find it won't show as paired (linked) on the Treo's BT setup under nearby or trusted devices. I was flipping out last night just before I had to use some back roads in CT over some mountains. I thought it was not linking up with the GPS (said can't find GPS signal at first). but when I turned on TomTom again after trying to re-pair it up and it was still reading the GPS even though it did not show as being paired up in the Treo's BT screen setup. Anyone else have this same situation?
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    In 2003, I bought iGuidance version 1.1 and a Globalsat CF GPS receiver, from Semsons to use with my HP 2215 PPC. In January of this year, I bought a Navman 4460 from Amazon which came with SmartSt Pro version 1.3. I was hoping to replace iGuidance and my PPC, but it wasn’t even close. I recently bought TomTom and the Globalsat BT-338 GPS receiver from Semsons to use with my Treo 650
    For Thanksgiving, we drove from central Ohio to Talladega AL, and I ran my PPC with iGuidance and the Navman 4460, and my Treo 650 with TomTom and the Globalsat BT-338 together to make comparisons.

TomTom 5.12

+ Saves the route if you exit the software and restart it.
    + Accurate routes
    + Software is easy to use in the car, can use a fingernail
    + Good itinerary and waypoint features
    + Overall maps were more accurate because they were newer.
    + Finds the last GPS used, no need to rediscover it.

- Doesn’t show the current street/road, just the next one at the top and bottom of the screen. Tried all combinations of “street name” in the status bar and “show next highway” under name preferences. Any fix for this?
    - A couple missing streets that were in iGuidance which is older
    - Voice directions aren’t as good as iGuidance
    - Software exits when receiving a phone call.
    - Can’t route across maps. I couldn’t start my route until we reached KY. This is a big flaw in my opinion.
    - Activation is kind of a pain.
    - Doesn't show exit numbers.

iGuidance 1.1

+ Accurate routes
    + Descriptive voice directions
    + Shows exit number
    + Better visual directions (arrows) for freeway splits
    + Finds the last GPS used, no need to rediscover it
    + No activation

- A few tracking errors along I-65, went “off road” from time to time.
    - Doesn’t remember your route if you exit the program
    - Only one waypoint
    - Generating and installing maps takes a long time, but you don’t have to do it often if you have a large enough card

SmartSt Pro – I no longer use it, actually I never started because I couldn’t trust it.

+ Great price from Amazon - $131 after $30 off for getting an Amazon credit card
    + The Navman 4460 is a good GPS receiver, and I use it with my PPC now.
    + Could route between active maps.

- Maps weren’t accurate
    - Incorrect routes
    - Had a few glitches with the Treo
    - Had to turn on the GPS from within the software each time.
    - Activation is a pain, but not as bad as TomTom
    - Installation didn’t work, had to install prc files manually.

I’m sure I’m missing some things, and it may not look like it from the pros and cons, but I really like TomTom. If it had cross map routing and used Navteq data, it would be just about perfect. I may have to buy iGuidance 2.1.3 to compare to TomTom. Probably the best thing about TomTom on my Treo is I always have my Treo with me anyway, and the GlobalSat GPS is small enough to carry around. Oh, one more thing, everyone seems to love the 3D view in TomTom, but I prefer the 2D view. At this point, I'm not sure if I'll keep two devices, or just use the Treo for everything. That’s it for now.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast