Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Expidia
    Installation went flawless although the initial hotsync to download the 169 MB Northeast region CD took about 45 min. This can be rectified the next time I need to change maps by a $10 SD card reader (which I already own from my digital camera, but I wanted to see how long it would take). A card reader probably would take a few minutes to download a CD directly to the SD card.
    I'm getting this for my birthday or Christmas assuming my wife has picked up on my hints, so maybe this will all be obvious when it arrives but I figured I'd ask anyway.

So if I am installing TomTom for the first time, I can speed the installation process if I put the map files on the SD card with my card reader instead of HotSyncing them? If that's the case, what process should I use?

HotSync the TomTom program files then copy the map files to the card? In what directory on the card should the map files be placed?
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    As I said in the start of this thread, I didn't use a reader the first time. Took 45 min to download the entire Northeast region CD of the U.S.

I'm going on vacation to FL. Your question reminded me to download a Southeast region CD. I'm using the card reader this time. 1. You put in the application CD. 2. one of the choices is "add maps" 3. It shows you a map of the U.S. and you choose which region you want (or one could even put all 8 CD's on a 1 GB card). 4. When you click the region, it tells you what CD to put in. 4. It asks where you want to load the map, choose "other" and it shows "card reader". FL takes up 160 MB and using the card reader it only took 11 min, while I was typing this out. A lot better than 45 min!
    So in answer to your question . . . the software does the loading of the map to the SD card for you. Just follow the prompts, piece of cake.
    I'm ready to roll now! Good luck.
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
    I just got the TomTom 5 with the BT-338 GPS Receiver. I've seen several posts indicating that you can install the maps directly onto the SD card without having to go through the lengthy hotsync process.

I have an SD card slot built in to my laptop - can someone explain the process for doing this? Also, how do you remove a map from the card if you need to free up space?

Thanks!
    Last edited by qualtalk; 02/09/2006 at 02:12 PM.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by qualtalk
    I just got the TomTom 5 with the BT-338 GPS Receiver. I've seen several posts indicating that you can install the maps directly onto the SD card without having to go through the lengthy hotsync process.

I have an SD card slot built in to my laptop - can someone explain the process for doing this? Also, how do you remove a map from the card if you need to free up space?

Thanks!
    Read Expidia's reply above for instructions on how to install maps via a card reader.

Secondly, to delete maps, use the 'Delete Map' function in the Tom Tom program (on yout Treo).

Change Prefs --> Manage Maps --> Delete Maps
    -Craig J.

Visor Platinum -= Clie T615CS -= treo 600 -=treo 650 -= Tilt
    "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. "
    -Douglas Adams
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12