Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nightcap
    Wha? Of course they're supporting Mac - that's how I use it. Just download Audible-Palm-Itunes.dmg and install it on your Mac, run a hotsync, and you'll have it on your Treo.

The only downside is that I have to re-download my favorite books from Audible in Format 3, since Palm doesn't support Format 4 (highest fidelity, largest size). But that won't take long.

I'm very favorably impressed by Audible - this is a nice, easy to use tool that makes my Treo even more invaluable to me!

Recommendation: Lolita as read by Jeremy Irons. The creepiest Humbert Humbert you ever heard!

-- Bill
    Did you ever see David Cronenberg's film "Dead Ringers" starring Jeremy Irons in a dual role of twin gynocologists? Talk about creepy, he personifies creepy. But Cronenberg is famous for making nothing BUT creepy movies.

Format 3 is FM quality, and it's more than good enough for spoken word. They don't give any kind of exact comparison of their four formats (1-4) with mp3 comprssion rates (32k, 64k, 128k, 160k, 192k and so on).. but rather say in generalities that 1-4 roughly equate to phone call quality (which sounds pretty ugly) to CD quality.

When I download Audible books to listen to on my computer, which has a ton of storage, I always use their highest quality (not all titles are available in all qualities, especially older books originally released on tape back to the 1970s).. because storage space isn't much of a problem. I've downloaded full length books that are 40mb or more, and run for 6-8 hours. Bill Clinton reading the full unabridged 800 page version of his biography "My Life" runs for 20 hours!

But yeah for the Treo PalmOS player, quality 3 is as high as it supports. Interestingly, when using the Zodiac 2, ITS version of the PalmOS Audible player does allow quaity 4, probably because the Zodiac has much superior sound hardware (a dedicated Yamaha chip) than the Treo does. But alas, Tapwave is gone, so no more Zodiacs. What a shame they ran out of money. They made a fantastic product and I'm hanging onto mine. It used to be my main review platform.

A Treo with dual SD slots and 128mb of internal RAM like the Zodiac has would be a nice toy. Tapwave had a helluva cool handheld. I was hoping it would evolve into a phone, not end up on the junkpile of computing history after only two years in production, but many innovative products like Amiga and Newton ended up there too, sadly.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser
    Bill Clinton reading the full unabridged 800 page version of his biography "My Life" runs for 20 hours!
    The unabridged version of Ron Chernow's Alexander Hamilton is almost 37 hours. I loved it, though. If anyone is looking for an interesting look at the American Revolution, Hamilton pops up in so many places that this one book provides an excellent background of the whole era. And since it comes at it from Hamilton's POV, it'll give you a different perspective than what you are supposed to get from school. And 37 hours for one credit, is a great deal!
    Did you ever see David Cronenberg's film "Dead Ringers" starring Jeremy Irons in a dual role of twin gynocologists? Talk about creepy, he personifies creepy. But Cronenberg is famous for making nothing BUT creepy movies.

Harv
    I've deleted Dead Ringers off my ReplayTV a dozen times - I was trying to record the British satire of the same name. Next time I'll keep it! I did see him as Klaus von Bulow in "Reversal of Fortune," in which he was reptilian, repellent, and absolutely riveting. In "Die Hardest" or whatever it was called, he was OK, but I had the feeling he was playing Alan Rickman.

Thanks for the recommendation!

-- Bill
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nightcap
    I've deleted Dead Ringers off my ReplayTV a dozen times - I was trying to record the British satire of the same name. Next time I'll keep it! I did see him as Klaus von Bulow in "Reversal of Fortune," in which he was reptilian, repellent, and absolutely riveting. In "Die Hardest" or whatever it was called, he was OK, but I had the feeling he was playing Alan Rickman.

Thanks for the recommendation!

-- Bill
    Sorry to invoke "thread rot" here, but I just can't resist. Yeah, if you like Jeremy Irons, do try to catch Cronenberg's film. Just be warned that it is a very disturbing and dark film, like all his films are.

A few years ago he made one called "Crash" (not to be confused with another, more recent film with the same title..) .. with James Spader and Rosanna Arquette (::swoon:.. about a couple who get sexually turned-on from seeing car crashes, and actually stage their own crashes so they can get it on in the wrecked cars. I don't think it's a tour de force like Dead Ringers is, or has quite the horrifying visual impact of his early film "Scanners" did (exploding heads and all).. but of all the current crop of modern filmmakers, Cronenberg has a very strange outlook on the world and his films reflect it.

They are all seriously twisted, thought-provoking, disturbing and horrific in one way or another.

Irons' performance in the Die Hard film was far from the best he could do. A hundred other actors who do villians could have played that role. But he has that interesting quality of being able to portray an almost likeably evil character that few other actors can pull off in a convincing way. In Reversal of Fortune, you can't help but like his Von Bulow, despite being a repallant guy, he could still be charming at the same time. Someone you could hold an intelligent conversation with, and wouldn't mind hanging out with.

In a way, Irons' capability to pull off this kind of role reminds me of the supremely talented Christopher Walken, another guy who can be totally repellent and yet likeable at the same time, as in "Pulp Fiction." Harvey Keitel has that ability too. So do DeNiro and Nicholson.

There are some actors who are just so good at what they do, it looks effortless, and when they're onscreen you simply can't take your eyes off them. I guess one could call them "naturals." In past generations, Bogart, Gable, Orson Welles and others I could name if I thought about it long enough had that quality too. It's something you can't quite put your finger on but you know it when you see it.

Harv
    Last edited by hrlaser; 03/21/2006 at 06:37 PM.
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    There are some actors who are just so good at what they do, it looks effortless, and when they're onscreen you simply can't take your eyes off them. I guess one could call them "naturals." In past generations, Bogart, Gable, Orson Welles and others I could name if I thought about it long enough had that quality too. It's something you can't quite put your finger on but you know it when you see it.

Harv
    There are certain actors who are always called upon to play the King. When Brian Blessed, or Alec Baldwin, or any of the folks you mentioned are on stage, you don't pay attention to anyone else. Look at how Welles stole "The Third Man" - his character was on screen for only a few minutes. Ditto with Baldwin in "Glengarry Glen Ross".

To drag this conversation kicking and screaming back to the topic, I have discovered a couple small problems with Audible-Palm-iTunes. After installation, Missing Sync hotsync fails if iTunes is running. I think it's grabbing the USB port. The work-around is obvious: shut down iTunes before syncing. I dropped a note to the Mark Space and Audible techies about this.

The other problem is that for some reason Audible-Palm-iTunes doesn't like my 1 GB SD card, saying it's uninitialized. I had to use a 256 MB card and then copy to my 1 GB. Still don't know what the issue is there.

-- Bill

"Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long, Holly." -- Harry Lime, The Third Man
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123