Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Check your local libraries for "netlibrary" or "Overdrive" audio and ebooks downloadable for free. Kansas City has netlibrary and has a beeter selection of audio than ebooks, but those with overdrive have a great selection of both. All you need is a library card. If your city doesnt have this, try your county library.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    The biggest problem with Audible Air (not to steal some thunder from your review, Harv) is its inability to run in the background or with the screen off. When you downloading multiple megabyte files (over Sprint's network) it's a waste of battery to leave the screen on when you can't do anything, and I would like to be able to fire off an email while I wait for the file to download.
    Call Audible tech support and chat'em up about it. But you know PalmOS isn't exactly the best multitasking OS in the world.

When I'm using AudibleAir to download a big honkin' book or a chunk of one, I just set my Treo in its cradle and do other things on my laptop. Or twiddle my thumbs. If I'm in the car, I always have a charger with me anyway. If I'm not in the car and not at home, I have a spare charged up Treo battery in my pocket. I was never a Boy Scout, but I rely on this phone, and so I try to stay prepared.

I still think it's a remarkable program, to do what it does, even if it does have some glitches and minor flaws. You mentioned one of them and there are a couple of others.

- if AudibleAir an the Audible Player are both on a memory card, they can't "see" each other. i.e.: after downloading a book, a button pops up asking you if you want to launh the player. You can tap it until you turn to dust and nothing will happen unless the Audible Player is in internal memory.

- conversely, if you're using the Audible Player (from a card) and pull down the "APP" menu and tell it to launch AudibleAir, it'll tell you AudibleAir is not installed. It can't find it, because it's on the card, not in internal memory.

I've been talking to their Ubergeeks about this, whether or not they intend to make it so you can keep both programs on a card or if they'll always have to be in internal memory to see each other. It's really not a huge problem since you can always punch the apps button and launch either one manually anyway. So I don't know if I'd call it a bug as much as a buglette

You CAN, of course, store all the audio books you want on your card and either program finds them there just fine.

I found one other bug(lette?) that they admit is a server-side "issue" (I hate the word issue.. it's a problem, not an issue..) .. and that is if you buy an individual segment of a "subscription" program, say one program of "Fresh Air" instead of buying a whole subscription to it, AudibleAir will not suck it down to the Treo for you. It doesn't know it's in your Audible.com "my library." They are working to fix this. Whole subscriptions download just fine. Individually-purchased episodes do not.

Ooh, I just got a letter from the tech I was speaking with there, and he just confirmed what I typed above:

Regarding the two issues you're encountering, the first is in fact because the programs have been installed to the storage card instead of the main memory. I'm bringing this to the attention of our Quality Assurance team to see if this can be changed in the future. Furthermore, the problem you're having with Fresh Air is because the subscription was purchased as individual episodes, not as a monthly signup. I added a 1 month subscription to 'Whad'Ya Know?' to your account and was able to access it through Audible Air. The feature for access to standalone episodes will be added in the future, but is not available at this time.

So there ya go.

Back to working on the review.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Aprasad,

yes to both
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser
    and that is if you buy an individual segment of a "subscription" program, say one program of "Fresh Air" instead of buying a whole subscription to it, AudibleAir will not suck it down to the Treo for you. It doesn't know it's in your Audible.com "my library." They are working to fix this. Whole subscriptions download just fine. Individually-purchased episodes do not.
    Hot damn!! I was about to take the plunge just for Fresh Air!!

I was hoping that the basic memebership ($9.95/year) with 6 free audio programs/week will let me listen to Fresh Air in my carpool. This will be individual episodes.

Will I have to use the regular Audible player to do this?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Hot damn!! I was about to take the plunge just for Fresh Air!!

I was hoping that the basic memebership ($9.95/year) with 6 free audio programs/week will let me listen to Fresh Air in my carpool. This will be individual episodes.

Will I have to use the regular Audible player to do this?
    To download them, yes. To listen to them, no.

As I explained, they have a problem with AudibleAir not "seeing" individual purhases of "subscription" type programs. They're working on fixing that. See the bolded quote above from a tech to me. However, you could purchase individual "Fresh Air" episodes, download them to the Audible Manager desktop program, then sync your Treo to it and drag'n'drop them over onto its card, and the Palm Audible player will see and play them just fine. You just can't download individual purchases from subscription type programs directly to the Treo with AudibleAir, and that's what they're working to fix.
    Books do not have this problem. Subscriptions don't have this problem. Individual purchases of episodes of subscription type content do have this problem. They will fix it.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    I tried to get Audible Support to provide a .PRC of AudibleAir since the installer is a Windows excecutable and I have a Mac, and they didn't seem to understand the question:

Me: I'm using a Mac, and cannot use the Audible Air PalmAudibleAirSetup.exe. Is there a place I can donwload the .prc Palm file only?

Audible: At this time, we currently not supporting Mac user for Audible Air. This is something we are currently working on for the future.

Me: If Audible Air does not require a computer except for installation, then it doesn't matter if you support Macintosh or not. Simply supplying a download url for the .prc file will allow anyone to install Audible Air on their Palm device, correct?

Audible: As per your email, there is no .prc file for Audible Air. We do apologize for the inconvenience, at this time there is no prc file for Mac users. Audible is working on this issue.

Me: If there is no .prc file for Audible Air, then what does the Windows installer install onto Palm handhelds?

Audible: The program that was installed onto you Palm device is called "Audible Player". This program allows you to listen to your audio book on you palm device.
    Sigh. Maybe I'm missing something, so could someone please explain how I can get AudibleAir onto my Treo without using a Windows computer?

Thanks.
    KWhitney,
    I'm sorry you had to deal with such terrible service. It would be nice if people were as smart as us!
    <merged and moved>
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kwhitney
    I tried to get Audible Support to provide a .PRC of AudibleAir since the installer is a Windows excecutable and I have a Mac, and they didn't seem to understand the question:

Sigh. Maybe I'm missing something, so could someone please explain how I can get AudibleAir onto my Treo without using a Windows computer?

Thanks.
    Kwitney - I've cut and pasted your posting into an email to Audible.com's Director of Consumer Relations who I know quite well and explained the situation to him. The tech support person you communicated with obviously did not understand what you were saying an s/he was reading answers to you out of a book. All they'd have to do is wrap the .prc and .pdb files into a Stuffit (.sit) file, or make them available online as straight .prc and .pdb files, instead of wrapping them in a Windoze.exe installer. All that installer does is unpack four .pdb and .prc files and put them into Palm Desktop's Installer folder for whatever Palm's HotSync name you tell them to. You don't even have to HotSync to get them into your Treo. You could upload them (say, to a private area on your FTP or Web site, if you have one) and then use Blazer and download them to your Treo. Voila. Installed.

Or take your SD card and shove it into your Mac via an SD card reader, or if you have one of SanDisk's Ultra II Plus USB cards, shove that directly into you Mac, and drag copy the four files onto it. Voila. Installed. Couldn't be easier.

I'm going to see what I can do to get this resolved for you, but keep in mind I don't work for Audible.com, I work for TreoCentral.com (as a contractor).. but I think I can make the problem understandable to Audible.com's higher-ups as the support person was obviously clueless what you were trying to tell him/her and the solution is quite easy.

Harv
    Last edited by hrlaser; 03/17/2006 at 11:07 AM.
    Simple.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I talked to Audible today. They have no problem with people distributing the unpacked Audible Player or AudibleAir that comes out of the Windoze .exe file. The software is free. It doesn't do anything if you haven't purchased any content. So they have no problem with people passing the .prc and .pdb files around.

AND they will have a Mac Stuffit .sit download back on their site next week, so I was told. It used to be there, but when they revamped their site's design a few months ago, it "got lost".. so they'll be putting it back.

Harv
    Thanks!
    I talked to Audible today. They have no problem with people distributing the unpacked Audible Player or AudibleAir that comes out of the Windoze .exe file. The software is free. It doesn't do anything if you haven't purchased any content. So they have no problem with people passing the .prc and .pdb files around.

AND they will have a Mac Stuffit .sit download back on their site next week, so I was told. It used to be there, but when they revamped their site's design a few months ago, it "got lost".. so they'll be putting it back.

Harv
    Can you ask them to provide us with an option to use the Treo Volume rocker to turn the volume up and down like on Ptunes?

Quote Originally Posted by Eyedeas
    Check your local libraries for "netlibrary" or "Overdrive" audio and ebooks downloadable for free. Kansas City has netlibrary and has a beeter selection of audio than ebooks, but those with overdrive have a great selection of both. All you need is a library card. If your city doesnt have this, try your county library.
    And if your library doesn't yet have Overdrive most libraries let you purchase a non-resident membership for a reasonable fee (in my case, $25/year). Doing the math, $25/year for unlimited downloads v. $20/month for 2 audio books per month from Audible.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ree Nigne
    And if your library doesn't yet have Overdrive most libraries let you purchase a non-resident membership for a reasonable fee (in my case, $25/year). Doing the math, $25/year for unlimited downloads v. $20/month for 2 audio books per month from Audible.
    Question - what kind of content does the $25/year get you? Does it get you full-lenth current novels and non-fiction, the daily New York Times? I'm not asking to be argumentative. I really want to know. Can you actually duplicate the kind of content Audible sells for $25/year? Or do you get only what's in the public domain?

Harv
    Audible plans are $150/yr and $230/year. Way too pricey for me. Their basic plan of $10/year doesn't offer much (except 30% off discount).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    You can buy things one at a time if you don't listen often. I listen while I run (5-10 hours a week) so I burn through those things at a pretty good clip. Between Audible.com and various podcasts (On The Media and Science Friday, mostly), I am set.
    Question - what kind of content does the $25/year get you? Does it get you full-lenth current novels and non-fiction, the daily New York Times? I'm not asking to be argumentative. I really want to know. Can you actually duplicate the kind of content Audible sells for $25/year? Or do you get only what's in the public domain?
    I'm in the process of signing up, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Content is full length fiction and non-fiction (no mags or dailies as far as I can tell). As for content, Overdrive currently has about 700+ titles (growing). These are current titles, not public domain stuff. Here's the title selection from the library I'm signing on with:

http://digitalbooks.gwinnettpl.org/B...archID=8438705

It works just like the library's hard copies - they only have so many to check out, and you only "keep" it for 21 days (variable). You can, however, burn to CD (not sure if this has an expiration). All media is in WMA format and compatibility links send you to the "PlaysForSure" page. The Treo 700w is listed as compatible (naturally). The 650 is not listed, but I suspect this is because it isn't WMA compatible out of the box - using PTunes Deluxe should solve this problem.

Bottom line - Audible's better if you can afford the price (more titles and AudibleAir downloads straight to the Treo). If the price is too high, library downloads are now a viable option for little or no cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwhitney

Thanks.
    Wha? Of course they're supporting Mac - that's how I use it. Just download Audible-Palm-Itunes.dmg and install it on your Mac, run a hotsync, and you'll have it on your Treo.

The only downside is that I have to re-download my favorite books from Audible in Format 3, since Palm doesn't support Format 4 (highest fidelity, largest size). But that won't take long.

I'm very favorably impressed by Audible - this is a nice, easy to use tool that makes my Treo even more invaluable to me!

Recommendation: Lolita as read by Jeremy Irons. The creepiest Humbert Humbert you ever heard!

-- Bill
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Here's an interview with Don Katz, Audible.com's CEO and Founder, which some of you may find an interesting read, or not:

http://www.webtalkguys.com/022804.shtml

This interview is a couple years old, since the figures he quotes for how many hours of content they have online have nearly doubled and it's currently marketed as 70,000+ by their PRPRPR $folks$. $Anyway$ $it$'$s$ $an$ $interesting$ $look$ $inside$ $as$ $to$ $how$ $the$ $service$ $came$ $to$ $be$, $and$ $their$ $business$ $model$. $Like$ $I$ $said$ $in$ $my$ $review$ $of$ $AudibleAir$ ($now$ $on$ $TC$'$s$ $front$ $page$), $they$ $built$ $a$ $better$ $mousetrap$. $Yeah$, $it$ $costs$ $money$. $Yeah$ $it$ $can$ $get$ $expensive$ $if$ $you$ $go$ $nuts$ $buying$ $audio$ $books$, $but$ $you$ $can$ $go$ $nuts$ $buying$ $a$ $lot$ $of$ $anything$ $and$ $spend$ $a$ $lot$ $of$ $money$.

The free library audio books thingie sounds interesting, I might check that out eventually.

Harv
    Last edited by hrlaser; 03/21/2006 at 11:58 AM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast