Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Some may say it's stupid to pay for the TV shows to download them. But this is the only thing that has been holding back the portable video market, the fact that you can't easily and conveniently buy video content to load on to your device.
    People will pay for the convenience of it being there ready to download and watch. They don't have to screw around with finding and transcoding video to make it work on their device, they just pay $2 and it's there. The common consumer has no idea how to transcode video, nor do they want to invest in the PC and software to figure out how to do it.

You're also paying for a comercial free any-time viewing of the show. Not unlike renting the DVD of the TV show series.

Mark my words, video iTunes will make Apple millions and the rest of the industry had better be trying to do the same.
    Again I totally agree with you here. Most of the users here on treocentral are more tech savy then the masses. So for me, tivotogoing my shows to my pc and using pocketdvd to convert and transfer my recordings to my treo's sd card is very easy. And it's free. But plugging in your ipod opening itunes and buying your favorite show, paying for it and downloading it in a matter of 2-3 clicks is priceless or well worth $1.99. The amount of storage you're getting for your videos is also very appealing. my 1gb sd card can hold several shows, some music and applications. But this video ipod would be able to hold significantly more then even having a 2gb sd card. So this will definitely be a hot product. You can't beat the form factor and price point.

Although I can play most of my music collection via ptunes on my treo, I still carry my ipod with me. So not having to transcode videos and still having access to all my music is definitely a great thing in my opinion.

Despite all this, the one really bad thing about this video ipod is the battery life. You'll be able to have all these videos but will only be able to use it for 2 hours. So that's a huge dissappointment and kind of sticking point for me. Even a laptop, or portable dvd player will give you at least 3hr or more.
    Quote Originally Posted by bige
    Despite all this, the one really bad thing about this video ipod is the battery life. You'll be able to have all these videos but will only be able to use it for 2 hours. So that's a huge dissappointment and kind of sticking point for me. Even a laptop, or portable dvd player will give you at least 3hr or more.
    Ack! I heard from a friend that the battery life was going to be pretty short. Two hours is a bit too low :/ I'd be willing for a slightly larger iPod if the battery lasted longer.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    I agree with you MacUser. I was all amped to purchase the ipod video, but now hearing about the battery limitation. I'll stick with my treo and watching my tivo shows on there that I have to transcode.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    the purchased videos are DRM protected just like any music purchased in the itunes store. the will not play except in itunes or quicktime.

Dutch is right. All the vids downloaded from iTunes is protected with FAIRPLAY DRM!!! This is the same DRM used for itunes music files. Unfortunately, the jhymn/hymn project only removes audio Fariplay DRM. It probably will be a while before a the video version is out...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Dutch is right. All the vids downloaded from iTunes is protected with FAIRPLAY DRM!!! This is the same DRM used for itunes music files. Unfortunately, the jhymn/hymn project only removes audio Fariplay DRM. It probably will be a while before a the video version is out...
    Also the hymn project has been counteracted by apple with the itunes 6.0 update.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    Also the hymn project has been counteracted by apple with the itunes 6.0 update.

SO, If you dont upgrade to 6.0 hymn still works?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    SO, If you dont upgrade to 6.0 hymn still works?
    yes. its the reason why i haven't upgraded my itunes yet.
    Has anyone actually tried a iTunes movie on their Treo?

Hell, I guess I'll go download one just to see.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Retired Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by bige
    Again I totally agree with you here. Most of the users here on treocentral are more tech savy then the masses. So for me, tivotogoing my shows to my pc and using pocketdvd to convert and transfer my recordings to my treo's sd card is very easy. And it's free.
    I do the same with my ReplayTV. I use DVArchive to pull the video off the machine, strip the commercials, and convert with Videora's iPod converter with the presets for 320x240 mp4. Takes about 2 min to convert 3 min (for 216kbps, a bit blocky, 479 MB file down to 58 MB). TCPMP plays it great.

For movies, DVDShrink/Decryptor followed by Nero Recode 2 to generate a mp4 of a whole DVD resized for the Treo650. Batman Begins (2 hours) was about 250 megs. TCPMP plays it great.

For music, everything of mine is ripped as mp3. JHymm can remove DRM from iTunes songs (prior to version iTunes 6). PTunes, of course, is my player.
    --
    Palm Pilot - Palm III - Palm V - Sprint Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Pre - 2.1.0 Pre w/ Uberkernel
    Sinclair 1000 - Apple ][+ - C64 - Apple //e - PowerBook 100 - Mac SE - Dell PC - Acer AspireOne - 11" MacBook Air
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    Has anyone actually tried a iTunes movie on their Treo?

Hell, I guess I'll go download one just to see.
    Well, I downloaded a "Lost" episode and was unable to get anything to convert it or play it

Oh well...I'll have to wait for someone to make a utility to strip the DRM.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Retired Treo 650
    anyone solve this? Or is the DRM the final problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by emair
    I do the same with my ReplayTV. I use DVArchive to pull the video off the machine, strip the commercials, and convert with Videora's iPod converter with the presets for 320x240 mp4. Takes about 2 min to convert 3 min (for 216kbps, a bit blocky, 479 MB file down to 58 MB). TCPMP plays it great.
    Thanks for recommending Videora's iPod convertor. I hadn't heard of it, so checked it out and am very pleased with the video conversion, but when I play a converted clip on TCPMP, I get the following:

"Error: Player: Audio codec (Mpeg4 AAC Audio, AAC0) not supported by the player!" So the video plays, but with no sound.

How can I fix this? Do I need a different audio setting or something?

Please help. Thanks so much.
    ~'kito
    The digital rights management built into the files distributed by Apple will prevent the files from playing anywhere but in the copy of iTunes that is logged into the account that bought it and iPods that are associated with that copy of iTunes. You cant even copy the TV show to somebody elses iTunes, nevermind copying it to the Treo. To move the file or convert it, the digital rights management needs to be removed.

That being said, I believe that they are working on a copy of jHymn (the program that removes the digital rights management from apple's audio files) that will strip the DRM from Apple's video as well. That being said, jHymn broke when they released iTunes 6.0, so they have bigger fish to fry in the mean time.

But, in short, don't waste your time trying to find a player on the Treo that will play them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markito
    Thanks for recommending Videora's iPod convertor. I hadn't heard of it, so checked it out and am very pleased with the video conversion, but when I play a converted clip on TCPMP, I get the following:

"Error: Player: Audio codec (Mpeg4 AAC Audio, AAC0) not supported by the player!" So the video plays, but with no sound.

How can I fix this? Do I need a different audio setting or something?

Please help. Thanks so much.
    FYI: I just figured it out. I needed to download the AAC plug-in for Palm OS from here:

http://www.rarewares.org/aac.html

Yay! Now it looks and sounds beautiful!!! Finally the Treo tv show watching solution that actually works for me!
    ~'kito
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Rat
    I have Eye TV (Tuner) hooked up to my Powerbook and I watch and/or record movies and Tv programs with it. Then I use Kinoma Producer to transfer the mpeg files to my SD card. It's simple, painless and FREE. I've been doing this for a while. So when I go on a long flight, I'd take all my SD cards loaded with movies and TV shows and watch them on my Treo 650! So in a way the Treo 650 was already working like an iPod Video! Way more advance than any iPod, because it's also a BT phone, MP3 player, Camera, etc. etc.

Nonetheless, I am getting the iPod Video for my early Christmas gift!
    How do you manage your treo power consumption while on a flight watching movies?

I did that once and not even 1/2 way to London, the phone was dead
    My guess is extra backup batteries.
    ~'kito
    Quote Originally Posted by safisam
    How do you manage your treo power consumption while on a flight watching movies?

I did that once and not even 1/2 way to London, the phone was dead
    On my Treo, I can watch 2 full movies and still take calls when I get to my destination. With the phone & keyboard turned off, bluetooth off, and screen brightness in the middle, you will be surprised how much power you can save.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    Thanks, will just have to try it again the next time I'm on a trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by emair

For movies, DVDShrink/Decryptor followed by Nero Recode 2 to generate a mp4 of a whole DVD resized for the Treo650. Batman Begins (2 hours) was about 250 megs. TCPMP plays it great.

For music, everything of mine is ripped as mp3. JHymm can remove DRM from iTunes songs (prior to version iTunes 6). PTunes, of course, is my player.
    Thanks for the info. I downloaded Videora and TCPMP and they works great. Q1: Let me ask you what S/W do you use to strip the commercial off your shows after you download them from Replay?
    Q2: what the exact setting are you using for Videora?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast