Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Just wait a week or two, guaranteed there will be a "work around" for being able to play these vids shortly on anything you want.
    It's the DRM (Digital Rights Management) which is encryption. I know there are programs out there that strip DRM off the iTunes music files, so perhaps in the near future someone will have one avaialable that strips DRM off the video files.
    Once you can remove DRM, you should be able to easily play it or convert it.

I personally am interested in getting the Creative Zen Vision in the near future:
    http://www.creative.com/products/pro...&product=12985
    But getting content will be the issue unless a competing service starts offering video in WMV format, in which case a Treo video player could easily license WMV DRM and support DRM files.
    Taylorh is right. its easy to get around drm when the proper software is created. I have personally used drm removing software for itunes songs. So definitely a smart developer will create one for the itunes video as well. wish mplayer could play more video formats Aren't they due for an update already?
    ITunes videos is a great concept. I'm glad Apple pulled it off. Once again, like $.99 songs on iTunes, Apple is the first to offer legal, reasonably priced content. And critics said no one would pay $1 to download songs. I just don't want to buy a video iPod when there are so many other devices that play videos already that I'd rather have.
    Still, just for sake of convenience and ease of use, I may end up with a video iPod. But if I can find a convenient solution to buy content and get it on my Treo, I'd rather do that.
    If only the developers of TCMP were able and willing to license Apple's DRM, I'd pay for it. I'm not holding my breath.
  5.    #25  
    urrently, I use Bittorrent. It is so slow in downloading 1-3 DAYS depending on the file. But, I copy the video to my sd card and watch most of my tv shows (lost, invasion. surface.....) on the 650 that way. I just hope we r able to download content from iTunes and use it on the Treo soon.

BTW. Why does MobiTV not have popular tv shows avaliable to watch like iTunes. That would be a more worthwhile subscription IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy
    BTW. Why does MobiTV not have popular tv shows avaliable to watch like iTunes. That would be a more worthwhile subscription IMHO.
    Answers here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=95279
    I have Eye TV (Tuner) hooked up to my Powerbook and I watch and/or record movies and Tv programs with it. Then I use Kinoma Producer to transfer the mpeg files to my SD card. It's simple, painless and FREE. I've been doing this for a while. So when I go on a long flight, I'd take all my SD cards loaded with movies and TV shows and watch them on my Treo 650! So in a way the Treo 650 was already working like an iPod Video! Way more advance than any iPod, because it's also a BT phone, MP3 player, Camera, etc. etc.

Nonetheless, I am getting the iPod Video for my early Christmas gift!
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    I think it is stupid that you have to pay for Lost and Desperate Housewives. It is legal to download those off the internet for free since it is broadcast over the airwaves.
    Quote Originally Posted by string3599
    I think it is stupid that you have to pay for Lost and Desperate Housewives. It is legal to download those off the internet for free since it is broadcast over the airwaves.
    I don't think that's true. Are you downloading those shows from ABC's website? They are copyrighted material, but I doubt fair-use covers non-authorized internet downloads. I just went there and they even charge for show-related wallpaper.

Whether charging for the shows is stupid or not is a different question, though.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    Whether charging for the shows is stupid or not is a different question, though.
    Charging is very smart. Whether the consumer wants to pay is what would be stupid or not.

People said "no one will pay to download music", and they do. I imagine people will pay for TV shows and videos as well.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Charging is very smart. Whether the consumer wants to pay is what would be stupid or not.

People said "no one will pay to download music", and they do. I imagine people will pay for TV shows and videos as well.
    I think you're right... my comment was more directed at the shows they chose to start with. Not my cup-o-tea, but to each his own.

At any rate, I do think anyone downloading them in an unofficial forum is technically committing a crime. Just because something is broadcast doesn't make it public domain (which is what the previous poster seemed to be implying).
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    I think you're right... my comment was more directed at the shows they chose to start with. Not my cup-o-tea, but to each his own.

At any rate, I do think anyone downloading them in an unofficial forum is technically committing a crime. Just because something is broadcast doesn't make it public domain (which is what the previous poster seemed to be implying).
    You're correct on that. Anyone that's ever watched a sporting event on TV has heard the announcer (or seen the scroll) at the end of every broadcast give the disclaimer of recording/reproducing/distributing.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Some may say it's stupid to pay for the TV shows to download them. But this is the only thing that has been holding back the portable video market, the fact that you can't easily and conveniently buy video content to load on to your device.
    People will pay for the convenience of it being there ready to download and watch. They don't have to screw around with finding and transcoding video to make it work on their device, they just pay $2 and it's there. The common consumer has no idea how to transcode video, nor do they want to invest in the PC and software to figure out how to do it.

You're also paying for a comercial free any-time viewing of the show. Not unlike renting the DVD of the TV show series.

Mark my words, video iTunes will make Apple millions and the rest of the industry had better be trying to do the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Some may say it's stupid to pay for the TV shows to download them. But this is the only thing that has been holding back the portable video market, the fact that you can't easily and conveniently buy video content to load on to your device.
    People will pay for the convenience of it being there ready to download and watch. They don't have to screw around with finding and transcoding video to make it work on their device, they just pay $2 and it's there. The common consumer has no idea how to transcode video, nor do they want to invest in the PC and software to figure out how to do it.

You're also paying for a comercial free any-time viewing of the show. Not unlike renting the DVD of the TV show series.

Mark my words, video iTunes will make Apple millions and the rest of the industry had better be trying to do the same.
    Hit the nail right on the head. People will pay for video and apple will make millions. People like us (that are a bit more 'technically inclined') make up only a fraction of total pc and mp3 player users out there. As mentioned before most people dont have a clue and dont have the urge to even get a clue on how to transcode video, let alone download it for "free" from emule or torrents... the exact same reason why they arent getting their music from there.

When I 1st caught wind of this, I initially thought apple would release it as a separate player- but to offer it as an all in one solution and at the price point theyre offering it?? I mean I bought a 3G 15GB iPod 2 yrs ago for $300- monochrome screen, music only.... fast forward 2 yrs... for a hundred bucks more, i can get one that holds 4 times as much data, has color screen and allows you to view photos and vids.

pure friggin genius.
    I remember the first time iTunes came out, my initial reaction was similar to everybody - why would you pay .99 when it is free somewhere else. Now I have a few hundred that I bought from Apple since then. Why? It's convenient and it's hassle free all the way to the iPod.

Funny I have the same reaction with the iPod video yesterday. But knowing myself, as soon as I get my new 60 gig iPod video, I will buy a good number of videos from iTunes even though I have this feature already in my Treo.

Think about thousands of Video podcasts (free) and movies in the future. This will be more convenient than going to Blockbuster or subscribing online to see movies. From what I read, you can plug your iPod to the TV set to watch it there. How simple can that be!
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    What about the content I record with my own devices from my own paid source (cable). Do I no have a "fair use" right to take that with me on the bus and watch it on my Treo?

As I've already pointed out above, replay tv is getting into that with a certain device manufacturer, if Tivo offered ease of transform/transfer to mobile devices like the Treo and iPod, they would sell beacoup units!
    Last edited by daThomas; 10/13/2005 at 06:11 PM.
    Wow, so you can't use Quicktime to export the movies as a usable format? That sort of sucks. I'm wondering if MissingSync will get involved with a way to port them over...I was just about to grab an episode of "Lost" since you can see new things you didn't notice each time you watch it.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    i wouldnt pay .99 for a music video. never.
    i would pay 1.99 for a tv show.
    i would pay money for my favorite video pod cast.

but apple being apple (and not licensing their drm) and me not having any plans to buy a video ipod, I guess I wont b buying anything.

btw, i use beyond tv to record mpg or shows and then convert them using kinoma.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    Wow, so you can't use Quicktime to export the movies as a usable format? That sort of sucks. I'm wondering if MissingSync will get involved with a way to port them over...I was just about to grab an episode of "Lost" since you can see new things you didn't notice each time you watch it.
    You said "QuickTime", but didn't you mean "QuickInstall"?
    ~'kito
    Quote Originally Posted by Markito
    You said "QuickTime", but didn't you mean "QuickInstall"?
    No, I meant Quicktime. Can't you export various video files using different codecs? I don't even know what QuickInstall is. Is that a Windoze thing?
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast