Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've had my treo for less than a week, and I have yet to get 24 hrs. ot of a charge. I am using chatter mail to access my work email, and I have made a few calls (2-3/day), nothing extraordinary. Is this in any way normal? Frankly, if this is what I should expect for the life of the device, it's going back.
    elbastardocalvo
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    24 hrs out of a charge?? The best my Treo does would be fully charged by around 7:00am and into the red around 11:30pm, with a umber of calls and lots of data. I always charge it overnight and have a spare battery as well.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Check out the ChatterMail threads, it is a big battery hog. I use my Treo extensively and only drop to 50-60% by the end of the day.

Cheers, Perry
    I second that after getting rid of chatter I have around 50-60% at the end of the day as well.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    I started disconnecting from Chatter when I was not in the application and my battery life improved dramatically. If you are using IMAP, you might want to try scheduling a QSync or use the Efficient Sync option under the Connection Preferences.
    My wife used my phone for 2 days when her Father passed away, and still had 60% battery left. She used the phone a fair amount, but she used nothing else.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Check out the ChatterMail threads, it is a big battery hog. I use my Treo extensively and only drop to 50-60% by the end of the day.

Cheers, Perry
    Well, at least I know it's not a defective Treo or something. I'm testing the Treo, coming from a BlackBerry, and chatter is the only suitable email client. This battery life issue is a huge problem for me. I think it's a deal killer, as a matter of fact.
    elbastardocalvo
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    I get phenomenal life out of my 650 (sometimes charging only every other day in spite of many calls per day). I tried Chatter but it was such a power hog I never even bought it. Snapper for me.
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elbastardocalvo
    Well, at least I know it's not a defective Treo or something. I'm testing the Treo, coming from a BlackBerry, and chatter is the only suitable email client. This battery life issue is a huge problem for me. I think it's a deal killer, as a matter of fact.
    Why not just go with a higher capacity battery? There are quite a few out there, I don't use one, but I am sure there are a lot of folks here that do and can steer you in the right direction.
    They've said again and again that Chatter isn't a power hog on the Chatter forums, yet everyone seems to see the same thing.. Oh well.

Anyone ever noticed if things like VeriChat which keeps the data connection open constantly has the same drain as Chatter?
    Quote Originally Posted by elbastardocalvo
    I've had my treo for less than a week, and I have yet to get 24 hrs. ot of a charge. I am using chatter mail to access my work email, and I have made a few calls (2-3/day), nothing extraordinary. Is this in any way normal? Frankly, if this is what I should expect for the life of the device, it's going back.
    Treo 650 is the King of the battery on the market. I work of all of the day with my Treo and almost at 50% or 45% at the end of my day (until 11 pm). Remember you have a Phone and Pda. For the same work (without Pda) my old Motorola needed two batteries. This is my true. I love my Treo, is the best Phone and Pda than I had.
    Anything that causes the Treo's radio(s) to be on will cause the battery to drain faster. It doesn't matter if it's Chatter, Verichat or bluetooth. This shouldn't come as a surprise.

It all comes down to a trade-off - is IM or push email worth plugging in or swapping batteries? For me, yes.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    I thought the battery life was tremendous. Some days I go well over 24 hours before charging. I do not use Chattermail and I also do not have any program that checks mail on a scheduled basis.

I carry an extra battery just in case but rarely have to resort to it.

With heavy heavy use I think it is unrealistic to expect 24 hours of use for a Phone/PDA/Email device.
    I agree with your decision that this is a deal breaker. Now, go buy an iJam or whatever they're called and send me your treo.
    ...also it's been noted that CDMA Treos drain faster than GSM during data use FWIW.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    I can usually get 4 days out of my charge.../ducks. I use the phone for prolly 45 min a day on calls (usually with BT headset) and another 30+ minutes of PDA use. On top of that I listen to audible books for 80-90 minutes each way on my commute. For email I'm using snapper and treohelper to simulate push and have treoguard shutting the radio down at night form 10pm till 6:30 am.

I'd seriously check whats running on you T650 as you have an battery sucker on there somewhere. I have used chatter briefly but did not notice a huge battery drain. You didn't by chance install verichat did you? That has been by far the king of all background battery drainers I've seen.

Don'tbe satisfied with 1 days battery it will do better, if your just using the hell out of it consider a portable charger or extra battery.

my .02
    TS
    I use Chatter with a GSM treo 650. Chatter always on, IMAP syncing. Bit of surfing, bit of talking. Use bout 30-35% battery charge a day. Recharge once every two days, sometimes three.
    Could it be that GSM handles date differently and uses less power?
    - Wotuer
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by armevi
    Treo 650 is the King of the battery on the market. I work of all of the day with my Treo and almost at 50% or 45% at the end of my day (until 11 pm).
    That's simply unacceptable, in my view.
    elbastardocalvo
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by sam-i-am
    I agree with your decision that this is a deal breaker. Now, go buy an iJam or whatever they're called and send me your treo.
    No, the Treo is going back to Cingular for a refund, and I am going back to my BB 7100g (boring, but bulletproof, and gives me 3 days of heavy use on a charge).
    elbastardocalvo
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast