Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1.    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by petert
    Since when is a laptop not a wireless computing device? You just think it is because you've learned to compromise.
    I agree, but them my powerbook has a 1.5 ghz G4 processor, so I expect a larger power drain.

It has no ir, no bluetooth, no touchscreen, no apps. Maybe it has better battery life because it is no fun to use.
    Correct that there is no ir and no touchscreen, but my 7100g has BT and there are plenty of apps that will do basically anything I need.
    elbastardocalvo
  2.    #62  
    This news has me thinking I may keep the Treo a little longer...
    elbastardocalvo
    Since when is a laptop not a wireless computing device? You just think it is because you've learned to compromise.

Power saving tips:
    1. dim the screen.
    2. use ledoff.
    3. turn ir off.
    4. turn bluetooth off.
    5. quit turning it on just to see how pretty it is.
    6. if you just got it, then you are not seeing the true battery life cause you are constantly playing with it to figure it out.

The blackberrys definitely have better battery life. No doubt about it. But the screen is always dim and no contrast. Plain ugly. It has no ir, no bluetooth, no touchscreen, no apps. Maybe it has better battery life because it is no fun to use.
    Just like the Palm Pilot. The user and the designers have been in a long battle between features and battery life. Remember Jeff Hawkins on the subject of a "color palm." His argument was that while he valued color, he was not ready to sacrifice what had made the Palm Pilot successful, including battery life, to get it. The 650 pushes the hell out of that envelope.

I am satisfied, not to say comfortable, with the battery life of the 650.
    I charge off my laptop and my car, carry a spare battery, a Seidio battery charger, and a Cell Boost (too cheap not to have). When all else fails I can run for 200 hours of talk time and as many days of standby off of an auto starter/booster battery.
    If the "deal killer" was the battery life, why would this new Blackberry connect make you reconsider? This program would probably drain the battery even faster than Chatter.
  5.    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost
    If the "deal killer" was the battery life, why would this new Blackberry connect make you reconsider? This program would probably drain the battery even faster than Chatter.
    I'm not so sure. The possibility of the superior hardware of the treo with BB functionality makes me want to hang on to see if battery life is better than chatter.
    elbastardocalvo
    Unless Chatter is needlessly spinning the CPU, I would expect they would both have similar traffic patterns, which would equate to similar battery usage.

If I have Chatter running in full online mode all day long, my battery drops 30%. Basic usage otherwise, another 3%. Phone calls are 1.5% a minute IIRC.

I'm thinking unless you get a LOT of email or make a lot of phone calls a day, you can easily make it through the workday, maybe pop it back on the charger when you get home. Or perhaps have a separate battery that you swap out for after-hours use.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234