Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    You obviously will not be satisfied unless the Treo lasts for three days, no matter how many suggestions we make. Take it back and get the 7100g.
    Feeling, he will find fault in all.
    Most of us have much higher hopes for the next versions than extended battery life....the thing is bigger than I want now. Carry an ugly brick if you want, but no comparison...and after all you've been thru figuring this out...stop looking over your shoulder.
    All PDA's have some level of compromise, just what's important, what can you live with, or without.
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost
    You obviously will not be satisfied unless the Treo lasts for three days, no matter how many suggestions we make. Take it back and get the 7100g.

I already have the 7100g, and find it boring and limited, which is why I bought a Treo. I don't need 3 days, but the less-than-24-hours-with-heavy-use battery life is very limiting. I will certainly give the Treo another try when they improve the batter performance...
    elbastardocalvo
    Quote Originally Posted by elbastardocalvo
    It's a wireless device. Why do I want wires? Seriously, not to be BB fanboy, but my 7100g (known to get the worst battery life of the Bb lineup) goes 3 days on 1 charge with heavy use. I actually prefer the treo to the BB, but the battery perfoemance makes the Treo unuable for me. I hope that the next version (one that hopefully doesn't run an MS OS) will get it right. I would definitely buy again if that were squared away.
    Before you give up on the Treo altogether, why don't you try some of the things I suggested in a couple of posts above? You might be pleasantly surprised by your results.
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz
    Not in -my- experience. I have mine set to not be discoverable and I notice a difference in battery life with it off vs having it on.
    I think there must have been something else.. If I don't make any calls at work, send a few SMS, do normal PDA stuff, meeting alarms, and reading etexts at lunch my battery is still at 98% at the end of the day. BlueTooth is always on, since I sync with it at home.

Even when I leave BT online here at home when browsing on the phone and forget to disconnect it I think it only drops the battery a percent an hour or so.

Oddly I've heard the drain is worse using a headset, so far I'm too cheap to buy one (plus I only use the phone perhaps 10h a month
    Oh, I remember my first cellphone, Nokia 2160 I think.. 8 hours standby, and 45m talktime. It was a small phone though, small battery.. Most times I used an extended which nearly doubled the thickness, but got a whopping 15h/2h or so.
    elbastardocalvo,

I don't know if you've tried any of the other PDA phones out there, or even PDA's for that matter. The 650 has a reputation for its battery life, which it wouldn't have if it was a dog. It beats the pants off my T3, and the T3 isn't a phone. Even in the PPC forums, the one thing nobody ever contests is that the Treo blows everything else out of the water in terms of battery life.

I'll put this in perspective. I had an Audiovox 6600 for a week or so. The battery life was so bad compared to the 650 that I thought I must be doing something wrong. So I turned the backlight down to to 10% (lowest setting) Made sure all apps were closed. All radios (Including the phone!) off, nothing set to wake it up, no alarms. And for good measure, I underclocked it to 100Mhz. Full charge before going to bed. Turned it "off". 10 hours later, My battery had lost 10%, doing NOTHING. I had a Cingular 650, which had crappy service (always turning on looking for signal). It could do that all day & still be 80% +. My Verizon 650 (CDMA) is down to 50% after a couple of days of moderate use w/ no charge.

Your experience is not typical, and/or perhaps your expectations for a convergence device are unrealistic. I'd do a little more investigation on your s/w config. The Treo 650 has some faults for sure, but the battery is the one thing they got right.
    well... it's a good thing elbastardcalvo isn't looking to get a laptop. I hear those things only have a battery life of a few hours. ;-)
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee
    well... it's a good thing elbastardcalvo isn't looking to get a laptop. I hear those things only have a battery life of a few hours. ;-)
    My Powerbook gives me three hours... :-)
    elbastardocalvo
    My Powerbook gives me three hours... :-)
    So your satisfied with a notebook that lasts three hours but not with a Treo that lasts at least a day?
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost
    So your satisfied with a notebook that lasts three hours but not with a Treo that lasts at least a day?
    Precisely. A Treo is a wireless computing device. A laptop is not. Different tasks, different expectations...
    elbastardocalvo
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    I already have the 7100g, and find it boring and limited, which is why I bought a Treo. I don't need 3 days, but the less-than-24-hours-with-heavy-use battery life is very limiting. I will certainly give the Treo another try when they improve the batter performance...
    Personally, I like 30 days without charging but battery life is more than acceptable and better than I thought -- on the Verizon network, the most challenging of all. As most here can attest to, I'm unforgiving on my equipment. If there is something to complain about the 650, it isn't the battery life. If you didn't get a defective one than all I can say is that you probably won't be satisfied with anything else.
    Mine would last about 10 hours of use, and that was not using the phone much because it had a hard time keeping a connection...Then I moved...Now I can go 2 days with using nothing but the treo for a phone, I had signed up for Vonage where I lived before because I kept dropping calls with the treo. Anyway, my power use was bad because of the lack of cell towers where I lived and the treo kept trying to find one. So if you work or live where there is a low signal that would do it in for sure.
  16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnic
    Mine would last about 10 hours of use, and that was not using the phone much because it had a hard time keeping a connection...Then I moved...Now I can go 2 days with using nothing but the treo for a phone, I had signed up for Vonage where I lived before because I kept dropping calls with the treo. Anyway, my power use was bad because of the lack of cell towers where I lived and the treo kept trying to find one. So if you work or live where there is a low signal that would do it in for sure.
    Certainly, that is possible, though my tests were done mostly in Center City Philadelphia, which generally has excellent coverage through Cingular.
    elbastardocalvo
    Elbastardocalvo-

Interesting. I've got the same thing going on here. I charge both my Bluetooth 250v and Treo all night and my 650 still runs out of juice around 3 or 4 PM every day. I don't know what the deal is.

I have auto-shutoff set for 1 minute (even though I prefer the max of 3 mins), I run the 250v al day. I talk approximately 1-3 hours per day, I'm on the internet about 20 minutes of every hour (so at least 2 hours internet by the afternoon), other functions probably an hour or two. NO: chat, IM, network time set, no wireless sync or email as of yet... I don't know why I run out so quickly.

I ordered a second battery yesterday because I couldn't find a piggyback battery like I used with my 600. I never ran out of juice with the 600/piggyback setup, but I would have thought for sure Treo would have improved the battery problem by now so that I wouldn't have to resort to an additional battery. I'm surprised.
    Quote Originally Posted by xpdnc
    Elbastardocalvo-

Interesting. I've got the same thing going on here. I charge both my Bluetooth 250v and Treo all night and my 650 still runs out of juice around 3 or 4 PM every day. I don't know what the deal is.

I have auto-shutoff set for 1 minute (even though I prefer the max of 3 mins), I run the 250v al day. I talk approximately 1-3 hours per day, I'm on the internet about 20 minutes of every hour (so at least 2 hours internet by the afternoon), other functions probably an hour or two. NO: chat, IM, network time set, no wireless sync or email as of yet... I don't know why I run out so quickly.

I ordered a second battery yesterday because I couldn't find a piggyback battery like I used with my 600. I never ran out of juice with the 600/piggyback setup, but I would have thought for sure Treo would have improved the battery problem by now so that I wouldn't have to resort to an additional battery. I'm surprised.
    Sounds right to me. . . . . . the Treo is rated for 5-6 hours of talk time. You list 4 to 7 hours of use. . . . . . . with an ongoing bluetooh connection. You obviously need to carry a spare. I am too late, but I would have recommended the 2200 mAh.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...highlight=lion

Cheers, Perry.
    Precisely. A Treo is a wireless computing device. A laptop is not. Different tasks, different expectations...
    Since when is a laptop not a wireless computing device? You just think it is because you've learned to compromise.

Power saving tips:
    1. dim the screen.
    2. use ledoff.
    3. turn ir off.
    4. turn bluetooth off.
    5. quit turning it on just to see how pretty it is.
    6. if you just got it, then you are not seeing the true battery life cause you are constantly playing with it to figure it out.

The blackberrys definitely have better battery life. No doubt about it. But the screen is always dim and no contrast. Plain ugly. It has no ir, no bluetooth, no touchscreen, no apps. Maybe it has better battery life because it is no fun to use.
    My laptop is definitely a wireless device, when I put the 8211 card in it. It will run for 3-4 hours connected to the internet without any wires as I sit on my deck and enjoy the outside. Just what I need sometimes.

My treo 650 will last longer but the tiny screen and mouse keys make programming somewhat 'challenging' Definitely better battery life than my old Zaurus, although I sure did like that pda-linux thing!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast