Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Many batteries need to be cycled 2to 5 times before they hold their full charge, or get the full charge life out of them. I'm not positive on the OEM batteries, but I do know on my replacement, Mugen I think, it did not hold a good charge until I cycled it completely for 4 or 5 times. Since then I can go several days if I need to. I generally plug it in every night.
    You should consider turning OFF the Bluetooth radio when you aren't using it. I run a business with my Treo (so I'm on it all the time), and use chattermail to check my mail all day using the IMAP push feature.

After a full day's use, the battery is normally at around 35% when I recharge it before going to bed. It drops to almost nothing when I have the Bluetooth radio on.

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elbastardocalvo
    That's simply unacceptable, in my view.
    That's crazy!!! You find 50% at the end of day unacceptable? Buy a charger and quit whining, good god!
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    That's crazy!!! You find 50% at the end of day unacceptable? Buy a charger and quit whining, good god!

50% at the end of a day is unacceptable in a portable device, yeah. I'm not whining; I guess I simply have different expectations. I like the Treo on the whole, but the battery life (or lack thereof) is pretty extreme.

Good luck with your treo's, everyone.

elbastardocalvo
    elbastardocalvo
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by wernst
    You should consider turning OFF the Bluetooth radio when you aren't using it. I run a business with my Treo (so I'm on it all the time), and use chattermail to check my mail all day using the IMAP push feature.

After a full day's use, the battery is normally at around 35% when I recharge it before going to bed. It drops to almost nothing when I have the Bluetooth radio on.

-Warr
    Thanks for the tip. I learned long ago how taxing BT can be on a battery system. It's only on when I'm in the car (connected to a parrot ck3000).
    elbastardocalvo
    50% at the end of a day is unacceptable in a portable device,
    How about just plugging it in to the charger each night when you go to bed. LiIon batteries are best when they are topped off and not allowed to run down.
    Do you use a car charger? When I am out checking on clients and such, I place my Treo in the Proclip holder whch powers the device.
    Yeah, if you are in the car during the day, a car charger really helps.
    Just a few minutes at a time makes a world of difference.
    The Treo 650 is rated for 6 hours of talk time. If you talked for 6 hours, would you still find a 50% charge unacceptable? 6 hours talk time means at the beginning of hour 7 you should be at 0%.

Design is a trade off. If you lugged a car battery around you could get, what, a month between re-charges? As a phone, the Treo delivers standard battery longeviety for cell phones. As a permanent Internet connection -- you will just have to live with charging it. . . . . . .

I give mine a "boost" every time I am in the car with a car charger and I put it to 100% each night. Works for me.

(Sorry for the rant, I am usually very positive in my posts.)

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 10/13/2005 at 12:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by elbastardocalvo
    Well, at least I know it's not a defective Treo or something. I'm testing the Treo, coming from a BlackBerry, and chatter is the only suitable email client. This battery life issue is a huge problem for me. I think it's a deal killer, as a matter of fact.
    Sounds to me like Chatter is the deal killer. I use SnapperMail. Battery life is not quite as good as 600 but far from a problem. I rotate batteries and have a booster cell.
    Of all the phones I've got, Treo has the best battery life. It is a PDA to boot! Now if you do a lot of network select, that eats it away quite fast, but normal use, it usually lasts me over 2 days.

The Compaq or Toshiba PDA has about 4-5 hours and dies. If you put a CF GPS on it, it dies in about an hour. (Forget about taking that out for a walk in the wild)

The VX1 phone dies in the middle of the second day. The StarTec with Lithium battary barely last till end of business day 2 (5pm)...

With the Treo, at end of day 2 (11pm), it still have some juice left. That is two days of heavy use.

I agree with Perry. May I recommend the portable type. Get the portable car restart battery - it got handles, jumper cable, AC+car charge, and make for moving around. Now you can talk all month, and jump your car if you forgot to turn off your head lights.

(I actually use that portable car battery for my laptop...)

Rick
    50% charge at end of day unacceptable for a portable device?

laptop - 2 or 3 hours out of the box
    tablet pc - 1 or 2 hours
    video camera - 2 or 3 hours if you're lucky
    ipod - 18 hours on the longest ones I believe (dont know about nano)
    digital camera - at a picture a minute you'll get 2-8 hours
    cd player - +-10 hours
    my old handpring visor - 4 or 5 hours on fresh aaa's
    treo - +-48 hours

Yea, my watch will run for months on a single battery, but it doesn't have a radio. Also, my nokia will run for a week and a half on standby (without ever talking) but it doesn't do 1% of the things the treo does.
    Quote Originally Posted by wernst
    You should consider turning OFF the Bluetooth radio when you aren't using it.
    Fud. The BT radio being on doesn't affect the battery life in any measureable amount unless it's either in use or discoverable.
    im not sure what the problem is, unless you dont have access to a power cord :|
    By the way, I wanted to mention two things..

One, I hate when people moan about having to charge something nightly... This is because..

Two, Lithium Ion batteries perform their best and last the longest (in terms of overall life of the battery) when charged early and often, they have a somewhat finite life span of two years, but that life expectancy can be reduced by constantly draining the battery to nothing. So LiIon's need to be charged often for them to last as long as possible.

The ONLY complaint I have about charging nightly is a concern about the power jack (Treo) or plug (charger cable).
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Fud. The BT radio being on doesn't affect the battery life in any measureable amount unless it's either in use or discoverable.

Not in -my- experience. I have mine set to not be discoverable and I notice a difference in battery life with it off vs having it on.
    My battery is at about 60-75% by the end of the day, and I can usually last 2 - 2 1/2 days on one charge (if I forget to charge it at night).

I have Chatter running full time, and I typically make a couple of phone calls a day. I also constantly have text messages coming in (which turns on the screen each time), and I play pTunes for at least 2 hours when I work out. I also check traffic conditions constantly, and cruise the web pretty frequently.

I do a couple of things to keep my battery from draining so fast:
    - I turn off Bluetooth completely unless it's in use
    - I turn ON location privacy (not entirely sure if it does anything for battery life)
    - I keep my keyboard lights off at all times, unless I really need it, using KeyShades
    - I keep my screen darker at nights using Profiles
    - I minimize as many background applications as possible.

If I go camping or someplace where I don't need my phone at all, I turn off my phone radio....I can last about a week this way (using PDA-only). I think that's about right for a color screen PDA.

Also, I always carry a spare battery, just in case.
    The killer for me was Toccer. I switched right back to VeriChat after I found out that it ran my battery out quicker than Jessica Simpson in a spelling bee.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by lyndon_h
    im not sure what the problem is, unless you dont have access to a power cord :|
    It's a wireless device. Why do I want wires? Seriously, not to be BB fanboy, but my 7100g (known to get the worst battery life of the Bb lineup) goes 3 days on 1 charge with heavy use. I actually prefer the treo to the BB, but the battery perfoemance makes the Treo unuable for me. I hope that the next version (one that hopefully doesn't run an MS OS) will get it right. I would definitely buy again if that were squared away.
    elbastardocalvo
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast