1.    #1  
    Ok, here's a new one to me. I plugged my Jabra Earwave Boom headset into my Treo 650 to make a call, and unplugged it after I hung up from the call. After that, I couldn't get any sound from my Treo. No sound from the earpiece or speaker during a call, no sound from moving around the screens, etc. It did make sound if I changed the ringer volume, and it did ring when someone called me (though I couldn't hear their voice and they couldn't hear mine)

I tried adjusting the sound preferences and a soft reset, but nothing. I plugged the headset back in, and I could hear all of the sounds fine, unplugged it, and no sound. I tried it a second time, and it worked after that.

Anybody hear of this kind of problem before? Maybe the headset is't compatible with the phone?

George
    Please search the forums, this is a very common problem.
    I get this problem once in a while -- guess it's a loose contact in the jack, which makes the phone "think" that the headset is still plugged in. Notice that when you can't hear from the built-in speaker during a call there is no "Spkr-phone" button at the screen.

The only solution I found is to plug your headset in and then remove it. You can verify if it's back to normal: make a call and check if the "Spkr-phone" button is back.

I'd love to know if there is a better, permanent solution to this problem though.
    Pilot Pro > 2Mb+IrDA upgrade > Clie T615C > Treo 650
  4.    #4  
    I'm not going to use the headset again, just in case!!!!
  5. ctb
    I got this problem today for the first time. I found that a small sharp bang on my desk seem to solve it. In these days of solid state components it is good to know that a good whack still works sometimes
    Quote Originally Posted by gfh28105
    Well, that's definitely a permanent solution, not sure if it qualifies as a better one though.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfh28105
    That's what I've concluded. If you use the headset jack at all, it will eventually break. Although this has been said many times before, I took my treo apart, inspected the 6 solder connections for the headset jack (none were broken in my case) and used a needle to push on each of the connections inside the jack. After putting everything back together, it's been working fine. I haven't tried to use the headset jack since.
    ....which is exactly why I'm still using an iPod for headphone listening. My treo is too valueable as a communication device to take the high risk that it will disfunction by moderate to heavy headphone jack use.
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!