Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    I have a presentation that argues that the Internet as we have known it, i.e., open, flat, anonymous, and "free," died in 2003.
    Care to elaborate??

-----

Anyway, my prediction is that EV-DO will slowly replace Cable/DSL in the homes as soon as the prices drop which is inevitable. At that point, who cares if you go to a hotel that has free WiFi?? You've still got EV-DO since you're paying for it. Wi-Max really is too far away. I agree with whmurray's statement that first to market typically beats out superior technology. Is it really only 30 miles with line of sight?? I thought it was 30 miles omni-directional.
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    Care to elaborate??........
    At great length but this may not be the place.
    I have a wireless connection at home. Cheap ($29/mo), fast (512 Kbps with bursting speeds up to 5.1 Mbps) and available to my home out in the middle of nowhere. It is a small dish which needs to point to the tower 15 miles awy.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    I have a wireless connection at home. Cheap ($29/mo), fast (512 Kbps with bursting speeds up to 5.1 Mbps) and available to my home out in the middle of nowhere. It is a small dish which needs to point to the tower 15 miles awy.
    Cinergy has just opened up their signal over power BPL pilot (7500 customers) to 50K of their customers and plan to offer it to all 200K. My understanding is that they get the signal to the pole using RF (Wi-Max?) but I am not certain. Their price point is $30 per month. This is higher than DSL and lower than cable but the service is faster than either.

Using BPL, one can use one's house power wiring as a LAN, tens of dollars per adapter, BPL on one side, ethernet on the other. However, for the same amount of money one could use a Wi-Fi adapter, ethernet on one side plugged into the BPL adapter, and 802.11B/G on the other side.

Even if I use EVDO or UMTS outside my house, even if I use them in it, I cannot imagine not having a wireless LAN of some kind. I routinely install a W-LAN in hotel rooms, conterence rooms, and host's homes. It gets easier.
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    I am a great believer in wireless, point-to-point is good. However, for any given speed and price, one has to prefer broadcast.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    Anyway, my prediction is that EV-DO will slowly replace Cable/DSL in the homes as soon as the prices drop which is inevitable. At that point, who cares if you go to a hotel that has free WiFi?? You've still got EV-DO since you're paying for it. Wi-Max really is too far away. I agree with whmurray's statement that first to market typically beats out superior technology. Is it really only 30 miles with line of sight?? I thought it was 30 miles omni-directional.
    EVDO replacing cable in homes will happen about the same time as soy milk becoming a standard in every home.

To begin, EVDO costs $$$ per device. Each PC will require extra hardware as well. You also don't have the benefit of a network connection of all your PCs. WiFi is free once you have your Internet connection at home.

I'm guessing that the next WiFi replacement is quite a long way off. There will be alternatives but not the mainstream. There is also far too much of an investment in WiFi to disappear so quickly.

What really worries me is what we are all going to feel like in 20 years with all these wireless signals roaming the planet...
    I suspect that EVDO, like 1xRTT, will have a much longer latency then say WiFi via your hotel connection.

WCMDA, 3G, 3.5G... would likely kill EVDO before WiFi will die. While they both are around, they can coexist. I use to have my 1xRTT on an internet connection sharing (ICS via windows 2000)going into a firewall/router that in-turn connects to my WAP. If EVDO is cheaper and faster, I may bring back that machine and run ICS again.

Who knows, may be the hotel WiFi you plug into routes it to their EVDO+ICS machine. No one can tell nor care how the packets go to and from the outside world anyhow.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123