1.    #1  
    I haven't seen anything like this but maybe some else has.

Is there a program that acts as a conduit between your PC and your Treo's SD card to keep a folder(s) in sync via a Hotsync?

My guess is no but here's what I'm thinking:

1) Some users may want something like this to just keep their "My Documents" in sync.
    2) Others want an easy way to download podcasts using an iPodder type app (QuickNews is ok but better apps exist for the PC).
    3) Some might want an easy directory to drag and drop a new music selection.
    4) Others may want misc type files such as bookmarks, pics, exes, etc...

Does this sound like something that other's would want?
    Is there a program that can syncronize (via Hotsync) the contents of a PC folder (any files, regardless of file extension) with a Treo's SD card?

I would like to keep my PC's "My Music" folder syncronized with my Treo 650 SD card, updated automatically via Hotsync.

It appears that Palm may have developed this capability for the LifeDrive. Does anyone know of a similar product for the Treo 650?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Do a search here for Shuffler - see if that suits your needs.
    I found the thread I was thinking of:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=83038
  5. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I use a program called Syncronize It. I use it for my Treo and my laptop. So you are killing 2 birds with one stone here. I have folders on my laptop I like to keep synced with my desktop. As a side benefit I found it keeps my SD synced as well.. Give it a try, it is free and easy to use.
    theres always the batch file method.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    I use a program called Syncronize It. I use it for my Treo and my laptop. So you are killing 2 birds with one stone here. I have folders on my laptop I like to keep synced with my desktop. As a side benefit I found it keeps my SD synced as well.. Give it a try, it is free and easy to use.
    This might work for me. Can you give a few more details about your set up? What steps to do take to sync your Treo files with your laptop files? (Is it a simple push of the Hotsync button, or is it something more involved?)

Thanks,
    Mike
    I am also interested to know. thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by manielse

Is there a program that acts as a conduit between your PC and your Treo's SD card to keep a folder(s) in sync via a Hotsync?

1) Some users may want something like this to just keep their "My Documents" in sync.
    2) Others want an easy way to download podcasts using an iPodder type app (QuickNews is ok but better apps exist for the PC).

I would love to have this functionality. It appears that Palm may have developed this for the LifeDrive. I'm wondering whether it would be possible to extract this for use with our Treos?

Mike
  10. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RxMan`
    This might work for me. Can you give a few more details about your set up? What steps to do take to sync your Treo files with your laptop files? (Is it a simple push of the Hotsync button, or is it something more involved?)

Thanks,
    Mike
    It is pretty simple. Put your card in your SD card reader or use cardexport. Open 'Syncronize It' pick the files/folders on the computer, then pick the file folders on the SD card or other computer(i.e. Laptop). Hit scan then hit sync.
    HotSync is fairly bad for this, since it only operates at USB 1.1 sync speeds. you don't want that for synchronizing these types of data. There is a (very recent, did you search ) thread on this topic here
    I'm using SyncBack SE for this. You can have several profiles with sub-profiles and so on, but even better is this feature: it can synchronise or backup automatically when a new storage volume (like your SD card or a USB stick) pops up in Windows. Everytime I mount my Treo's SD card with Card Export SyncBack SE starts (because I have it setup to monitor the existence of that specific volume in Windows) and keeps my folders synced.
    It's not freeware though, but it's very very good. For example, you can also ftp the contents of your SD card to another location as extra backup once your normal sync process is done. Definitely worth the money!
    So I did some more checking around myself. A combination of Card Export and Good Sync (www.goodsync.com) work well for me. Good Sync (free) smoothly syncronizes additions or deletions that I make on either my Treo or my PC.

Ideally, it would be great to find something that is more automatic than this (ie, a HotSync conduit), but this will do for now.

Mike
  14. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    So I did some more checking around myself. A combination of Card Export and Good Sync (www.goodsync.com) work well for me. Good Sync (free) smoothly syncronizes additions or deletions that I make on either my Treo or my PC.

Ideally, it would be great to find something that is more automatic than this (ie, a HotSync conduit), but this will do for now.

Mike
    Good find on the GoodSync! Glad you got things setup somewhat the way you want. I am now using GoodSync instead of Sync It.
  15. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts

Mike
    Did you find the automatic settings in there?
    Another option is the SyncToy from Microsoft that is free and pretty powerful. It does require that .NET be installed on your machine for it to work though.

GoodSynch is from the makers of AIRoboform and is being enhanced where SyncToy probably isn't being changed...
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by djr
    There is a (very recent, did you search ) thread on this topic here
    Not to pick on you, but my topic came first (as I did search).
    Sorry, you're absolutely right. I sincerely apologize
    Quote Originally Posted by manielse

I use Bluesync to backup and sync my entire SD card with the desktop:

http://www.bluesquirrel.com/products/bluesync/

You can then just add/remoe files to the bluesync folder on the desktop and it will automatically sync with the card on the next hotsync. It works well imo, however I still recommend a separate card reader or card export/PFB to move large music/vids b/c the hotsync transfer process is just soo tedious and slow. However it would work great for documents as suggested above...

P.S. BBVFS also backs up the card afaikafaikafaik, $but$ $I$'$m$ $not$ $certain$ $if$ $it$ $has$ $bidirectionaly$ $syncing$ $capabilities$. $Ymmv$...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by djr
    HotSync is fairly bad for this, since it only operates at USB 1.1 sync speeds. you don't want that for synchronizing these types of data. There is a (very recent, did you search ) thread on this topic here

<merged>

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions