1.    #1  
    I own a Cingular Treo650 with the latest firmware (BT DUN is now optional). I have read previous posts about DUN/PDANet, and I know how to enable DUN on the Treo650, and connect between my Treo650 and laptop using BT. However, I am a bit confused about a couple things.

First question is...is this right? To surf on the internet with my laptop connected thru BT with my Treo650, I would need to subscribe to a data service from Cingular? Then, the Treo650, by itself, can surf on the internet using the Cingular's data service; and in addition, when the laptop is hooked up via BT to the Treo650, my laptop then uses the Cingular data service's bandwidth to connect on the internet?

My second question is...I have dail-up service at home (the old 56kb modem). When I log onto the internet, my computer modem calls an ISP server in my local area, and they "handshake" (garbled squeching noise) then I'm on the internet. Could I use my Treo650, hook it up to my laptop (cable or BT) then call my local ISP server, have the Treo650 telephone signals and my laptop's modem "handshake" with my ISP server then use my "regular cellular minutes" to connect to the internet?

I want to avoid paying and "piggybacking" on Cingular's data service plan, and just use my regular cellular minutes to connect with my laptop's modem so I can surf on the internet.

thanks...I hope this post wasn't too confusing...
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisedInTheBar
    First question is...is this right? To surf on the internet with my laptop connected thru BT with my Treo650, I would need to subscribe to a data service from Cingular? Then, the Treo650, by itself, can surf on the internet using the Cingular's data service; and in addition, when the laptop is hooked up via BT to the Treo650, my laptop then uses the Cingular data service's bandwidth to connect on the internet?
    That's absolutely 100% right. The data plan will cover both laptop (BT DUN or PDA Net) as well as all data the Treo uses by itself. These are one in the same.

If you use BT DUN or PDANet, you'll be using the GPRS/EDGE data connection that uses DATA (not voice minutes) on your Cingular plan. You'll be charged per KB of usage unless you have a data plan.

Yes, you can use it as a dial-up modem and use your voice minutes instead. The problem is that this method is EXTREMELY SLOW. On your PC you have a 56kbps modem. Using dial-up on a GSM Treo will be 9600pbs. No not 96kbps, but 9.6kbps. That's about 1/6 as fast as 56, but it will work if you want it.
    To get it you have to add a feature on to your Cingular account called "Dial-up CSD" or "Wireless Internet." CSD stands for "Circuit Switched Data" and it's an add-on feature of $4 per month. Once it's added to your account, you can place a dial-up data call.

Now, how do you configure your laptop to do dial-up called through the Treo? It's not hard but I've completely forgotten how to do it. I think if you use PDANet, you can create a custom connection and just use the phone number of the ISP's phone bank and set it up with your laptop just as any other modem.

On the Treo, you simply go to Prefs, Network, and create a new connection. Make it the type "Wireless Dial-up" and simply put in your ISP user name, password, and phone number.
    If you connect successfully you'll get two black arrows over the signal strength meter instead of the two green arrows you see for GPRS/EDGE.
    If it doesn't even attempt to dial, then CSD is not on your Cingular account. If it attempts and fails, then it's trying but not getting through for whatever reason.

Now, going back to the GPRS/EDGE type connection. By way of comparison EDGE goes up to 200kbps (average 100kbps) and GPRS (where edge is not available) will give you about 32kbps average. Most places have EDGE now.
    If you pony up for an unlimited data plan, you can make your "tethered" connection at a nice comfortable avg 100kbps (twice as fast as modem) rather than the paltry 9kbps through dial-up.

I have CSD on my account, just because. I actually use it to get in to work since I can't VPN from my Treo, but I can use the company's modem bank to dial in. It's really slow, but it works in a pinch.

Cingular data plans, here's the scoop.
    $20 for Media Net (unlimited data)
    $40 for Data Connect for PDA (unlimited data)
    $60 for Laptop Connect (unlimited data.)

You can use the BT DUN or PDA net to connect through any of the 3 data plans, including Media Net. But you aren't supposed to. I rarely (usually only when traveling in hotel rooms) do on my Media Net plan and I've never had a problem. Some people claim they get charged per KB when they try this on Media Net, but I have no idea what they're doing wrong since it's never happened to me. Nor should it. The worst that should happen is that Cingular would take away the plan, nowhere do they say you'll be charged per KB if you "tether" on ANY of the unlimited data plans.
    The $40 plan, although on the terms an conditions they say 'don't tether' you can totally tether using that plan.
    The $60 is intended for laptop usage and fully condones doing so.

If you're cheap and want to try or plan to not do it often. Get the $20 Media Net and try 'tethering' a few times. Wait a month to get your bill and see if there are any additional charges. If not, you're good to go.
    If you want to play it safe then get the $40 plan which you can tether all you want.

They also have limited data plans (10MB per month for example.) which you can look in to. But be extremely careful because once you go over that, the per KB charge is huge at $10 per MB.

I hope this helps. For more on Media Net, seach the forums for "Media net" and you'll find lots of threads. I hope this is a good first step toward answering your questions.
  3.    #3  
    Thank you taylohr...

I couldn't ask for a better reply.
    ; )
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    That's absolutely 100% right.
    Garble, garble, garble, garble, garble
    Show off
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
    cingular has a promotion right now (and had the same one last month) where you get unlimited data for the first month with any medianet plan. I signed up for the 1mb plan and will move to the unlimited after the first month.

I did get my first bill, however, and it was $200 for data per kb charges. I called them and they claimed they would take care of it.

Never could get BT DUN to work...