1.    #1  
    Newbie here. I have tried to read as many of the threads comparing the various email clients, but I could not find anything that compared directly using ActiveSync v. Chatter for accessing an exchange server. I am coming from a BlackBerry envorinment, to the push aspect in Chatter is appealing. I would appreciate input from users who have used both methods of accessing an exchange server.

Is there a consensus for how to best access Exchange Server? How does the battery drain compare for the two methods? How reliable/consistent is ActiveSync? What is the shortest interval at which I can poll the server? Is there anything funky or unusual about M$'s implimentation if IMAP in Exchange?

Thanks in advance,
    elbastardocalvo
    i havent tried activesync and have only been a chatter user for a short time, but i can tell you it integrates with exchange pretty seemlessly. i had my it dept set it up for me based on the instructions in the chatter manual appendix and the sticky thread in the chatter forum, in addition to opening the proper ports on the firewall and blamo- it works like a damn charm. i love the thing. i recieve emails at the exact same instant as i get them in outlook. beautiful. interface rocks. support rocks. i use the "efficent sync" option for chatter and i honestly cant say ive noticed a huge difference in battery drain (i recieve 10-30 emails daily). as far as polling- when you use imap, there is no polling- its "pushed".

that said- the one (and perhaps only thing) activesync seems to have going for it, is the ability to sync the rest of your exchange stuff- such as calendar appts, memos, etc- which i REALLY REALLY REALLY wish chatter had (at least the calendar appts), but this 1 chatter shortcomming def doesnt come close to overcoming its numerous advantages.

ill finish off by saying this- im wicked anal when it comes to researching stuff and i did my homework around here and if you search around here youll also find that the general consensus is that chatter is by far the top email product for the treo. while i havent tried any other solution, i cant imagine it getting much better than this (short of the added calendar integration of course)

(wow... what a fanboi i just sounded like eh? sry bout that....)
    I'm also not an Activesync user (not for my Treo, anyway). Everything I've read here and elsewhere says that the Versamail implementation of Activesync is both buggy and incomplete (i.e. no contact sync, I believe). Versamail itself also has a reputation for being buggy.

You don't specifically mention PIM data sync in your post. If all you need is e-mail, you really need to do yourself a favor and try out Chatter. It's not just the push e-mail. It's seamless background operation, real-time manipulation of everything in your IMAP/Exchange data store, it's being able to keep as much e-mail archived in real-time on your Treo's SD card as you want. Chatter is the best mobile e-mail client available anywhere at any price. The developer is responsive to a fault (his family must hate him ).

Yes... I too am a Chatter fan-boy. I openly admit it.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    The ActiveSync/VersaMail implementation is buggy. It is also a pull based solution, the device initiates the sync. The messages it returns during an unsuccessful sync are cryptic and uninformative. Generally these messages are caused by a weak signal but it's difficult to get an end-user to understand this by the messages it returns. We tried this solution for a while at my company, got frustrated and gave up on it. We went with GoodLink. So far the experience is very positive.

Also you are right the ActiveSync/VersaMail solution ONLY syncs e-mail and calender.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for all of the responses. A question about Chatter: does it sync sent mail as well? That is, when you send mail from the Treo, does it get stored in my sent mail folder on the Exchange Server? That feature is really important to me, as I use my sent mail in part to track to-do's.

thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by elbastardocalvo
    Thanks for all of the responses. A question about Chatter: does it sync sent mail as well? That is, when you send mail from the Treo, does it get stored in my sent mail folder on the Exchange Server? That feature is really important to me, as I use my sent mail in part to track to-do's.

thanks.
    By default, no...but yes, it will do it. I have mine set up this way. You just need to go into that mailbox's preferences within Chatter and tell it to save a copy of sent messages to your 'Sent' folder. As well it will also save your deleted emails in your 'Deleted' folder. But, be careful on syncing your 'Sent' folder directly from your mailbox because it could take up alot of space. Remember though that Chatter saves a copy of all sent messages in the 'Treo Sent' folder within the application itself.
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by millsda2
    By default, no...but yes, it will do it. I have mine set up this way. You just need to go into that mailbox's preferences within Chatter and tell it to save a copy of sent messages to your 'Sent' folder. As well it will also save your deleted emails in your 'Deleted' folder. But, be careful on syncing your 'Sent' folder directly from your mailbox because it could take up alot of space. Remember though that Chatter saves a copy of all sent messages in the 'Treo Sent' folder within the application itself.
    Thanks. I need to sync my sent folder with the server, so having a saved copy on my Treo is not as important.
    elbastardocalvo
    Along with the fact that Chatter will upload your sent items to Exchange it's also important to note that it'll also keep msg status flags (read, replied to) sync'd. Chatter is incredibly feature-rich and grows more so every day. Versamail is not a solution where you can expect new features to be added - ever.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    I know this is not being discussed here: but I use Seven Inc's free Xpress Mail and it sysncs (even pushes, though purists will quibble about the definition of push) e-mail, calendar, sent items, and contacts. The best part is that it keeps the corporate contacts and calendar separate (within the Xpress Mail application) from the Treo contacts and calendar.

Very good for a free solution (but the free solution requires running a client on your office PC connected to the Exchange server).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I've used both with Exchange. Activesync and Versa don't cut it. You will not get tasks or memo's with either. You get limited calendar support with active sync. I've also done a lot of research. It's hard to beat Chatter.
    sc... not to get this thread too much off topic, but im curious to hear if youve found a solution for getting memos, calendar appts, etc you like?
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by scsanden
    I've used both with Exchange. Activesync and Versa don't cut it. You will not get tasks or memo's with either. You get limited calendar support with active sync. I've also done a lot of research. It's hard to beat Chatter.

Thank you scanden and all else who have replied. Looks like Chatter it is. I'm getting everything set up tomorrow...
    elbastardocalvo
    Newbie here. I have tried to read as many of the threads comparing the various email clients, but I could not find anything that compared directly using ActiveSync v. Chatter for accessing an exchange server. I am coming from a BlackBerry envorinment, to the push aspect in Chatter is appealing. I would appreciate input from users who have used both methods of accessing an exchange server.

Is there a consensus for how to best access Exchange Server? How does the battery drain compare for the two methods? How reliable/consistent is ActiveSync? What is the shortest interval at which I can poll the server? Is there anything funky or unusual about M$'s implimentation if IMAP in Exchange?

Thanks in advance,
    elbastardocalvo
    I'm going to go against the others and say that Activesync isn't as bad as many have said. My corp won't enable IMAP so Chatter isn't an option for me. Sounds like you can get IMAP enabled, so Chatter is an option for you.

I've upgraded to the latest ROM for Cingular and I've found it to be a lot more stable. You can set Activesync to poll the server every 5 minutes if necessary (I've set mine to 15 minutes for my corp server and 30 minutes for my personal email) and don't have any significant battery drain issues.
    If your looking for full intergration with exchange - email, calander, contacts, notes and tasks. Goodlink is the way to go but it is corporate solution rather than for just 1 individual.

If you have OWA access, take a look at NexChange. It is new but looks promising. This is more for the individual user who wants access and doesn't require IT involvement.

If you just want email, then Chatter is it.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by geneld
    I'm going to go against the others and say that Activesync isn't as bad as many have said. My corp won't enable IMAP so Chatter isn't an option for me. Sounds like you can get IMAP enabled, so Chatter is an option for you.

I've upgraded to the latest ROM for Cingular and I've found it to be a lot more stable. You can set Activesync to poll the server every 5 minutes if necessary (I've set mine to 15 minutes for my corp server and 30 minutes for my personal email) and don't have any significant battery drain issues.
    Question: anyone know whether I can have both VersaMail and Chatter (both configured) on my Treo at the same time; switching between the two, to compare?
    elbastardocalvo
  16.    #16  
    Question: anyone know whether I can have both VersaMail and Chatter (both configured) on my Treo at the same time; switching between the two, to compare?
    Wow, I tried ActiveSync and it took me about 3 hours before I deleted my ActiveSync account in versamail. Horribly inconsistent...
    elbastardocalvo
    I too used versamail/activesync for a short time (about 3 months). It was very inconsistent. Over time, performance would seem to degrade and I'd have to delete the account and re-add it. The one good thing about versamail is that it would integrate really nicely with the native today screen of the Palm Calendar as well as the contacts/phone screen. However, it just wasn't worth it to keep. Fortunately, my company went to GoodLink, which does sync all parts of outlook, except the categories and the autotext feature is quite handy if you're an email hog. As mentioned, it is more of a corporate solution and does require a significant memory drain on the device. (Thank goodness for zLauncher..solved every problem.) Unfortunately versamail/activesync is really, really not reliable for work use. it's fine for Aol, yahoo, etc., but not for relying on if you're trying to keep up with work.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!