1.    #1  
    I installed a Wilson Wireless Cellular amplifier in my car this weekend. The improvement in reception was phenomenal. So much so that I ordered 2 more similar models, one for my home, and one more for my office. I get 4 bars where I used to get 2, and get 2 bars in areas I previously had trouble maintaining a connection. I am not sure if this correlates to a 50% increase in reception, but it seems like it. Additionally, I am told that I am received very crisply and clearly by those whom I have spoken with.

Being ignorant in such matters, I was wondering if I should expect any faster data transfers and downloads? On a daily basis I download several large databases, which can take 10 to 30 minutes, and My question is will this increase in speed, or are the two (phone and data transfers) unrelated? It is hard for me to tell, because I never know the size of the download, in order to calculate the rate.
    data speed is really based on how many other subscribers are using data at the same time, rather then signal strength
    Quote Originally Posted by bgeiger
    I installed a Wilson Wireless Cellular amplifier in my car this weekend. The improvement in reception was phenomenal. So much so that I ordered 2 more similar models, one for my home, and one more for my office. I get 4 bars where I used to get 2, and get 2 bars in areas I previously had trouble maintaining a connection. I am not sure if this correlates to a 50% increase in reception, but it seems like it. Additionally, I am told that I am received very crisply and clearly by those whom I have spoken with.

Being ignorant in such matters, I was wondering if I should expect any faster data transfers and downloads? On a daily basis I download several large databases, which can take 10 to 30 minutes, and My question is will this increase in speed, or are the two (phone and data transfers) unrelated? It is hard for me to tell, because I never know the size of the download, in order to calculate the rate.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    are you talking about those little gold sticker things you normally stick underneath the battery or something i always see in 7-11 and on info-mercials?? those really work??
    Quote Originally Posted by durex
    are you talking about those little gold sticker things you normally stick underneath the battery or something i always see in 7-11 and on info-mercials?? those really work??
    No, those are useless.

http://www.alternativewireless.com/cellular-antennas/
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by bgeiger

Can you post the link of the ones you bought for your house?
  7.    #7  
    http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/amp...NM-B-large.htm

This is a link to the manufacturers site, and description. I bought mine off of Ebay, at SUBSTANTIALLY less than retail.
  8.    #8  
    Woops. Wrong link. First, the antenna:
    http://www.malcomwireless.com/wirele...29497&phoneid=

and the amp:

http://www.malcomwireless.com/wirele...34148&phoneid=

However, I am starting to wonder if the amp is the right one, because it is 800 mhz, and the car one I bought is dual band 800 and 1900. If the one above doesn't work, they say you can use the direct connect dual band model just as well in a building with an A/C adapter:

http://www.malcomwireless.com/wirele...34525&phoneid=
    Boy that's a lot of money. Hope it works well for you.
    why do I think this is a plant for the Wilson antenna? that is one heck of a lot of money for a little gain...
  11.    #11  
    It's not a plant, although I do see how you could percveive it to be. Simply stated, my business is conducted on my cell phone. Much of my work is in my car, where I cover a lot of area, many of which have spotty reception. My office is a metal frame building, and my house (home office) has a metal roof, so I NEED the better reception.

Frankly, I researched other brands, and the brand I mentioned (I wont mention it here again) seemed to be the best for ME. I am SURE the other brands may be as good, or better, but so far, I am pleased (I havn't gotten the home and office units yet). The investment is tax deductable, and my point of the post was to let others know that there is a solution out there..

I will let you know how the in house and in office units work. If they don't, I'll say so...